Spice Corp Launches Rs.800 Mobile Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Spice Corp Ltd (SCL) has unveiled a no-frills mobile phone that will retail at about Rs 800 ($20) early April, the company's chairman said.

"Though we have taken various measures to reduce the cost price for the end user, it will be a technologically advanced instrument," claimed SCL Chairman BK Modi.

He said this product will prove that India is not only equipped to give the best of technology but even the cheapest at most competitive prices. Also, he didn't rule out the possibility of prices of such phones going down further.

The new voice-only phone was exhibited at a global expo in Barcelona in Spain Monday and evoked tremendous interest among mobile service providers from around the world, Modi said.

The phone does not offer a screen but will provide excellent voice clarity. An audio programme would announce the digits that are dialled to prevent errors. A Braille version will also be simultaneously introduced to benefit visually challenged users.........

Source: *www.tech2.com/india/news/value-mobile-phones/spice-corp-launches-$20-mobile-phone/28971/0

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Spice is smart, its a phone without a screen/sms. They want to force people to make calls, not forward silly jokes.

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
I'm not sure if these Spice handsets could be termed as a mobile phone for normal users due to the lack of screen. But it would be great for visually handicapped people thanks to the low price. I'm aware there are a few Symbian software which help the blind interact with the phone but nothing beats built-in support. Symbian equipped handsets are costlier too. Let's hope it's something nice and not a joke like low-cost CDMA handsets available in India.

anispace

dattebayo
isnt the Nokia 1100 n 1200 series available for around 1300-1500Rs. and they are even loaded with all the basic features so watz the point in offering this phone at Rs.800. Now a price of 300-400Rs would have been a decent offer.
And how much does putting a simple monochrome LCD add to the manufacturing cost.

atleast they could have added a simple 7 segment display found in calculators:D

slugger

Banned
Motorola's W180 costs 1600 [Subhiksha]

decent lookin [looks more expensive than it is]
sum nityf features and a FM radio

comes with a color display

enticer86

Stay Silent!
Crap... even the driver and maid-servant use colored screen phones these days.

Anyone been to the Gaffar Market? I saw a chaiwalla use a cell with stylus (dont know which model it was)

Crap... even the driver and maid-servant use colored screen phones these days.

Anyone been to the Gaffar Market? I saw a chaiwalla use a cell with stylus (dont know which model it was)

Ya, you are right, i myself have seen many people like that. Actually stylus based touchscreen phones are quiet cheap, the Chinese ones. They retail for 3500-8000. Even the basic 4000rs phone in this category have a touchscreen, stylus, sometimes support for 2 sims working simultaneously, 2-5 speakers with good sound quality as well as other usual frills like MP3, AAC support, Video Playback, FM Radio and what not. These are good for people who just want these functionalities and not extendibility, that symbian or windows mobile based phones offer. Nokia never provided sound quality even close to these phones, what a pity.

enticer86

Stay Silent!
Ya, you are right, i myself have seen many people like that. Actually stylus based touchscreen phones are quiet cheap, the Chinese ones. They retail for 3500-8000. Even the basic 4000rs phone in this category have a touchscreen, stylus, sometimes support for 2 sims working simultaneously, 2-5 speakers with good sound quality as well as other usual frills like MP3, AAC support, Video Playback, FM Radio and what not. These are good for people who just want these functionalities and not extendibility, that symbian or windows mobile based phones offer. Nokia never provided sound quality even close to these phones, what a pity.

Its not the case... I just asked my frnd abt this and he said that model was "P900". And thats not a chinese one i guess... Anyways, it was much better than that spice no screen "TELEPHONE"... rite?

din

Tribal Boy
No screen - 800

Screen plus a lot of utilities and a good brand (Nokia) - 1200

Not sure how many will go for option 1 ! May be good for hotlines ;)

Its not the case... I just asked my frnd abt this and he said that model was "P900". And thats not a chinese one i guess... Anyways, it was much better than that spice no screen "TELEPHONE"... rite?
Yup, that could be. and its way better than the "Telephone". What i was saying that there are options like that in the market.

shashank_re

In the zone
Dubba phone!
Reliance "Classic" phone is Rs.777 with screen,poly ring tones etc.
Tata went a step ahead with Rs.760 with all the basic features.BTW its with Screen.
Now whos gonna buy this dabba phone?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom