Suggestions for AMD based desktop

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
Home use. Occasional gaming. Office application, Full HD video play, Home media server.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
25 to 30 K. Lesser the better.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
Linux distros primarily PCLinuxOS. Windows 10. Windows XP until then.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
Have 160 GB and 320 GB HDDs from old desktop. Planning to use them for the time being.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
Have DELL S2240L FullHD monitor. Planning to use the same.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
HDD, Monitor, Optical drive, peripherals.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
Depending on availability of components and cash within a week or a month latest.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
Yes. Preferably self. But may use help of assembler if he threatens not to support me unless done by him.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
I live in northern parts of Kerala. Online is the only option for availability. May be able to get a few components from Bangalore in a pinch.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
* My current motherboard got fried by a lightning strike. (Will try to get serviced but time to upgrade anyway.)

* I would prefer AMD based build as it is my interest to support them.

* How about A10-78xx APU (the top one or one step below that)? There are twin objectives of needing enough processing to be able to play a few games once in a while at the same time keeping power consumption minimum for prolonged running as torrent machine/media server. Hence thinking of APU now and add a better GPU later.

* I plan to put an 8 GB single stick RAM now with option of stepping upto 16 GB dual channel later by adding another 8 GB stick.

* I will need a good power supply for the resulting rig.

* And a USB3 supporting cabinet.

* Not planning SSD as of now. But an option in the motherboard for the future would be nice. Also would be nice to have eSATA?

NOTE - The price may be negotiable if I can arrange resource but would like to stick to the budget for now.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
A10 7850K -12000,
MSI A88XM-E35 -4700,
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4500,
Antec GX300 Windowed -3700,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3700.
TOTAL -28,600.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Thank you. Few doubts:
1. Have HDD need PSU.
2. Does the CPU need separate cooling or does it come with fan/cooler?
3. Could you tell me the online retailer that has these?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thank you. Few doubts:
1. Have HDD need PSU.
2. Does the CPU need separate cooling or does it come with fan/cooler?
3. Could you tell me the online retailer that has these?

1. Antec VP550 -4400,
2. No Stock heatsink is enough for normal usage but if you need to overclock then need to buy after market heatsink like Cooler Master Hyper 212x -3200,
3. flipkart & snapdeal

A10 7850K -12000,
MSI A88XM-E35 -4700,
Antec VP550 -4400.
TOTAL -29,300.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=139416]sling-shot[/MENTION],

Take a look of this configuration, maybe it will fulfill your requirement.

AMD FX-8350
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD Blue 1TB
Seasonic S12II 520W

For better performance and for the life of your system, you just add a good casing for PC and combine with a liquid cooling system on it.

Good Luck.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Hi [MENTION=139416]sling-shot[/MENTION],

Take a look of this configuration, maybe it will fulfill your requirement.

AMD FX-8350
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD Blue 1TB
Seasonic S12II 520W

For better performance and for the life of your system, you just add a good casing for PC and combine with a liquid cooling system on it.

Good Luck.
No graphics card internal or external in this build.

DK_WD

WD Official
No graphics card internal or external in this build.

Hi [MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION],

OP request for the PC build without the GPU. He will add the GPU in the future as he mentioned.

* How about A10-78xx APU (the top one or one step below that)? There are twin objectives of needing enough processing to be able to play a few games once in a while at the same time keeping power consumption minimum for prolonged running as torrent machine/media server. Hence thinking of APU now and add a better GPU later.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Hi [MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION],

OP request for the PC build without the GPU. He will add the GPU in the future as he mentioned.

But, AMD FX-8350 doesn't have a IGP. So, OP has to buy one dedicated GPU to get it working. Correct me If I am wrong.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Yes indeed. As my initial idea was for an APU, I thought a discrete GPU is not needed now. Further I am have a Radeon HD4670 card, will it tide me over until I get a proper card? (I have a hesitation against a build with only one Gpu as suggested above because in case of GPU/Card failure I will be left without a desktop until it is fixed/replaced.

My previous desktop has had 2 motherboards both with IGP as a fallback option.
I planned to start with the APU now and add a card 1 year later.

Also if I am not able to arrange the budget outright, I will buy piecemeal and in that case would it be a better idea to buy RAM/Cabinet /PSU first and get GPU/CPU/Motherboard last? Is there any chance of a more powerful/efficient generation around in the next month or so making me a fool?

--------
EDIT 1:
The APU suggested above seems to be rated 45W as compared to another top chip at 125W. Does that mean it is powerefficient?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
what about,
i5 4440 -12k
asus b85m g- 5.5k or asus h97 pro
kingston hyperx fury 4gb-2.5k
seasonic s12ii 520- 5k
itt should be more than enough for your uses..
from the uses you listed, i dont think you need more than 4gb ram though.
add a good enough gpu if you would like to play latest games smoothly.
BTW, where do you stay in kerala?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The RAM part is a luxury now but turn out useful later. (My present desktop was assembled with 512 MB RAM which I soon found out inadequate and added 1 GB later. After another 2 years added 2 more GB. Due to all this I ended up not being able to use dual channel even though the motherboard of that time supported it.

I am near Kannur.

I am an AMD supporter and want to help them stay in the fight. Hence AMD only unless critical. (At present considering the better open source support of Intel it looks foolish but still...)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The RAM part is a luxury now but turn out useful later. (My present desktop was assembled with 512 MB RAM which I soon found out inadequate and added 1 GB later. After another 2 years added 2 more GB. Due to all this I ended up not being able to use dual channel even though the motherboard of that time supported it.

I am near Kannur.

I am an AMD supporter and want to help them stay in the fight. Hence AMD only unless critical. (At present considering the better open source support of Intel it looks foolish but still...)

A10 7850K -12000,
MSI A88XM-E35 -4700,
Antec GX300 Windowed -3700, (theitdepot.com)
Antec VP550 -4400.
TOTAL -29,300.
Above prices are from flipkart.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

I am near Kannur.

it is fine. but that uses dont ask more than 4gb though.
BTW, where in kannur. I am there too!

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Taliparamba.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My assembler says a Zebronics AM2 compatible board is available. I will buy it for around 3K now and start buying the new rig piecemeal. At first I will get cabinet, PSU, RAM and then CPU, motherboard. So if a new generation / better offer is available for these critical / non-changeable parts arrives I can get those instead.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Taliparamba.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My assembler says a Zebronics AM2 compatible board is available. I will buy it for around 3K now and start buying the new rig piecemeal. At first I will get cabinet, PSU, RAM and then CPU, motherboard. So if a new generation / better offer is available for these critical / non-changeable parts arrives I can get those instead.

Dont ever buy that Zebronics AM2 MB. Buy online.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I do not see any other AM2 board online :-(

Why AM2 Mobo when you asked for a new config above, right na...

Go with this config:
A10 7850K -12000,
MSI A88XM-E35 -4700,
Antec VP550 -4400.
TOTAL -29,300.

or this Config:

AMD FX 8350 -13500,
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 -4600,
Antec VP550 -4400.
TOTAL -30,700.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
AM2 motherboard gives me a working desktop now as I wait for all pieces of my new desktop to arrive in instalments over 1 to 2 months as I get the money together.

Further once I have the new rig ready this could either be used as a backup in case of failure or donate it to a cousin of mine who might be happy to have it.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
How about A10-7800 for the APU? Not available directly in India I think but newegg.com lists it at 8,944 Rs. (*www.newegg.com/global/in/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113372)

According to this article in tomshardware.com it fits my needs of a low power setup while delivering performance within 90% of A10-7850K. (AMD A10-7800 APU Review Verdict - Tom's Hardware)

Top Bottom