sounds from hard disk any prob ..???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
recently i tried to reduce my fan speeds and once just disconnected all the fans ,
to my suprise i found that there was a strange noise coming from the harddisk
ie it was making noises for all all read-write operations
is this genuine or something to wory about ?????

same is the case with the cd-drive ??

if these are problems what could be the cause ???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
if the sound's volume is too low, theres no worry, if u can hear it as a 40000W speaker as ur heart beat then its gonna crash soon :D

Dunno about CD drives they always make noises while spinning

h_kunte

Journeyman
I have a similar problem. I have a 80 GB SATA Seagate HDD which makes a hell lot of noise. It continuously makes this low "krrrrrrr krrrr" noise....I had the HDD inspected by my dealers engineer, who said that there was nothing wrong with the disk....But I am still paranoid....Guys tell me that the disk is OK & that my data is safe....Please!!!

Thanx.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
mine too makes noises but u can check ur HDD life approximately with HDD-Life or any other SMART enabled tool (most freeware)

and guess waht - mines seagate too, its known for noises, but my HDD life is around 80~%

rachitar

Journeyman
HDD always make some sound
If it doesnt make a sound then its bad,the HDD has gone kaput
But if it makes too loud,then there is a cause for concern,but it rarely happens these days,HDD are very reliable

jack// ani

In the zone
QwertyManiac said:
mine too makes noises but u can check ur HDD life approximately with HDD-Life or any other SMART enabled tool (most freeware)

and guess waht - mines seagate too, its known for noises, but my HDD life is around 80~%

Hi QwertyManiac,

Please tell me which software are you using?? I also want to check mu appox. hdd life. btw, smart is disabled by default....am I right??

thanks

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I use HDD-Life Pro
*www.hddlife.com/

I dunno much about SMART thingies but this supports most type of drives...

jay4u

In the zone
Maybe it is because you could not hear the sounds because of the noise the fan was making... but if the sound is very high then surely your hard disk is gonna crash

choudang

Padawan
noise from HDD.. its not a normal when its making in all ops [r-w]. i have noticed that seagate HDD makes a noise even SATA HDD makes..... test the HDD with HDD util... and take a back up

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
seagate hdds are known as drum sets. i had 300 MB , 2.1 GB and now 160 GB seagate hdds. all IDE. 160 is quieter but not as 40 GB samsung.

if it the noise is periodic i.e. follows the same patturn then its a thing to worry.
T-----T-----T-----T--.........

OP
V

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
thx for those replies guys but wat abt the cd drive folks !!!!

and by the way tht hdd utility shows my hard disk performance at 45%
is tht ok ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom