Strange XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey people.. off late i am facing this strange problem with xp professional . My computer restarts automatically in the middle of anything and then when i log in to windows again , my quick launch bar is not present and i have to turn it on again. this is happened quite a few times. i have scanned for any virus/spyware/adware using kaspersky and adaware. also my cpu's temperature is very normal , no overheating issues. i checkd the temp with the intel active monitor. so guyz wht could be the damn problem ? any idea ?

mario_pant

In the zone
hey there... be sure to do an online virus scan at housecall.trendmicro.com or any other.....
if it doesn't get anythign then this is deifintely a hardware problem.... actually.... is it something specific that u r using while.... the computer goes off.... and do try using ur comuter in safe mode and tell us if it shuts.....

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
wht's ur verions of windows? XP SP2... if not then do it SP2!!
hmmm... looks like some hardare incompatibility...
check ur RAM sticks that they're well fit in ur MB or not....

also maybe ........... scann deep for viruses & spyware [Microsoft AntiSpyare is good one, especially on monitoring Explorer activities & relation with other applications... spyware scanning is not goof tho... ]

geek_rohit

In the zone
Though the chances are very faint, but the problem can be due to some faulty wiring or loose connection too, or may be due to the power supply. Check whether you have the adequate power supply required, because this might me due to insufficient power supply too.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Yeah, I'll agree to geek_rohit.......... Power supply may be the major problem. Moreover, loose connections may play a major part. I have had such problems due to lack of a voltguard but now I have one and get no such problems...........
And regarding your Quick Launch bar, is it removed even when your computer is turned off properly??

And yeah, restarting probs also occur due to loose RAM or insufficient RAM. Make sure that you have a high speed RAM and a minimum of 256 Mb of it...........

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My computer restarts automatically

You dont get any error messages stating that the system is going to shutdown in 60 seconds or anything like that right? Check your event viewer in adminstrative tools and see if theres somethign starnge in there.

my quick launch bar is not present and i have to turn it on again. this is happened quite a few times

Please try this command from Start > Run REGSVR32 /I SHELL32
and by any chance do you run tweakui

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
It could be that there is a problem with your memory or ram slot or the bus speed is higher than supported by your mobo.
Try chaning the slot.
Also load the default setting in your system bios and check for stability.Even the smps as told by geek_rohit can be the culprit.

Sandeep_K_Ram

Right off the assembly line
Do you have a UPS ? Have you configured its settings in the power options ?
The reason I ask is that I just configured some settings to my UPS in the power options and i had the same problem like you ....without warning the comp would shut down ...not even reboot. It took me a whole day to isolate the problem . A full re-install followed and then I didn't configure the UPS and now its fine .

Just one of the weird things that can happen .

Other things could be -

1. OS problem
2. H/w problem
3. Power problems

Also don't forget to run a virus scan with NAV - with updated VDFs . If everything fails ...then just open the cabinet shout at your processor and abuse it verbally ...close the cabinet - plonk the tower with a hammer and see if it works ... :p :D

just kidding ...

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey sandeep ... ya i am using a UPS but its not configured in the power options . how do i configure it ? it just says the UPS service is stopped. i am using a Wipro Emerge 600 VA UPS and it is not in the list of the manufacturers. Please tell me how to configure my UPS settings.

and hey exx_2000 ya i do have Tweak UI installed and i am using win xp sp2. And i have tried the command you suggested , it just gave a message that some dll install succeeded. Whts it about ??

Ashootosh

Broken In
do u get any error msg when it restarts?? goto control panel->system->advanced->startup n recovery and there uncheck automatically reboot under system faliure then notice if now PC restarts or u c a blue error screen n tell us whats written thr.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
and hey exx_2000 ya i do have Tweak UI installed and i am using win xp sp2. And i have tried the command you suggested , it just gave a message that some dll install succeeded. Whts it about ??

Im not sure if this will help in WIndows XP but take a try *support.microsoft.com/kb/q273785/

And i have tried the command you suggested , it just gave a message that some dll install succeeded. Whts it about ??

*windowsxp.mvps.org/QLError.htm

This link should explain the commandf well . Hope it helps .

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
mohit said:
hey sandeep ... ya i am using a UPS but its not configured in the power options . how do i configure it ? it just says the UPS service is stopped. i am using a Wipro Emerge 600 VA UPS and it is not in the list of the manufacturers. Please tell me how to configure my UPS settings.

If your UPS is not connected to the CPU except with the Power Cord, you cannot configure the UPS..............

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
i am using a Wipro Emerge 600 VA UPS and it is not in the list of the manufacturers

I believe Khattam is right, with your Wipro Emerge UPS you should get a CD called WepLogic which installs the options for your UPS on your system. Now the real question is whether the UPS actually does support this feature , Ive never tried it myself ( Did I mention that I was lazy :D ) since I would have to buy a COM port for it. But if you have the neccessary items I guess you could try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom