Steam

gameranand

Living to Play
Modders gonna move.

Not really no. They get good endorsements on Nexus as well for good content, also if they happen to move then I'll just stick with the free ones is all.
Also we can't forget the fact that right now modders holds no responsibility if mods don't work properly or have some problems with other mods. Now if you have 40K mods then you have to check with around 500-100 mods for compatibility because you are asking money for it, this will create some problems. Second problem is that one modder usually use other modder's work by just giving them due credit but if you are getting paid then you have to share the money as well. Imagine that you are using 4-5 modder's work for yours. Also there should be no duplicates which again creates problems as many mods are basically the same with different name and minor changes. It might screw up the modding in future.

Quite Nice article about Modding

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Valve/steam ain't selling these mods but the modders are..
Yes.

But by creating such a platform, they are poised to change the mod ecosystem drastically. I expect the outcome to be similarly to their Greenlight/Early Access system, that is, half baked, crappy, buggy mods saturating the market for sale at full price. Not to mention people passing off other peoples work as their own.

Really bad move IMHO.

gameranand

Living to Play
Valve/steam ain't selling these mods but the modders are..

But they will get a cut of the money and the Devs of the game holding the IP rights as well. Modders will get the least amount and a sort of war is brewing in this areas really.
Let me give a example......
There are many character models in Nexus which are more or less the same with minute difference even though they have not used content of each other. Just the no. of SweetFX mods, there are many some doing the same thing as other with minute difference. As there is no money involved, they do not fight and start a flame war too soon. Bear in mind that even without money there are many ownership issues on Nexus which gets resolved by the Moderators and Admins ins somewhat peaceful way. Also many many mods use 2-3 other mod content for their mods, they just used to take permission from that proper and use their mods by giving them due credit in description. Now if they are making money out a mod then the mods who gave permission would also want to make money as well. When a new update or patch rolls out, mods don't hold any responsibility if mod don't work or have problems with other mods, if this area is monetized the buyer would sure as hell want the support of the mod as he paid for it. Valve giving a measly 24 time for refunds, but what if I started some other mod 2 day after and this mod is not compatible with it, what do I do now. Who holds responsibility for my money.
All these problems were non existent because it was a community work, sometimes a user would contribute and make a fix for the mod to work. Now why the hell on earth the user will do it when he payed for the mod.

Curating thing for games like Doto, CS, TF2 is easy because it involves making skins and cosmetic products. Little things, Elder Scrolls mods are much more complex than that.

This is a very very bad move and might just evaporate modding on PC platform.

Piyush

Lanaya
Instead of buying option, "donate" would have been much better in my opinion.

But still, modders needs some money too if they are dedicating their half of the day.

ACidBaseD

ACid DrinkeR
What I think:
* I'm sure Bethesda is getting a cut from the mods. Allowing modders to charge money would only decreased sales for games and they would probably retract workshop support UNLESS they are getting a cut.
* Most of the modders use content from other mods or games. Like the armour mod from oblivion, and getting paid for that will be illegal.
* People can take mods they haven't created from nexusmods and post it on steamworkshop and start minting money.
* There has been a huge backlash from community. I'm expecting some kind of backlash from developers too.

If valve doesn't give an official statement regarding their decisions, well they don't really NEED to do it, I'm pretty sure people will start realizing that "Valve" isn't a company "for gamers". They are only looking to milk us as much as possible, which makes me sad.

It's definitely not possible to avoid steam, specially if you're exclusively a PC gamer, but I'm sure going to prefer alternate solutions now.

Oh, the backlash is HUGE: Steam Workshop :: Kill Lord Gaben

gameranand

Living to Play
The backlash is huge for sure but I don't think that they will revert this at all. Look at their history, they never cared, whats stopping them now.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE

Steam Workshop paid Mods are not working anymore. The error stating that item is not available for purchase anymore but if you have purchased it then you'll have access to it.
Now I don't know, what triggered this, DDoS attack on steam or Steam realizing that they did wrong. The thing is, this topic made a hell lot of ripples, more than Valve and Bethesda would had speculated. Lets see what happens, I'll keep ya guys updated on this shiet.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
The backlash is huge for sure but I don't think that they will revert this at all. Look at their history, they never cared, whats stopping them now.
Steam Workshop paid Mods are not working anymore. The error stating that item is not available for purchase anymore but if you have purchased it then you'll have access to it.
With the recent P2W event in Dota(Year Beast Brawl) & now this people are really starting to question Valve. I still expected a official statement about this. Really sad now they've delved this deep. PC community has been divided into 2 parts by them. There have been countless articles & even petitions demanding closure but I don't think any action can be taken this fast(considering many would've already bought the mods & stuff.

Some devs are already starting to close stuff like this: *redd.it/33qp26

I don't think it will be a few months before this thing has change of change(considering legal implications & tie-ups b/w the studios)

sygeek

Technomancer
With the recent P2W event in Dota(Year Beast Brawl) & now this people are really starting to question Valve. I still expected a official statement about this. Really sad now they've delved this deep. PC community has been divided into 2 parts by them. There have been countless articles & even petitions demanding closure but I don't think any action can be taken this fast(considering many would've already bought the mods & stuff.

Some devs are already starting to close stuff like this: Tripwire updated its Killing Floor 2 EULA on Steam to not allow paid mods for the game : pcmasterrace

I don't think it will be a few months before this thing has change of change(considering legal implications & tie-ups b/w the studios)
After TI4, valve started milking the community for money. PA arcana event, year beast event and now this.

gameranand

Living to Play

Some devs are already starting to close stuff like this: Tripwire updated its Killing Floor 2 EULA on Steam to not allow paid mods for the game : pcmasterrace

What exactly was wrong with Year Beast Brawl. My PC was dead that time so didn't got the grasp of it. Could you please elaborate ??

Voted down Skyrim on steam.

Darks Souls 2 got voted down too. Was a long overdue.

Yeah I also Downwoted Skyrim. I request everyone here who own Skyrim to downvote the game. Its already came from Overwhelmingly positive to Very positive, lets make it Mixed.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Why DS2 voted down ?

Paid for the base game and season's pass but still have to pay for this upgrade ($29 if you havent got season's pass, $19 if you bought the season's pass) which should have been in original game. **** Bamco.

Other people who never bought Dark Souls 2 can get it for $49.

DARK SOULSâ„¢ II: Scholar of the First Sin on Steam
A cash grab.

From made the ps3 version and ported it to pc as the original DSII, and now they made the ps4/xbox1 version and decided to port it to PC (yet again) as this "definitive edition", with a few tweaks to make it look more legit.

Don't be fooled, they made no attemp to make things run better for PC, and it's definately not an attempt to recreat the graphics from e3, they are only trying to sell what they already have (next-gen console version) twice, it's only a pc port of the ps4 version, and they know people are going to pay for it. The graphics is almost identical to that of ps4 version, which is basically a sweetFX'd version of the original, and the changes to enemy positioning is lame. About the 5 coop/pvp slots, mabe larger fight club/ganking squads, so what? Core pvp is still gonna be 1 on 1 anyway.

However, if you haven't tried the original version, or didn't own the 3 dlcs, the price is ok, buy if want. But for those have already invested hundreds of hours into the original release, though the cost is lower, it's still not worth it imo, spend that 10 quid on this war of mine sale or something like that would be a wiser choice.

Top Bottom