Soooooooo confused. Windows mobile or Android? Please help

din

Tribal Boy
OK, enough posts in the Android and Win mobile threads ! Gone through most of the recent threads, done researches, bugged senior members and friends and now I am more confused !!

Making it short (as always lol)

Old win mobile died (almost) and thinking of getting a new one.
Budget- Planning it in the 10K - 15K range. But ready to increase it slightly ;)
Need all business stuff - Email, calendar, reminders etc and then GPS, 3G, full touch etc. As usual, making and receiving calls will be an added advantage.
I am using gpsed for tracking and mgmaps for maps and navigation (offline). Both of these will not (yet) work on Android and there are no exact alternatives for these - that is where I am stuck at. I know MapmyIndia solution exist for Winmobile as well as Android.

I know Win mobile 7 is coming, at the same time Android is the future too. Any suggestions based on these? Basically need recommendation on the OS and not the phone. I mean go for Android or Win Mobile?

Anyone used any of these - gpsed, mgmaps, Qmail - and any suggestions on Android alternatives?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro one thing I know about WM7 is that their mobiles r going to cost 20k+

Just look at the minimum requirements of WM7...

Capacitive Touch: 4 or more contact points
Sensors: A-GPS, Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity
Camera: 5 megapixels or more, Camera with a flash and dedicated camera button
Multimedia: Common detailed specs, Codec acceleration
Memory: 256 MB, 8 GB Flash or more
GPU: DirectX 9 acceleration
Processor: ARMv7 Cortex/Scorpion or better (1ghz+)
2 screen sizes: 480×800 WVGA, 480×320 HVGA
Keyboard: Optional
Hardware Buttons: Must be fixed on the face

Also check out leaked WM7 handsets...

I think the upcoming android mobiles r going to be cheaper like I5800 and X8

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Remember WM7 will come with its share of niggles. For e.g. There will no cut-paste option and as sujoyp said it gonna be expensive.

Why don't you give HTC Wildfire a shot. Its a total value for money phone available for 15K!

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thanks, yes the options left are - mobile with WM 6.5 or handsets like Wildfire. But worried on the GPs apps that I presently use. gpsed was very useful. So either go for win mobile now (the available ones, that is WM6.1 or 6.5), or buy Android and then find the alternative app. Those two will be the options left I guess.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I personally think Wildfire's screen resolution is poor but again I5800 have the same resolution..
The only windows mobile phone worth considering in ur budget is Samsung Omnia lite with Wm6.5...But WM6.5 have same outdated UI and no XDA support

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Yes QVGA screen is a downer. But between tacky UI vs. QVGA screen. I would pick a QVGA screen. Anyways one tend to get used to after a while.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Capacitive Touch: 4 or more contact points
Sensors: A-GPS, Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity
Camera: 5 megapixels or more, Camera with a flash and dedicated camera button
Multimedia: Common detailed specs, Codec acceleration
Memory: 256 MB, 8 GB Flash or more
GPU: DirectX 9 acceleration
Processor: ARMv7 Cortex/Scorpion or better (1ghz+)
2 screen sizes: 480×800 WVGA, 480×320 HVGA
Keyboard: Optional
Hardware Buttons: Must be fixed on the face

Man! that puts winXP to shame. Couldn't we simply run a stripped down version of Windows XP instead :-D (just like iPhone runs a stripped down version of MAC OS)

I think android should be a better choice as it seems to have a larger developer community support and popularity than WinMo. And as time passes, android devices are bound to get cheaper due to the huge competition and its being free

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, coming back to the topic, I am not sure whether I mentioned it properly, but I like the program called gpsed very much and using it extensively in the Winmobile (it will not work in Android). What it does is, track my trip and uploads the track at specified intervals. For example, I can set it to upload every 3 mins or 5 mins, like that. So my friends and family know where I am. Such an app is not in Android, I mean, I could not find any. Google my tracks for Android - similar but lacks a lot of options.

So better stay with Winmobile? Know any Android alternatives for that app?

For mapping and navigation, I see mapmyindia, can buy it if I go for Android. Only problem is with the above app.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Alright, coming near to the decision and mostly it will be ....

HTC Legend. (I see budget going up !)

And mostly will go n buy it tomo

Meantime, found some apps thats very similar to gpsed. Like runkeeper, my tracks etc. Android forums helps a lot than google searches !

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Sorry for not updating the thread. Yes, I bought an Android phone - HTC Wildfire. Was too busy, I could not post details. Apologies.

Top Bottom