Suggest a good Branded desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
HI All,
I am going to buy a desktop PC for my sister whose preference is only Branded PC. So suggest me a good branded PC please.

Requirement : a bit of Gaming, Photoshop, Video Editing - at low level, just for home practice..
Price range: 35k-40k

Please recomend between these brands - Lenovo, HP, Compaq (sorry Dell isnt available here)

Specification- Core2Duo, 1 GB ram(atleast)

- Also I am very confused between Dual Core and Core2Duo as to which one is better and worth buying.
- I saw DualCores are 3.0GHz while Core2Duo are 1.8/2.0 GHz. Why such differences ?

ashishnehete

RiGhT HeRe RiGhT nOw
gurujee said:
- Also I am very confused between Dual Core and Core2Duo as to which one is better and worth buying.
- I saw DualCores are 3.0GHz while Core2Duo are 1.8/2.0 GHz. Why such differences ?
This thing also is trobling me but i think Core2Duo is beter but i donot understand the GHz diff??
Dell is the best where do u live yaar that they cannot reach u??:eek: :?:
if not dell then go for HP they are good but not as compared to Dell in features and also price

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
ashishnehete said:
This thing also is trobling me but i think Core2Duo is beter but i donot understand the GHz diff??
Dell is the best where do u live yaar that they cannot reach u??:eek: :?:
if not dell then go for HP they are good but not as compared to Dell in features and also price
I am in Orissa. Dell hasnt entered the market here. I know Dell is the best.But....:(

slugger

Banned
gurujee said:
Also I am very confused between Dual Core and Core2Duo as to which one is better and worth buying.
ashishnehete said:

Pentium Dual-Core are d low end processors having either 32-bit or 64-bit processors wit two cores

they r also equipped wit low L2 cache (1 MB)

Core 2 Duo r d current and latest from Intel for desktop and mobile computin

Core 2 Duo r all 64-bit processors with dual core and
even d quad core and quad core extreme r marketed under d core 2 duo brand

dey come with around 4MB of L2 cache and have much higher FSB comparrd 2 d dual core processors

raw clockspeed is not d only criteria 4 determining speed of the computer
a high clock speed means high power consumtion, thus high wastage which is felt trhu rising temperature

by reducin d clockspeed but increasing d L2 cache and FSB along with improved fabrication process and host of other things

d Core2duo altho havin a lower clockspeed, still outperforms d older dual core 3GHz
at d same time savin a lot of enrgy due lower clockspeed

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
whatever u do thou shalt not taketh compaq
im using it and im changing it i might give this compaq presario to the poor dont be fooled by the companys dell was first so either hp or lenovo but i think u shud go for hp cuz lenovo isnt good

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Its notonly coz of the increased cache that the C2Ds are superior to dual cores, but mainly due to the shared cache architecture, so dat the data shudnt be duplicated for both cores. Its somewhat max use of the cache and no core wud under-run coz of the shared cache.
C2D consumes much less power that dual core coz of its 65nm manufacturing process, hence much less heat generated. Pentium D runnin above 3.2 is like a coil stove inside ur cabby.

C2D makes use of a new instruction set for data manipulation. This advanced stepping helps for better multithreading.

But its downside is dat, u ll need a gud mobo for getting the max uotta the proccy. I recomment the new p35 based mobo[they r costly, but worth it nd u can always upgrade to the Intel's future series of 45nm proccy].

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
Hey, THANKS VERY MUCH for bringing out the difference between the 2 processors. And Also for pointing out HP as the best.

Please help me to choose between these models.

HP Pavilion a6130in PC (GF991AA)
HP Pavilion Slimline s3180in PC (GM369AA)
HP Pavilion m8170in PC (GF993AA)

The prices are old in the site, I think. Is there any site where I can get the exact price for these Please :)

Sylar

a.k.a Niks
Dual Cores or Pentium D as it was called were pseudo dual cores.. sumthing like the current ruckus about Intel Quad cores and the upcoming AMD's native quads..

What Pentium D did was have 2 dies in it, each featuring a single P4 core connected by a bus and each die having its own onboard cache (thats why it was written 2x1MB), sumthing like having two P4s being put together.. The rated speed was the total speed of both the cores..

The Core2Duos or the real dual core has a single die with both cores on it and a single cache.. The rated speed is the speed of a single core and effective speed can be got by multiplying it by 2.. Also the Core2Duo fabrication is 65nm compared to the older 90nm leading to less heating and lower power consumption...

If you want a detailed explanation on the two you can do a simple google search or write back here with ur queries but i think this info should suffice..

Regarding the PCs you've mentioned I would recommend the HP Pavilion m8170in PC (GF993AA) since it has a 250GB hdd and nVidia graphics with 256MB dedicated VRAM compared to the others with Intel graphics and shared VRAM...

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Sylar said:
What Pentium D did was have 2 dies in it, each featuring a single P4 core connected by a bus and each die having its own onboard cache (thats why it was written 2x1MB), sumthing like having two P4s being put together.. The rated speed was the total speed of both the cores..

I doubt that. U mean A P D 2.8Ghz has 1.4Ghz core? Nup both cores runs at specified frequency.No way a 1.4Ghz proccy cud develop dat much heat. And each core is hyper threaded also. But its main drawback is the limited L1 cache and independant caches.

Sylar

a.k.a Niks
aravind_n20 said:
I doubt that. U mean A P D 2.8Ghz has 1.4Ghz core? Nup both cores runs at specified frequency.No way a 1.4Ghz proccy cud develop dat much heat. And each core is hyper threaded also. But its main drawback is the limited L1 cache and independant caches.
oh yeah sorry, i stand corrected, was under that misunderstanding as i had read it sumwhere.. just checked it up now..

But still there's the problem of independant cache, usage of two silicon dies, power consumed and all the various shortcomings of the Pentium architecture, not to forget the noise the stock HSF created.. ;)

Unlike the NetBurst architecture of Pentium 4 or Pentium D branded processors, the Core architecture does not stress extremely high clock speeds, but rather improvements in the processor's usage of both available clock cycles and power. This translated into more efficient decoding stages, execution units, caches, and buses, etc, reducing the Core 2 CPU's power consumption, while enhancing their processing capacity. With a TDP of up to only 65 W, the Core 2 dual-core Conroe consumed only half the power of some of the higher end dual-core Pentium D branded desktop chips[3] with a TDP of up to 130 W[4] (a high TDP requires additional cooling or a more efficient and therefore more expensive noiseless cooling system) and was more capable compared to them.
Source : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

@gurujee : In short the Core2Duo utilizes both the available clock cycles of the cpu while Pentium architecture utilizes only one and thus is able to do more work than a Pentium D even though at a slower clock speed..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I wonder for the purpose mentioned one can get a Acer Lappy with T2040 Processor and 1 GB RAM at around 37k :p

I am really sorry I forgot the exact model number of the Lappy... its Dual Core T2040 with 1 GB DDR-II (Dual Channel) RAM and 120 GB HDD with 14" screen !!!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@47k, u can get da Acer 5583WXMi-VHP lappy
C2D T5500, wifi,1GB, WXGA, 120 sat, 8x DVDRW, 56k, 10/100, card reader, Tv out via S vid, Bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, carry strip, 3 USB etc.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
yes right go for a lappy !! u can choose dell 1420 or 1520 with little mods !

consider a 1420 add 2 GB RAM 4k and some sound card integrated 500 Rs
over all cost must be 45k....if not this then go for acer ones !! u get them for cheap !! dell the thing is u get laptops in nice colors !! 1420 with 2 GB will server her a long way !

double post !! u hv posted the same in QnA and i got confused :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom