Suggest me a Bike within 55k

nx112

Broken In
Hi all,
I want to Purchase a bike as soon as possible.

My preference is MILEAGE also of 65+ .My clg is a way far from my home (about 23 km from my home) and the complete journey from home to cg and clg to home is 46km and i have to go to clg at least 4-5 days in a week (no bus after 1st year),so please suggest me a bike that give me more mileage.
also don't suggest me "office Bikes" like ct 100,splender,boxer etc.

I don't want to go with Honda Cb Twister as it a way stylish(sport look) and my friends will not listen to me and drive faster.I am already facing problem with my current bike due to that.
I am currently going to my clg with my younger bro yamaha Gladiator.At the time of buy the average is 65 and now it is giving only 50 kmpl which is really bad against the petrol rate which is very very high in India.

Bikes in my mind:- TVS STAR SPORTS and BAJAJ DISCOVER 100 cc .Both giving average of 70+ kmpl .
Please provide your suggestions as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards,
nx112

I have a similar budget for my next bike (already saved the cash up) but I think its best to wait till May if you can afford to wait (I'm driving a 1999 Suzuki Samurai now). Reason is Bajaj is launching a completely new commuter bike (mostly a next gen discover) and Suzuki is launching Hayate and Honda is launching Dream Yuga, and they all are going to be in the 55-60k price range and offer good mileage.

Right now options for you are Discover 100 (mileage tends to drop from 85 to 65 within 2 years is what all my discover 100 owning friends warn me) at 50k, TVS Star Sports at 48k (this might be a nice buy I guess), TVS Star City at 51k (bigger bro of Star Sports but slightly lesser mileage), Hero Honda CD Deluxe (48k with self start + alloys) but the current CD100 engine gives only 65-70kmpl but it gives this consistently.

Another option is Bajaj Discover 125 @ 56.5k that feels somewhat sporty when riding alone, but has the same niggling bajaj issues and quality drop after 2 years (which is why it is best to wait till May).

Finally, if you are buying a bike right now, the best option IMO (if you ignore Suzuki's lack of service centers in smaller cities) is Suzuki Slingshot 125cc that costs 54.5k onroad. Though I have not driven this personally, I have driven the Zeus that has the same engine, and it has lots of bottom end torque (for moving around in traffic jams and humps and hilly roads) and a Gear Indicator that is really useful.

PS: All prices are onroad Bangalore and hence on a higher side...

OP
N

nx112

Broken In
I have a similar budget for my next bike (already saved the cash up) but I think its best to wait till May if you can afford to wait (I'm driving a 1999 Suzuki Samurai now). Reason is Bajaj is launching a completely new commuter bike (mostly a next gen discover) and Suzuki is launching Hayate and Honda is launching Dream Yuga, and they all are going to be in the 55-60k price range and offer good mileage.

Right now options for you are Discover 100 (mileage tends to drop from 85 to 65 within 2 years is what all my discover 100 owning friends warn me) at 50k, TVS Star Sports at 48k (this might be a nice buy I guess), TVS Star City at 51k (bigger bro of Star Sports but slightly lesser mileage), Hero Honda CD Deluxe (48k with self start + alloys) but the current CD100 engine gives only 65-70kmpl but it gives this consistently.

Another option is Bajaj Discover 125 @ 56.5k that feels somewhat sporty when riding alone, but has the same niggling bajaj issues and quality drop after 2 years (which is why it is best to wait till May).

Finally, if you are buying a bike right now, the best option IMO (if you ignore Suzuki's lack of service centers in smaller cities) is Suzuki Slingshot 125cc that costs 54.5k onroad. Though I have not driven this personally, I have driven the Zeus that has the same engine, and it has lots of bottom end torque (for moving around in traffic jams and humps and hilly roads) and a Gear Indicator that is really useful.

PS: All prices are onroad Bangalore and hence on a higher side...

You sure bajaj new discover will launch in may?? can wait but if it doesn't not launched at that time ,then what would i do.I have checked some websites and they said new discover will launch in 2012 end.

My father suggested me Slingshot plus but i refused(but he still stuck on slingshot) as it is giving mileage of only 60(my friends has it) and if it comes to mileage of 60 then hero honda passion pro is a worth buy(requires less or even no maintenance and durability of this bike is very high)
HONDA Shine is giving only 50-55kmpl.
Tell me what should i do in that condition??

You sure bajaj new discover will launch in may?? can wait but if it doesn't not launched at that time ,then what would i do.I have checked some websites and they said new discover will launch in 2012 end.

Dunno if its a cheap discover or maybe a higher priced bike to replace Discover 150 and Pulsar 135 (with Duke 125 derived engine).

My father suggested me Slingshot plus but i refused(but he still stuck on slingshot) as it is giving mileage of only 60(my friends has it) and if it comes to mileage of 60 then hero honda passion pro is a worth buy(requires less or even no maintenance and durability of this bike is very high)
HONDA Shine is giving only 50-55kmpl.
Tell me what should i do in that condition??

Dude, Passion Pro ? That is the most stupid bike I've ever come across. 58k for a bike that has the same engine as a 41k bike (CD Dawn). That too it has a mileage of only 55-65kmpl according to many people. It is durable yes but so are most bikes in the market if you treat them carefully.

A bike is as durable as you maintain it. My Suzuki Samurai has been in the family since 1999 and never had any problems. Slingshot Plus - again not worth paying Rs. 2000 extra just for a Visor in the front. Slingshot standard is better. The Disc Brake version costs 55k OTR Bangalore. And its a good buy because of Suzuki build quality and reliability, 10.3NM of torque at 3500RPM (meaning great pulling power at low speed) compared to passion pro's 8NM of torque at 4500RPM. Power is 8.5BHP @7500RPM which is more than 7.7BHP of passion pro @ 7500RPM.

Anyway, if you really want to buy a Hero bike, wait again till they launch the Passion X Pro (with Honda Twister Engine) in May. And Honda is launching Dream Yuga a commuter bike (with Twister Engine again). Finally Suzuki is launching a new 110cc bike called Hayate. Also in may month.

Due to all the above launches, I think its a good idea to atleast wait till may to buy next bike. If buying now, Slingshot is a great bike.

PurusH

The LeO
I do not understand, why do you hate sporty CB Twister looks. My bother has Karizma ZMR for weekends and has CB Twister for office use. He has put Michellin Pilot for both wheels on CB Twister and has got amazing grip with a mileage of 70+kmpl. So please consider this which suits your budget.

I do not recommed Bajaj bikes as it has got poor quality. The spares are cheap in cost, but does not last longer. Honda and Hero Moto has quality bikes.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Man, I was about to suggest you shine before reading your last reply. Good that you bought it and you never waste time by asking questions. :)

PurusH

The LeO
I have bought Honda Shine today :( .

Thank you all and I am also sorry for wasting your time.

Congrats !!! and it is a right choice by selecting a quality product. Enjoy the ride and do post your initial ownership experience....

And getting suggestions is not wasting other's time. After all, we share our knowledge and we are delighted if it helps others.

OP
N

nx112

Broken In
Hi and thanks guys.

My experience with Honda Shine is worst..
Firstly when i booked it ,those people made me wait for 6 hours for the bike delivery.They have only one model of the color my father selected and they haven't provided it to me.
They delivered honda activa new model which is also one at stock in the showroom but they refused when i said provide me the Shine model(of color my father have chosen) which is single at stock but they denied by telling no reason.

When i got the bike ,its Self start is not working.I have tried so many times but it doesn't work.I complaint and then they replaced the battery.I bought the bike with Self plus alloy wheels.

After return to home at evening i haven't turn the bike on.In the next morning ,when i tried to start the bike,self again won't work,i have tired atleast 15 minutes but it won't work.Finally i have started it with Choke on ,the speedometer indicator needle is defective one,at the time of riding it shows 60 kmph when i am riding at 30 ,The bike also has slowdowns problem.

I have then goes to the HONDA Showroom the next day and told him that the self is not working ,when he started the bike the self works(it is obvious that after a certain run of the bike for few km ,the bike will obvious took self) ,when i said other problems he took a ride and said everything is okk.For self start he said ,you have to do a choke start for the very first start of your bike ,the bike won't took self-(this is ridiculous).I have bought the bike with self start and it won't work until i put the choke on ,then what is the profit of having it.I have told him i have Yamaha gladiator ,my friend has Bajaj Platina ,PULSAR and passion pro,star city(all are approx 3-4 years old).There has never been a single problem with self start .We even won't remember that these bikes have choke as we haven't used them ones.But the mechanic said Honda Shine can't be started with choke (only the first start of the morning or of 10-12 hours break).We all are stunned.One or two of my clg friends has Activa and Aviator and they told me the same starting problem.
I have paid 63k for that bike and it has nothing.......

I returned back to home but the bike still has defects ......

The average is very very very bad.The mechanic fro m HONDA told me that it will give only 50 kmph if a office man(working at office) and if it is used by a college boy ,the average will be 40 (in front of my father and my friends).

The only thing i have is a quality bike (which is said by everyone) and i will get good resale value .............. :(

PurusH

The LeO
Sorry about your bad experience. But the problem seems to be with the battery. The bike's battery would have gone low and hence it was not starting. Then they replaced with another battery(which is ofcourse may be low) Hence it did not start next day morning. But when you kick stared and driven to service center, the battery was charged and hence the self started there.

But remember, we all need to use choke in the morning for a good start. The manual of TVS or Hero Honda says for new bikes, that in the morning (it is called 'cold start') we have to do one or two kick without ignition on and then turn on the ignition then kick to start (even if you have self starter) Then during the day, you can use self starter any time. But mornings a kick start is better which keeps battery and engine good.

I think you misunderstood battery prob with the bike itself.

OP
N

nx112

Broken In
Hii bro,nice to see a reply after a long time.I have changed the battery for the third time and the problem still persist.The mechanic from HONDA even comes 2 times at my home after my complaint but still there is no improvement.
Yup you may be right about the "manual".But my YAMAHA GLADIATOR NEVER EVER CREATED A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH SELF EVEN IN COLD ,engine of gladiator is very very less noisy and riding is super smooth.

Its okk,i will manage with a choke start like my friends are doing as there is no solution for that and i can't change my bike because of my dad.

The indicator is a defective one,the mechanic came to my house and claim that it is working properly but it is not as i continuously drive 25-27 km and i know at what speed i am driving.It is vibrating at its place and that's why i can surely say that it is a faulty one.
I am not saying that it is not a comfortable bike but still it is not worth for 63k.

PurusH

The LeO
I have changed the battery for the third time and the problem still persist.The mechanic from HONDA even comes 2 times at my home after my complaint but still there is no improvement.

The indicator is a defective one,the mechanic came to my house and claim that it is working properly but it is not as i continuously drive 25-27 km and i know at what speed i am driving.It is vibrating at its place and that's why i can surely say that it is a faulty one.

This is firtst time I am hearing poor quality from HONDA. May be one in thousands may happen and it happened to you. Anyways, this is just a bike and you can dispose off after 2-3 years and should live with the above probs. Better luck for next time.

aniket.cain

Padawan
My dad has a Honda Shine. In fact, it is his third one now. He sold the first one because it was in a minor accident. Same thing happened with the 2nd one. But still he bought a 3rd Shine. I guess he is pretty satisfied with the bike... :p
Anyways, he never had problems using the self-start. I used the bike for a couple of months when I was at home, and never faced any issues. Heck, I have never used the kick-start on either the Shine, or my own FZ-S. Neither have I seen my friends using choke in the morning on any of their bikes. I don't think it is very common and normal to use the choke in the morning to do a cold start. But then, I have only experience with 3-4 bikes. Others might be knowing better.

OP
N

nx112

Broken In
I really feel sorry :cry: when typical Indian mentalities rate hero honda's bikes (Hero for now) higher than Suzuki bike in terms of maintenance and durability. This clearly shows one's less knowledge and experience of biking. Now you may get idea why your father was suggesting you to go for Suzuki product.

Bro that one is also my father's choice :(

Top Bottom