Sound stopped working in Windows 8 Pro x86

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Sound suddenly stopped working in my windows 8 pro 32-bit. hardware is fine as i have checked it in ubuntu.
neither headphone nor speaker is working. have installed drivers from manufacturer website (dell), problem persists. to my surprise , it still doesnt work even after I did a fresh install of windows 8 & also formatted the drive before installing.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Weird problem. But the problem certainly lies with the drivers, there cannot be any other problem.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Go to Device manager and check what it says.

My point is that you should try getting the driver directly from the chipset vendor.

How can I know that?

Its a laptop dell vostro 1400

Looks like it has a Sigmatel chipset according to the Dell site. But confirm from Device Manager.

Have you tried this driver? *www.dell.com/support/drivers/in/en...leId=2940571307&languageCode=en&categoryId=AU

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
8742998937_fd8264d1e1_b.jpg

8742999029_e54d78f5b5_b.jpg

8744116732_ce3f5b9c60_b.jpg

8744116874_85d8d3541d_b.jpg

I have a newer version of that Driver & is the one which I have been using since years. Infact, it shows on my page on Dell's website. Should I try that version which you referenced?

Displays this error message while installing that Driver you referenced:

as.PNG

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Now using default windows driver but still no solution:

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

Are you sure you are not truing to install x64 drivers?

Yes. I am dead sure about that.

The difference in using Sigmatel's driver & windows driver is that when I was using Sigmatel , the volume control would hang if i tried to up/down volume but not in the case of windows driver. But in both cases , sound wouldn't work.

Update: Headphone is working now on Windows' default driver.

Now Action Center says that Norton Anti-Spyware & Firewall is turned off despite turning it ON manually.
I am fed up with the incompatibility issues with Windows 8. Thinking to switch back to Windows 7.

Capture.jpg

amjath

Human Spambot
Is the drivers windows 8 certified. There is a list of laptops in dell which they believe can be upgraded to windows 8

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Is the drivers windows 8 certified. There is a list of laptops in dell which they believe can be upgraded to windows 8

That's what I am doubting. btw do you have any specific links of the models for which Dell recommends Windows 8?

Update: Ok. So found out that my laptop is not tested by Dell for Windows 8.
*www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/in/en/indhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=575111

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
That's what I am doubting. btw do you have any specific links of the models for which Dell recommends Windows 8?

Update: Ok. So found out that my laptop is not tested by Dell for Windows 8.
*www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/in/en/indhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=575111

It's better for u to use windows 7. Don't blame it on windows 8.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
It's better for u to use windows 7. Don't blame it on windows 8.

They haven't tested it so one cannot say that my computer isn't compatible. Had they tested & said that 'look , your laptop isn't compatible' then yes Windows 8 was not to blame upto an extent.

amjath

Human Spambot
They haven't tested it so one cannot say that my computer isn't compatible. Had they tested & said that 'look , your laptop isn't compatible' then yes Windows 8 was not to blame upto an extent.

Did u try uninstalling the audio driver, restart and try installing it

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I uninstalled manufacturer driver and installed it again. I even formatted the drive n installed fresh copy of win8. When on windows' default driver , headphones have started working but not the speakers. And when on my manufacturer driver both would not work and opening volume control would hang.

Top Bottom