Suddenly got a black screen on the monitor. Now computer won't boot and GPU fans not spinning proper

sygeek

Technomancer
Few days back I suddenly got a weird image on my monitor with squiggly lines (Similar to this, not my image though). I restarted the computer and it booted albeit in a weird manner. Today I got suddenly got a black color screen (not blank but blackish screen). I restarted the system and now it won't boot. I opened the cabinet and it seems the GPU fans are not spinning properly. Sometimes one fan doesn't spin while sometimes it spins slowly. I tried cleaning the GPU and still the same problem.

Can it be a PSU problem (wires dysfunction). My PC isn't as ventilated as I'd like it to be and I use an external tabletop fan. There's also lots of dust collected but I clean it every month.

Also while cleaning the GPU I noticed the copper tubes have a little patche of polish removed or maybe some rust?

Specification of system in signature.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Suddenly got a black screen on the monitor. Now computer won't boot and GPU fans not spinning pr

if possible try with another gpu or try the gpu on the second pci-e slot.

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
Re: Suddenly got a black screen on the monitor. Now computer won't boot and GPU fans not spinning pr

BTW, how am I supposed to get a RMA if the GPU is indeed faulty.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

how old is the gpu ? For RMA you need to contact the distributor.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Sapphire provides 2 years of warranty from the date of purchase. Link:SAPPHIRE Technology

For Sapphire RMA Please click this Link:*support.sapphiretech.com/presentation/member/member_login.aspx

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer

GPU is 2 year and a month old..

Nerevarine

Incarnate

1)Try the GPU in another system
2)Try another PSU in your current system

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer

So I sent the card for RMA yesterday. Let's see what happens..

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer

Received the card today. Computer is running fine now. However, the card I received wasn't in a box but they gave me in a plastic wrap (like the one which you get when you open a new box). The graphic card looks new but is it possible that this is a refurbished model?

Another question, is there much difference between these models? My previous GPU, GPU after RMA.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate

yes it is possible its a refurbished GPU, happens to us all
it seems like an updated model

- - - Updated - - -

Received the card today. Computer is running fine now. However, the card I received wasn't in a box but they gave me in a plastic wrap (like the one which you get when you open a new box). The graphic card looks new but is it possible that this is a refurbished model?

Another question, is there much difference between these models? My previous GPU, GPU after RMA.

how did you send your card for RMA even after warraty expired

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer

yes it is possible its a refurbished GPU, happens to us all
it seems like an updated model

- - - Updated - - -

how did you send your card for RMA even after warraty expired

They just asked for bill and took it. No questions asked.

I checked and the image from my previous GPU seems to be OC dual-x (don't remember buying oc edition though) while this one is just 7870ghz. What is the difference?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sapphire offers 3 years warranty here through distributor though it's written 2 years generally on their website and product boxes.

Top Bottom