Suggestion for buying 1660 GTX

akash22

Journeyman
1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ? Gaming or workstation work? (Name few Games or applications are you going to run)
Ans: Gaming @1080p. Mainly esports like DOTA, PUBG and WoW. Maybe few new titles like Apex Legends, Titanfall, etc

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: Corsair 500W with 1x 6pin PCIe connector

3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: Around 18-20k but flexible.

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: 1080p

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans: Windows 7, I5-6500, 16GB DDR4, XFX Radeon 5770, Samsung 750 SSD, Seagate 1TB HDD

I was wondering to get 1650 or 1660ti, then again I didn't want to spend more for ti
NOTE: I will buy Molex connector to solve the power issue

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
which psu do you have?Using a molex to pcie converter is not a good idea-it could damage the gpu or psu or both if not done properly.

*www.amazon.in/ZOTAC-Gaming-GeForce...660&qid=1566141531&refresh=1&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Register & get 5 years of warranty.

I hope you have a decent PSU, 500W bronze one will be sufficient. Mention the exact model as others suggested.

OP
akash22

akash22

Journeyman
I have Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAR-D3) which is like 7 years old or less probably as I had faced some issues and being in warranty CM got me replaced with new one.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAR-D3) which is like 7 years old or less probably as I had faced some issues and being in warranty CM got me replaced with new one.
Not a good psu for running cards like 1660,better get corsair CX550 too.

OP
akash22

akash22

Journeyman
which psu do you have?Using a molex to pcie converter is not a good idea-it could damage the gpu or psu or both if not done properly.

I am not talking about converter, but connector.
*www.amazon.in/Generic-Express-Mole...BH441Q?tag=googinhydr18418-21#customerReviews

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not talking about converter, but connector.
*www.amazon.in/Generic-Express-Mole...BH441Q?tag=googinhydr18418-21#customerReviews
He too was talking about this only,such connectors are ok for running hdd but not recommended for running a 10k+ card not to mention any psu requiring such connector for running a card is not good to begin with.

Okay.

Placed order for *www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PF8YTCX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's US website. You can get 1660Ti in India for the price of that GPU+import duties+shipping from Amazon US, unless someone is bringing it for you. In that case, you can buy 1660Ti from US. No warranty though.

OP
akash22

akash22

Journeyman
That is US site,why would you place order there.

VS series is good only for very basic systems,CX450 is the minimum recommended good psu & with a good graphics card CX550 is minimum recommended.

I have a friend who is getting it from US. I know about the warranty will be void but it will be more like a gift so no worries :)

Ok.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get a new Corsair CX550 and Zotac GTX 1660 (with at least 2 fans and big heatsinks)

OP
akash22

akash22

Journeyman
UPDATE: Almost 6 months using 1660 with my old PSU (4pin x2 PCIe converter), no issues yet. Apex , fortnight, dota, etc being played.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-09 at 12.09.35 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-03-09 at 12.15.01 PM.jpeg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE: Almost 6 months using 1660 with my old PSU (4pin x2 PCIe converter), no issues yet. Apex , fortnight, dota, etc being played.

View attachment 18865 View attachment 18866
You have been lucky so far but 6 months is nothing,a bad/weak psu may result in issues even 2-3 years later. Basically if you have the money then buy corsair CX450 or 550(preferred) as you won't be losing anything(other than 3-4k which considering spending on something that can easily last 5 years is nothing) compared to running an old psu with a chance of losing something.

quicky008

Technomancer
@annindyadas : CM extreme is one of the worst PSUs ever manufactured by Cooler master-you're taking a huge risk by powering such an expensive gpu with such an old and unreliable psu.

Even Corsair's newer VS 450(grey-label) for 2.4k is perhaps a better choice than your cm psu.

mitraark

Decrepit
I have a CX400 bought in 2011 and a VS450 bought in 2012. Both still going strong. They are definitely worth spending the money.

Top Bottom