Suggest me a dual boot x64config XP/Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I need to reformat & want to get a speedy system with optimized hardware for heavy graphic work so need suggestion for a dual boot config having xp x64 & vista x64 & may be Ubunutu x64 too. I need to compare & benchmark the 3 x64 systems for speed & multi tasking so how should I install it & in what order, so all 3 OS get best of the available hdd speed & ram.

1. Xp > vista > ubunutu(all x64).........is this correct order?

2. should I install
C:/xp,
D:/vista,
E:/ubnutu
on the same drives but different partition on the same hdd.
or
I should have OS in 3 separate drives 1st partition (hdd outer area spin faster & will give speed boost to OS) I already have 3 disk with me.

3. Can I install 3 OS in separate hard disk in single boot mode 1by1 & then attach all 3 hdd & create a dual/triple boot menu so all can be used but they remain separate with each other so if one gets affected others work seamlessly?

4.Suppose I install XP then vista & if XP gets corrupted, can I reinstall Xp then without affecting Vista since the xp boot loader will then hide vista?

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I say better go with 3 OS on 3 drives config. I'm too having the same deal. I tell u my personal experience.
I installed Vista on my 640GB HDD's 40GB partition. Then I installed XP on another 40GB partition of the same HDD. Both OS 64-bit. After installing XP, every time system booted, XP was automatically loaded, no option for Dua-booting Vista too. So I removed XP but when tried to boot into Vista, its record in MBR were nowhere to be found. Tried to recover it but didn't worked so had to Re-install Vista.
On my seperate 160GB HDD I installed OpenSUSE 64-bit in a 60GB RAW area left for Linux only. GRUB recognised Vista and allows dual-boot too.
Since there can be only 4 primary partitions and OS can be installed only on a Primary partition so u have to consider this fact and also the fact that the OS to be installed last on a HDD gains the control to the MBR that's why even if u want to dua-boot or tri-boot a system off a single HDD, its better to install the Linux in last as GRUB can recognize and handle all other Boot records of different OS. If u need to re-format and install Windows on the same HDD as that of Linux, u want be able to access Linux as GRUB would be over written. in such cases u will have to just recover the GRUB and everything would be fine.
P.S- Forum members, if I'm wrong, please do correct me :-?

teamonesolutions

Right off the assembly line
Application compatibility remains one of the most annoying problems for Microsoft Windows Vista users. The ability to upgrade the software to a new Windows Vista compatible version is not always a good option.The major problem is that the vendor that developed the particular application may no longer available or the cost to upgrade to new version is too high.So in order to run the older applications it is better to dual boot Windows Vista and XP together in the same computer.

Dual booting Windows XP and Vista on the same computer will allow you to select proper operating system from a boot menu that pop up's during the booting process says what operating sytem you want to run. This pop up window is displayed right after you power on your computer.Installing both Windows XP and Windows Vista on one computer can be a little hard depending upon what operating system you have installed first on your computer.This article will help you to configure both versions of Windows on your computer, depending on what Windows Version you have installed first:

If Windows XP is installed first:

If you want to dual boot Windows XP and Vista and Windows XP is previously installed on your computer you will not have to do much work to dual boot with Windows Vista. Just boot to your Windows Vista installation DVD, select custom install option and install Windows Vista on a separate partition or physical drive than where Windows XP is installed.It is important that the disk partition to which the Windows Vista is installed,has at least 20GB space. The Windows Vista installation will leave your Windows XP install intact and automatically install a proper boot menu with both XP and Vista listed.

If Windows Vista is installed first:

If you want to dual boot Windows XP and Vista and Windows Vista is previously installed on your computer you will have to do much work to dual boot with Windows XP.If you are completely formatted your hard drive and wiped out Windows XP when you installed Vista, your setup is going to be a little more complicated. Follow these steps to dual boot Windows Vista with XP:

* Boot up your computer with a Windows XP installation CD and install Windows XP to a different partition or physical drive than where Windows Vista is installed. When the XP installation setup is finished, your computer will automatically boot into Windows XP only. Don’t worry about it because Windows Vista is still on your computer if you correctly installed Windows XP to a different partition or physical drive.
* When you installed Windows XP on a Vista system, the Vista Boot Manager components was replaced by the Windows XP boot components.So in order to get proper boot menu,the corrupted Vista Boot Manager needs to be fixed by using the Windows Vista installation DVD. Boot your computer with the Windows Vista installation DVD , click Next on the regional settings screen and then click on the option Repair your computer in the lower left of the window. Select your Windows Vista install and then run the Startup Repair. This will fix the Windows Boot Manager and Vista will once again startup automatically.
* After the fixing of Vista boot manager, we need to add an entry to the Windows Boot Manger for Windows XP. This task is done through the Windows Vista. When you are back in Windows Vista, open an administrative level command prompt(elevated command prompt) window and run the following commands:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"
bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot
bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

* Reboot your computer and test out the new boot menu.

Dual boot the Windows XP and Vista has now been configured on your computer. You will be now able to enjoy the benefits and enhancements of Windows Vista without giving up the ability to run older applications and games that require Windows XP.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Ok so I should plan 3 OS in separate hdd 1st partition of 40Gb each & rest of the space can be used for storage on each.

C:/-xp x64 (1st hdd)
D:/ data storage

E:/-vista x64 (2nd hdd)
F:/ data storage

G:/ Ubunutu x64 (3rd hdd)
H:/ data storage

I:/ scratch disk /temp space (4th disk 1st partition)
J:/ data storage (long term)

Any downside of doing the above??? or things which I should take care before setting up this system. I will update the BIOS of my mobo & will get all the latest drivers before I start.

what happens in a case of re-format and re-installs of XP since that will have all the boot records as it was installed 1st?
Will the entire system go down or there is a way that XP can be reinstalled by taking the backup of MBR (if possible) & not affecting the Vista & linux.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Make the Linux's HDD as Primary boot device as it can easily handle multiple boot records and there will be no problem with ur above config of booting as it wud make ur system even more resilient to faults as u'll have 2 back up OS. In case u need to re-format XP or Vista, make sure u make their HDD as Primary HDD otherwise their files like NTLDR etc would be loaded in ur HDD made primary before that.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Just a spin to the original plan.
How about using a raptor disk 150 gb for the 3 OS+scratch disk (total 4 partition)all on one super fast hdd.
specs can be found here *tinyurl.com/5jcvrv

Will raptor having 3OS on same disk be quite faster than the normal 3 seperate hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom