sudden low disk space in C

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgupta

Broken In
dear frnds
my system is suddenly showing low disk space in C.Although just an hour before there was more than 2.5 gb of free space.Even after dleting some movies it again shows a few kb space only,which even crashed to 0 after a few seconds.
All torrent downloads have also refused to resume because of low space.
please help.

OP
M

mgupta

Broken In
I have tried,but its not working:-( .
Even there is no virus detected by my updated Kaspersky.I have deleted temp files and run ccleaner also.

OP
M

mgupta

Broken In
Mr. VG you have told about how to get free space out of the existing windows.It would work in normal system but when the hard disk space gets decreasing with every minute,none of these methods hold good.
So please give another method.I dont want to format my drive.:(

r2d2

Journeyman
^^ I think its a virus, install nod32 and do a deep scan of your system in safe mode, also turning off system restore.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
dear frnds
my system is suddenly showing low disk space in C.Although just an hour before there was more than 2.5 gb of free space.Even after dleting some movies it again shows a few kb space only,which even crashed to 0 after a few seconds.
All torrent downloads have also refused to resume because of low space.
please help.

Check how much space is "System Restore" using? If needed turn off system restore on all discs and the check the free hdd space.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
it hat to be something which changes space constantly. Might b system restore, pagefile or a virus. Check with kaspersky, bitdefender, nod32 and the free AVG.Once the virus doubt is cleared. U are left with either system restore playin or virtual ram. Checkdisk/regcheck anyway.

Alternatively, move ur partially downloaded files to another drive. Point ur torrent download folder to the new place and try redownloadin using the torrent as fresh download. It'll actually start from where u left partial download. No need to download from scratch. I tried it on utorrent. Dunno about other clients.

Last edited:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Turn off system restore to clear all restore points. You can re-enable it if you do need it.

Move your Pagefile to a different drive.

Reboot.

If the problem is still not fixed, Open up cmd and type in:
dir c: /s > d:\list.txt

and attach d:\list.txt here.

dare_devil

Broken In
download disk analyser, it will give you complete information about your space, then delete whatever you want, also it may be system restore who uses to make system restore point, check for that also

OP
M

mgupta

Broken In
I have disabled system restore but it saved only 24 mb of space.
I have found about 3.52 gb of space taken up by kaspersy lab folder inC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data.It contain so many dmp and text files taking 3.38 gb of space.Wat r these files and should I delete it??
I m also attaching list.txt

r2d2

Journeyman
If its a recurring infection, I recommend attaching your HD to a clean PC and running a thorough scan of your HD. Make sure you install a good AV like Nod32 (trial version is good enough) and update it before you attach your HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom