Strange beeps and key-presses in laptop

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello!

on my brother's laptop (HP DV6-7012TX), there's an issue since past few weeks. upon booting/rebooting it, continuous beeps sound (more than 15; as if some key is being repeatedly pressed). this issue is a bit random in nature, ie, if a cold boot, this thing happens as described, but if rebooted, the beeps don't necessarily sound in the same number, but much less, and boot is quicker. sometimes on rebooting there're no beeps too.

anyway, after this, when the login-screen is shown, some key gets automatically pressed (keeps typing), until either i press 'enter' or del/backspace, after which i can enter the laptop's actual password. till now i didn't have a clue as to what was getting automatically typed/which key was getting pressed, but while entering the title of this thread, i saw that the '+' symbol was getting automatically and continuously typed, until i deleted them to enter the title. i saw such an instance while typing here only (ie, on this site). no such instance anywhere else till now.

it doesn't appear to be a software-issue (beeps tell that) as i have clean reformatted the laptop, re-installed everything from scratch, but it still persists. also, have used HP tools to diagnose and test various components (including the keyboard), but all have been successful.

anybody else seen such a thing? online search revealed a hint that it certainly could be an issue with the keyboard. what do you think? any other way to test/diagnose the issue? i may submit this laptop to a service centre tomorrow (any suggestions at lamington road? laptop's out of warranty). it has accumulated a lot of dust too, so better to give it for servicing and get its innards cleaned as well.

edit: ok so another instance of key-press. switched to a tab on my chrome browser which had a google search page, and the '+' symbol kept typing until i interrupted it. have been using chrome on this.
damn it! happening as am typing this. its turning sinister!

Last edited:
Top Bottom