Sound breaks while copying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldude666666

Broken In
I have an acer aspire 5920 with Intel C2D T5550(1.83GHz 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache), Mobile Intel GMA X3100, 160GB hdd, 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz with win xp sp 3, v3264. The problem is that whenever I copy anything and simultaneously play any video or audio, the sound appears to be hanged even when the system shows that there is more than 1 gb or RAM free. What is this problem??? Any Cure???

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Though I am not sure, I think this issue is not because of RAM, but probably 100% CPU usage. The CPU does not have the capacity to process so many tasks at a tome, thats why it slows down.

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
i have experienced the same thing in cyber cafe long back.he used to play some songs from his computer with speakers everywhere.when i tried to copy anything from the server he maintained ,the songs played bit by bit with lot of interruptions,i used to enjoy it a lot.:D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I face this a lot don't know what causes it though, I think Rohan is right, it is a Ram issue.

OP
cooldude666666

cooldude666666

Broken In
Though I am not sure, I think this issue is not because of RAM, but probably 100% CPU usage. The CPU does not have the capacity to process so many tasks at a tome, thats why it slows down.

No. I don't think this is the case as I have a Core 2 Duo(as mentioned earlier) and I checked the CPU usage. It is not 100%. Only sometimes it reaches 49%.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Due to excessive hard disk activity? The head cant keep up all the activities maybe...

1. buffer music.
2. read data to be copied
3. copy it to another location.

so you see, the head takes a bit of time to move places. Just a theory, anyway. But I dont have this problem. Mine is a C2D 2.4GHZ with 1 GB ram, and I just tested it by cut-pasting a DVD9 ISO from one drive to another. And music played from a third drive, so head travelling will be higher. Still, dunno.

utsav

damn busy...
optical drives and hdds use a data transfer mode known as udma which is faster and less cpu power user than the older mode PIO. Win xp has a feature which changes the udma mode to pio after 6 unsuccessful read attempts from a drive which can be ur dvd writer or ur hdd. So it seems that ur hdd is running now in pio mode which slows down data transfer speed and increases cpu usage and it causes the music u play to jitter while copying data coz music file is not getting buffered properly and also high cpu usage.
Go to nero express then settings, then go to select cache drive ,then run the data transfer speed test. Post the results here for further solution :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I experienced it even on my XPS with a c2d nd 4G ram, and only happens when the system is set to power saver mode. In this mode the HDD wud run at min speed even if the system is fully loaded.
ive solved this roble in this way
go to device manager>hdd nd under the tab 'policies'
'enable write cache' nd under that 'eneble advanced performance'
this will reduce ur battery a bit but the performance gain wud be noticeable.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Yeah, that might work. As domi says, you can try that. Perhaps I dont face this problem because I already have it enabled.

OP
cooldude666666

cooldude666666

Broken In
Go to nero express then settings, then go to select cache drive ,then run the data transfer speed test. Post the results here for further solution :)

C:\ Speed 42,073 KB/s
D:\ Speed 35,657 KB/s
E:\ Speed 22,425 KB/s
F:\ Speed 31,129 KB/s
G:\ Speed 32,307 KB/s

OP
cooldude666666

cooldude666666

Broken In
I experienced it even on my XPS with a c2d nd 4G ram, and only happens when the system is set to power saver mode. In this mode the HDD wud run at min speed even if the system is fully loaded.
ive solved this roble in this way
go to device manager>hdd nd under the tab 'policies'
'enable write cache' nd under that 'eneble advanced performance'
this will reduce ur battery a bit but the performance gain wud be noticeable.

I already have that setting enabled.

BTW, I would like to tell one thing that in device manager I expanded "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers". I saw two secondary and two primary channels inside it each having two master and two slave. Is this possible cause according to my knowledge, there is one primary and one secondary channel each with one master and one slave. Also, Both my HDD and ODD are connected on Primary channels. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that the DVD drive does not go into DMA mode. It always runs in PIO. How can I sort this problem?

OP
cooldude666666

cooldude666666

Broken In
UPDATE:
This problem was due to my drive not being able to switch itself to DMA Mode. I recently installed another copy of windows but this time a sp2 and not a sp3 and the problem got resolved.
Also See: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=868901

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom