Standby option Greyed out in new installation of win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

yash

I draw every day
i was using the same os win xpsp2 on c partition before i had to reinstall it on d drive when after installing a new gfx card my pc started giving problems.Now, this os dosent have the standby option.why?then since i was having problems connecting to the internet from my laptop, i did a fresh install of it on another partition. and the laptop too dosent support standby now. what is this bug?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
u may try this...

How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP

Code:
1.	Click Start, click Run, type powercfg.cpl, and then click OK.
2.	In the Power Options Properties dialog box, verify that a Hibernate tab exists. If the tab exists, click the Hibernate tab, click to select the Enable hibernation check box, and then click Apply.
3.	In the Power buttons section, verify that the Standby option and the Hibernate option appear in the drop-down list on the Advanced tab.

Note If a Hibernate tab exists and you click to clear the Enable hibernation check box on the Hibernate tab, the Hibernate option will not appear in the down-down list on the Advanced tab.

If both the Standby option and the Hibernate option do not appear, either the computer does not support these features or the power management features are disabled in the BIOS. Contact the system manufacturer for information about the BIOS settings.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
this is not a bug. i get it when i do a fresh install and forget to install the mobo drivers. install all the drivers and it will work.

satbir

Broken In
what charangk just said will surely solve ur problem............ just install ur graphics drivers and u'll surely get wat u want........ that greyed standby will become active.............

OP
yash

yash

I draw every day
k thanks i`ll install all the drivers from my dell cd and then report...but what about my desktop? it didnt come with a cd with the drivers on it it only came with a recovery cd to reinstall windows....do u think that there might b the drivers of the mobo on the recovery cd?how do i use device manager to install/upgrade the mobo drivers? this problem didnt come up last time i installed win xp on my desktop....

satbir

Broken In
firstly u r supposed to be having the driver cd for ur desktop aswell......... contact ur vendor for the cd.

as far as ur problem is concerned u don't need the desktop's driver disk.....actually ur older graphics card was supported by xp's driver database i.e. it already had the drivers for that card....... so u never felt the need of installing the drivers seperately......... now the new card is probably not supported by the windows driver database......... so u have to install drivers manually............

the graphics card must have came with a driver cd......... bingo...... thats the thing u need............ just install those drivers and ur desktop will also work fine......... if u didn't get that cd...... then u might hav to run after ur vendor to get the disk.......... or alternately u can download the driver's from the manufacturer's website.......... if thats possible

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
satbir is very correct. just goto the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom