Speed Multiplication on Dial-Up? How's it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKant

In the zone
Well it happened to me the day-before around 3:15pm. My dial-up connexion (NetOne, BSNL) speed showed as being "115.2Kbps"! Usually, at the best of times it's 46.6 Kbps, and 45.2 otherwise (s'posed to be 56). My effective d'load speed was somewhat better too, long as I was connected. I've heard, and I understand that speed-multiplication (well not exactly, but I couldn't think of a better word) can happen on a shared cable line...but on dial-up? Even on a cable line it's not the connexion speed itself, but rather the actual data transfer rate, which gets 'amped up', which is understandable. But, how could this happen? Somebody pls explain. :?

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Once it happened to me too! But that was coz I played with the modem settings too much... WHich cauused the connection to connect at 115KBps but I couln't open a single site!

I think you should first check some site for your download speed e.g. www.speed-test.net
And then see the settings of your modem...
Becuase it's probably just fake speed...

Delta

Journeyman
Speed Multiplication!!

Hi!

I also had this problem some time ago. In WinXP with SP1 sometimes fake connection speeds like 115.9 kbps etc. :? are shown when connected to internet. So just forget abt it.

Second, There r some softwares available for increasing ur speed of internet. In gujarat there is ISP named ICENET. They provides software that compresses text, images etc. on their server and compressed data is sent to us. So, obviously browsing speed increases. :!:

But It is not related to ur problem. Ur speed is just a fake speed. OK :!:

OP
D

DKant

In the zone
Umm hmm. Of course I never actually checked the d'load speed then. Just assumed it was faster since I was downloading quite a few things simultaneously. So it's a bug huh. Well..anyway, it happened just once. After that it's just been the good ol' 46Kbps. :)

BTW, does the image compression thingy reduce the quality of the images? Can u adjust the extent of compression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom