suggestion needed on upgrading old pc

sanny16

Journeyman
I have a 6 year old Desktop. It has IDE hdd connection. Currently pc config is 512 mb ddr1 ram and 80gb hdd, intel pentium 4 with win xp. I want to upgrade it in order to increase its speed for processing a task. Can i add wifi card in the cpu cabinet? how many gb of ram and hdd can i add ? And kindly write the cost of the suggested hardware along with its specifications.

Cilus

laborare est orare
There is no point of upgrading that, you won't find any compatible components now a days which actually makes the computer powerful. Even your HDD can't be used with newer Motherboards don't support IDE ports. Better spend some money and get the following:-
Intel Pentium G630 @ 3.5K
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H @ 3.2K
Corsair 1333 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 Ram @ 1.2K
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD @ 3.9K

Regarding Wifi, you can buy a USB Wifi dongle around 600 bucks which can be used to access wifi in your Desktop.

OP
sanny16

sanny16

Journeyman
@Cilus For upgrading the processor to G630 i would have to change the motherboard.. is that rite? how much will the motherboard cost? I went to a computer shop today morning to ask about the cost of the following:

1. 160 GB WD 7200 rpm internal IDE hdd at rs. 2250 (160gb is the highest supported config for the desktop according to the shop person)
2. 1GB DDR RAM 400 MHZ at rs.1450 (I already have 512 mb ram in 1 slot and and only 1 slot remaining)
3. WIFI card at rs.750 and USB dongle at rs.850.

I just want to verify the above said prices. Is this reasonable?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
G620 costs ~3000 & motherboard gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H costs ~3100.don't waste your money anymore on your old config.you are mistaken about increasing the processing of a task by simply adding ram.sure it will help if you launch a lot of processes/load multiple processes faster at startup but it won't make your pc perform a task faster once it is loaded.also hard disk has no relation what so ever with task processing speed.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, I have suggested you a whole config, including Motherboard
Even if you upgrade your system with another 1 GB Ram, I don't think it can handle any of the today's works, apart from Internet browsing. Even playing HD movies on it will be problematic. Better get a new system as I have suggested.

Buddy, I have suggested you a whole config, including Motherboard
Even if you upgrade your system with another 1 GB Ram, I don't think it can handle any of the today's works, apart from Internet browsing. Even playing HD movies on it will be problematic. Better get a new system as I have suggested.

delhiuser

Broken In
Cilus and whitestar rightly suggested newer system. However, you've not revealed your budget. It looks like you're ready to invest about 5k, but newer system need atleat 10k. So, sell old system & re-invest those into newer system. It has many advantages too.

acewin

Point Blanc
even internet browsing will lag.
for 1K extra this is a very good board Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

about 160GB, shopkeeper lied, I myself have added 500 GB IDE drive to P4 system

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i think it depends on which p4 cpu it is and which mobo too.. doesn't it ???

and the mobo will allow you to put in a decent cpu later on.
i'm also going buy the mobo within the next few days.
a forum member bought if for 3.9 k recently.

aloodum

Journeyman
@@ sanny16: What exact area are you looking to increase performance?
It would be very helpful to forum members to assess your current system if we had more details.This assessment would also help in fixing a selling price for your components if you plan to part with it :)

Eg: speed of cpu in Mhz/Ghz, Motherboard Model
Does it support upgrade options as AGP/PCI-E slots..

OP
sanny16

sanny16

Journeyman
I am looking to increase the speed and multi tasking by adding some component. I need more space for storing data in that system.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
*i.imgur.com/mUEPc.png?1
This config is based upon the suggestions made by many members, I think this is the cheapest config you can get.
BTW the screenshot is from Flipkart.

I am looking to increase the speed and multi tasking by adding some component. I need more space for storing data in that system.

1. You can add more ram to your system to increase its performance.
2. You can still get an IDE HDD locally, you have to search:-D

Last edited:
Top Bottom