Status
Not open for further replies.

JaX

Broken In
System:
Dell XPS M1330 Laptop,
Running Windows 7 32-bit

Description of the Problem:

My Wi-Fi switch had a loose connection, and since my laptop was under warranty I got them to replace the entire bottom base for me. Immediately after the replacement, I started getting the error "USB Device Not recognized" [Attachment 1].

There were 2 unknown devices in the Device Manager [Attachment 2]. This was not present before. All my drivers (except card reader and sound) were automatically installed with Windows Update, so I tried to update the driver. However it was not getting installed [Attachment 3].

At this point of time I noticed that my bluetooth wasn't working, so I then proceeded to try and install the drivers manually (Dell driver package R140135 Bluetooth+EDR for Vista x86). However, it was asking me to switch on the radio, even though it was already on so I could not continue the installation. The bluetooth light was on on my panel, and the wi-fi switch was also turned on.

Now I had a feeling that somehow the technician who replaced the bottom base had messed up the connections, so I checked the BIOS, where I noticed that Bluetooth and Wireless were both Enabled.

However, when I ran the Dell Diagnostics package by booting it from a USB drive, and I got this error:
5D00:0009 UUTUSBTM-DEVICE_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE.
Now this, being entirely outside of the operating system environment, indicated that it was not a driver issue but a hardware one.

Now I have also noticed that my Webcam is not being detected.
I'm beginning to believe that somewhere there is a cable that connects both the Bluetooth Radio (which I think is behind the screen) as well as the Webcam (which I know is in the screen) to the motherboard, and this cable is loose.

The Real Problem:

I called Dell customer care, and they are trying to convince me that it is a driver problem, since my Wi-Fi is working. I told them that it was strange that a driver problem occurred immediately after their technician replaced the bottom base, and they told me it was a coincidence.
I told them that there is an error message in the diagnostics. They said it is unrelated.

Additional Comments:

- During the bottom base replacement, the BIOS cell had been removed, and the BIOS reset.
- In case anyone is wondering, all devices were working PERFECTLY just before the bottom base replacement process.
- I have 2 USB ports on my laptop and both are working fine (tested with pen drive and mouse).

Request for help from you:

Please tell me whether I'm right in thinking it's a hardware fault and that the connections have been inadvertently messed up.
If it is not a hardware fault and it is indeed a driver issue, please tell me how I can solve it.

I would be much obliged for any response.

JaX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom