CPU:intel quad core q6600
mobo: asus -5k premium
spec sheet :Product-Sheet for Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP

gfx card: geforce 9800
RAM:3GB
HDD1: hitatchi 320GB
HDD2: seagate 1TB

my problem is hdd wont boot,looking for a new hdd/ssd

my question is whether adding an ssd be a wise system upgrade??
looking for this SSD
Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (SV100S2/64G) - Kingston: Flipkart.com
PSU:built in with case 300 W (i guess so)

would buying this help me?
usage primarily office work,browsing, a little programming and movies
gaming yeah but occasional (then i dont have a decent graphics card for that) , nothing major.

given the high prices of HDD help me choose b/w a new HDD an SSD
thanks a tone

Welcome to TDF :-o

A 60 GB budget SSD would cost around 4k, and a 1 TB HDD would cost around 4500. A 60 GB SSD is a waste, 120 GB is something more useful. So I would strongly suggest to go for a 1 TB HDD instead of a 60 GB SSD.

OP
madzeus

madzeus

Broken In
What is your budget. Try and get a new branded reliable PSU too,its one of the main causes why HDDs fail.

budget around 3.5k stretcahble to (3.7-3.8 )
flipkart giving me ssd 60 gb for 3.5 and choice btween a 500 gb hdd for 3.5 so the choice is bw them..

@harshisharma63: umm.. please explain why 60gb SSD wont be of use?:-?
os should take about 20 25 gb space and the rest 30 35 for occasional games.. i maen i am just guessing here that 60 gb should be adequate..
thanks for the quick reply though..:razz:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can manage space properly then 60GB is more than enough for your need IMO.

See, atleast 20 GB of space will be consumed by the OS, consider another few GB for updates and system restore and indexes and prefetch. Combining all these, you'll be left with around 30 GB of free space. What you'll have to do is install all programs in this space, a single game would occupy abbot one third of this space. If you can manage this space, then get an ssd, get an HDD.

See, atleast 20 GB of space will be consumed by the OS, consider another few GB for updates and system restore and indexes and prefetch. Combining all these, you'll be left with around 30 GB of free space. What you'll have to do is install all programs in this space, a single game would occupy abbot one third of this space. If you can manage this space, then get an ssd, get an HDD.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If you can strech your budget to 10k then you can get a 240GB SSD which can be used to store games,OS,Music et all. It is Intel 335 240GB SSD @ 10.5k

Myth

Cyborg Agent
What is your budget. Try and get a new branded reliable PSU too,its one of the main causes why HDDs fail.

Most important point --^

SSD (drastically) reduces load times (OS, game levels, blah blah)
For the routine tasks that you mentioned, you wont notice much of a performance boost with an SSD. Seems like an unnecessary expenditure.
At your budget, a normal 500gb hdd will be more useful.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
budget around 3.5k stretcahble to (3.7-3.8 )
flipkart giving me ssd 60 gb for 3.5 and choice btween a 500 gb hdd for 3.5 so the choice is bw them..

Get This ....click ▻ Corsair 60GB Force 3 SSD

I usually assign 60GB for my OS drive. I have Adobe Lightroom4/Photoshop CS5, MS office 2010,Nero 12 Platinum,Bitdefender IS, Sony SoundForge and ofcourse the OS and a lot of softwares here and there and I still have around 26GB spare. So I believe its sufficient if you are not heavily in to some other space consuming softwares.

OP
madzeus

madzeus

Broken In
thanks every one for the input..
but still am confused..
ssds would be a little expensive but the benefit would be that its stable failure rates are way lesser..

and HDDs have a better price/GB that seems lucrative
my usage wouldn't be very heavy just run of the mill stuff
0 programming
occasional gaming
net browsing etc

i was bent towards ssds for their long life.
plus thsi review
Conclusion : Could An SSD Be The Best Upgrade For Your Old PC?

now what should i do??
ty every1..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^ Failure rate is lesser for SSD, but it also have a disadvantage of shorter mean lifetime. All SSDs have limited red-write cycle.

IMO don't buy 60GB SSD. It will be filled even before you can understand it.
Either get at least 128GB SSD or get a HDD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
but still am confused..
ssds would be a little expensive but the benefit would be that its stable failure rates are way lesser..

0 programming
occasional gaming
net browsing etc

plus thsi review

now what should i do??
ty every1..

if SSD suits your needs best what's the hold up ? go get it unless you install games which takes 15GB+ space and download 100+ GB per month.

Hrishi

DO you have any secondary storage device , other than the HDD/SSD which you are going to buy ??

Believe me 60 is way too less ,
If you are a programmer , you will need to have some good programming and development tools , and some backup setup files at handy , also some good resources.
Now consider that to be at least 10GB.
THen you have the space to be occupied by the OS : "Atleast 20GB".
Adding and keeping backup of necessary drivers, updates , programs might take up 5 to 10 GB.
Now , even if you play 4-5 average games , then will surely occupy 5-6GB space [at least]. unless you plan to play super mario kinda games.
You'll need some space for music/documents/movies too , right ? THat'll be take up at least 10GB even for a start-up user.

Let's sum up : approx(10+20+10+6+10=56GB) space.
When you are buying a 60GB only ssd , and are left with just 10-15 GB space at fresh install , [ I don't think it'll last long].
And its always good to reserve at least 10GB space , for page files , temporary files , etc.

If you don't have another storage device (60GB or higher) in size , then don't buy SSD . IF you have , then HDD is simply out of the question. :)

logout20

Journeyman
but still am confused..

0 programming
occasional gaming
net browsing etc

plus thsi review

now what should i do??
ty every1..

first get a good psu{corsair,seasonic}....

buy a good HDD with remaining money{WD} of whatever fits in your budget size..

and that will be wise..

Top Bottom