SOS: Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

technovice

Broken In
Hi guys!
You got to help us please! :oops:
My friend has a p4 1.8 Ghz, 128 mb ram, mercury motherboard loaded with windows 98 SE.
When he tried to delete an adware called sidefind his comp hung...he restarted the comp...when he did so it asked him to reinstall windows.
Now after having reinstalled it...the windows 98 boots...and then as soon as the desktop background turns up an internet explorer error shows up and the comp hangs again without any other background processes showing!
I'm relying on all u brilliant guys out there to solve our problem :cry:
Adios!!

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
The ad-ware might be some kind of Virus. Take backups(preferably from Live CD linux) after checking for virus (I recommend Panda Antivirus Platinum Trial Version) and fry (Formatt ;-) ) the hard disk from a bootable DOS floppy. Now Install the Window 98.

OP
T

technovice

Broken In
Thanks sujithtom!
But could you please tell a novice how to format the hard disk from a bootable DOS floppy!!
Thanks again!

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Its easy. I hope u know how to make a bootable floppy. There is an option to copy system files when you are formatting a floppy. Just check it while formatting. After it is complete copy format.com (the file) from the computer to the floppy. The file usually resides in the Windows folder (Command). U can search it.
Next boot from the floppy. Type the following command:
format x:
Replace X with the drive name (C: , D: etc) . Formatt ur complete harddisk partition by partition. Next pop in the Windows Cd and boot from the CD to install it.

Deep

Version 2.0
life saver Hijackthis can save you :D

download it and run it in save mode..

remove unwanted registry values

btw this one is gonna be tough job i suppose..but give it a try...

check this page *www.giantcompany.com/antispyware/research/spyware/spyware-SideFind.aspx

and this *www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Browser_Issues/Q_20975384.html

for more info

Deep

OP
T

technovice

Broken In
Hi deep!
Thanks for the links
but the problem is we are not able to boot even in safe mode...coz the same IE error pops up at startup and the pc hangs even in safe mode!
What else can we do other than formatting coz it will mean loss of some important data?

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
You can back up from a live linux cd!! If you have Safe Disks (Provided by the antivirus) you can boot from it and remove the virus, if it is one...

cg84

Broken In
u dont have to format each and every partition of ur disk. ur problem is basically in the system partition(C: or whichever partition win98 is in). just boot into DOS, copy all the data from this partition into another one and then format the system partition. the reinstalled win98 shouldnt give u any problems. just check for viruses on ur other partitions though.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
cg84 said:
u dont have to format each and every partition of ur disk. ur problem is basically in the system partition(C: or whichever partition win98 is in). just boot into DOS, copy all the data from this partition into another one and then format the system partition. the reinstalled win98 shouldnt give u any problems. just check for viruses on ur other partitions though.
Powerful viruses may infect all the partitions and the bootsector itself.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- while in win98 boot menu in dos , choose the logged option and boot to 98 .
- whats the exact error msg in ie
- is it win98 1st or 2nd edition .
- try running an surface scandisk for the windows partition with autofix
- delete the win98 temp folder . whole folder from dos
- in command prompt , run scanreg /fix

Deep

Version 2.0
technovice said:
Hi deep!
Thanks for the links
but the problem is we are not able to boot even in safe mode...coz the same IE error pops up at startup and the pc hangs even in safe mode!
What else can we do other than formatting coz it will mean loss of some important data?

then i will suggest...

login using boot cd (dos mode)

copy whatever u want from c drive and format it and then reinstall the windows..

Regards
Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom