masterkd

Padawan
Yeah, backup and restore is another thing.

Let's say I have the retail version of COD4 installation disk (non-steam installation disk). Now I purchased it on steam and I don't want to download everything again. Is there any way around this?

This can be done on Origin. I have a retail disk of Burnout Paradise and later I got the game in one of the Humble Bundles (the EA one). I installed the game from the disk on my PC (non-origin installation) and then copied the files in game directory to another folder. Then I uninstalled the game. After this I started downloading the game in Origin and paused it after a few minutes. Then I closed Origin and copied the gamefiles into the Origin directory. After opening Origin again I started the download and it started from around 90%. It downloaded only the patches and leftover files.

Is there any way to do the same in Steam?

Yes you can do this for steam as well. Just make sure you paste the files in right folder in steamapps when steam is not running. After copy-paste is done, verify integrity of game cache for that particular game and you are all done. If any update/download is required steam will do automatically.

little

Journeyman
Yes you can do this for steam as well. Just make sure you paste the files in right folder in steamapps when steam is not running. After copy-paste is done, verify integrity of game cache for that particular game and you are all done. If any update/download is required steam will do automatically.

I tried it but it didn't work. Dunno why.

Last edited:

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
[MENTION=228377]little[/MENTION] :D It can be done. I have done it many times :p.

I think I have posted the method in this forum itself somewhere. As my PC is not working now, I can't tell you the specific files that you need to modify.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There is this bundle: Save 75% on EA Racing Pack on Steam (valid for next 21 hours, or till about 10 PM tomorrow).

But I already have two games on them. Can I buy the complete bundle of 5 games in $17.49 and gift two games which I already have to my friend? Is this possible?

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is this bundle: Save 75% on EA Racing Pack on Steam (valid for next 21 hours, or till about 10 PM tomorrow).

But I already have two games on them. Can I buy the complete bundle of 5 games in $17.49 and gift two games which I already have to my friend? Is this possible?
Varies from bundle to bundle. Usually you don't get extra/duplicate giftable copies. You only get what you don't have.

*support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Varies from bundle to bundle. Usually you don't get extra/duplicate giftable copies. You only get what you don't have.

*support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

steampage said:
Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
Users who own "Dawn of War II"and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.
Extra copies may apply as a part of some limited time promotions. In that case, information on what will be included with your purchase will be listed on the storefront's transaction page.

Well, in that case, there goes one potential customer for steam. :/
I really wanted to buy NFS: Hot Pursuit. But if I can't buy the bundle and gift extra copies to my friend, I won't be buy any bundle.
I have many racing games that I need to learn anyway.

Top Bottom