Suggestions for a desktop config

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilesh82

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I wouldn't normally start a new thread but I really need some advice that is specific to me.

I need a budget config to upgrade my cyrix-based machine from 1999 (running Win95) which died recently.

* I intend to run Ubuntu Linux on it. Dual boot setup though. I have a spare harddisk (100GB Seagate ATA) lying around that I can use.

* No gaming at all. Nothing more graphics intensive than watching movies will be done on this. For sound & video, basics will suffice.

* 99% time to be used for office apps & browsing.

* I would like to add a 17"/19" LCD monitor to this setup very soon. The graphics card (onboard or additional) must be capable of driving this. I will be using my additional 14" CRT with this machine for now.

Other things like LAN, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth will be very nice to have. But I am really tight on the budget. Saving the cash for getting an Asus EEE laptop.:)

Here are my questions:

* Would it be a good idea to get a second-hand P4 machine? How much can I expect that to cost? Remember, I do not need a monitor and hard disk.

* How has been your experience (if any) with purchase of used equipment?

*What config do you experts suggest for building a new machine? As you can see, I was still using my 1999 machine for more than 8 years !! This new machine will be used for 3-4 years. As my computing needs are pretty isolated from the outside world, I wouldn't worry too much about the upgrade cycle or future-proofing the machine. Not at the cost of price !

* Should I wait till the union budget is announced?

Thanks in advance.

slugger

Banned
* Would it be a good idea to get a second-hand P4 machine?

buyin a second hand rig ig highly unrecommended - if sum hw does go kaput u will b in deep **** tryin to find compatible hwz

take a look at the entrry level-rig in this thread, deduct the price of monitor and HDD and u will have a entry-level righ with contemporary hw and Co guarantee with it

*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71700

as 4 budget, well i am not sure if the FM wil anounce any tax cuts on comp hw this yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom