Sony Xperia SP VS LG google nexus 4

sukesh1090

Adam young
I am confused between these two phones,both has the same price.Nexus 4 has 2GB Ram compared to 1GB in xperia SP and also will receive all the Updates from Google pretty quickly.so i really appreciate if you guys help me to decide which one to buy.
Thanks.

Sarath

iDota
As a nexus 4 user I would say it is the best phone in its vicinity except for a few niggles like

Bad camera (not horrible but not as good as Sony or Nokia)
Fragile (glass on both sides)

Usual android problems like heating up etc...

debarshi

Otaku
One notable difference between the two is that N4 has 2 gb ram while XSP has 1 gb.... (Trust me that's a major difference)

As sarath said, N4 is pretty fragile, one fall and its ruined.... I've seen too many get broken, so keep that in mind.

And you simply wont be satisfied with the camera of Nexus 4.

Another point is updates - you'll get the latest updates from Google without any delay but will be missing out on proprietary Sony apps like Walkman and Album (I personally feel Walkman is the best music player for Android around, apart from Poweramp, if you want to shell out that much)

And I would rather suggest you to wait for Nexus 5, its a significant improvement over Nexus 4.

P.S. Go for Nexus 4, handle it with care if you are buying now.
Or wait up for the Nexus 5

Nexus 4 over SP:
- Better CPU+GPU
- 2GB RAM
- Great dev support
- Better front camera

SP over N4:
- SD card support
- 1-2k cheaper

Some noteworthy points:
- SP & N4 have approx same camera quality (not much difference)
- Android 4.4 might be the last Android update for it
- Nexus 4 >>> Xperia SP in terms of developer support, so custom ROMs, tweaks, etc are available in plenty. It will get future android versions from dev community
- Just get a good case for N4 like Rearth Ringke Fusion. No more worries about accidental falling

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
There is one thing holding me back from buying nexus 4 is its heating issues and some phone's back also cracked and one tempting thing is unlocked boot loader so I can install custom rom without voiding warranty (I think,not sure) and also latest updates from google,
@Sarath,
Is that heating issue very prominent, does it gets warm or really unbearably hot ?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
There is one thing holding me back from buying nexus 4 is its heating issues and some phone's back also cracked and one tempting thing is unlocked boot loader so I can install custom rom without voiding warranty (I think,not sure) and also latest updates from google,
@Sarath,
Is that heating issue very prominent, does it gets warm or really unbearably hot ?

All phones heat up... Use a phone case... You won't feel heat.

In my opinion, Nexus 4 is a lot superior to Xperia SP, and even Xperia ZR... Excellent value for money...

nikufellow

In the zone
+1 for nexus 4 , its both superior to sp in terms of specs and sftermarket rom support .IIRC after just a few hours of announcement of android 4.4 kitkat , it was ported to n4 that itself shows the incredible dev support its got

tubelight

Broken In
Indeed, for the price the N4 is unbeatable in terms of hardware. The pure Google experience is much better than anything else. I'd recommend N4 too, its available for 23k on Flipkart with free headphones as of now.

noob

Cyborg Agent
N4 or N5

N4 doesn't heat that much. It gets bit warm ONLY when playing graphics intensive games...so get N4 with eyes closed. Front glass is strong, back is not ( use case)

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
Ok then. I think I will go for nexus 4 as nexus 5 is way out of my budget. Thank you for the advice guys.

Sarath

iDota
@Sarath,

It is a standard android issue and it is not much different from others. Answering specifically, it gets warm only during gaming and such intense tasks not on normal usage,

I very strongly suggest you get a case for the phone that covers the entire back and sides, the mentioned ringke fusion case is recommended by me too.

Overall it is a 30k phone selling for 22k. There is little reason not to go for it.

zacfx05

Eeeeh What's up. Doc!?
It would be great if someone could comment about the battery, as much as i know sp gives you more backup. rest all have pointed out other advantage and disadvantage's

tubelight

Broken In
It would be great if someone could comment about the battery, as much as i know sp gives you more backup. rest all have pointed out other advantage and disadvantage's

I've had the N4 since Feb 12 and it goes through an average day easily. If its on 3G permanently, its pretty my dying by 9:30ish at night. It's a pain with all smartphones today sadly. I've started being conservative and staying on edge unless I need to use apps, then I switch to 3G and once done, switch back to edge. Easily lasts a full 24 hours like that.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
@zacfx05,
SP gives more back up because its dual core and has a 2370mAH battery where as nexus 4 is quad core with 2100mAh battery.
if it gives one day its more than enough for me.

All phones heat up... Use a phone case... You won't feel heat.

In my opinion, Nexus 4 is a lot superior to Xperia SP, and even Xperia ZR... Excellent value for money...

umm recommending a phone case to counter heating is bad. The biggest drawback of a phone case is that it doesnt allow heat to escape. Sure it will leave ur fingers cooler but think of the wear and tear on the chipset and the battery. My old Galaxy Ace battery swelled up like crazy due to overheating.

If battery and storage is not an issue then Nexus 4 is a great deal. Kit kat after all.... For me, i wanted a phone where i can pack lots of HD movies and games and not worry about phone dying off mid day, and that made me go for Xperia SP. It doesnt run as hot as Nexus 4 (due to plastic back) and i manage 30 mins of Nfs Most Wanted with 8% battery drain. Great job Sony on this one :) I have also watched 3 (hollywood 1:30hr approx) movies in my hostel with 30% battery left !! Something i doubt a Nexus 4 can manage.
When people are playing games on my phone i dont have to say "oye battery khatam ho raha he yaar.." and stuffs like that. In fact i show them all the latest HD games and new videos i have downloaded...

Camera wise, i havent heard praises about N4 cam, but im not impressed by Xperia Sp's either. I uploaded shots on the Xperia thread and as you can see, too much color saturation. Its like the world has gone AMOLED :(

If you are a heavy user, like constantly downloading songs and youtbe videos on 3G and your phone is always being used by you and your friends for gaming and watching Dota replays videos :) and stuffs, SP will be a better deal. If you keep the phone to yourself most of the time, Nexus 4 for you! Its lighter (hate Xperia SP's weight)and the gorgeous glass back may be your thingie.

Just giving my opinion :) Plz no hate

Last edited:
OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
thanks for your suggestion.Usually i don't allow someone else to mess with my phone :wink: and as far as it comes to gaming i hardly use phone for gaming as i don't like playing those FPS or Racing games on such a small screen.my main use is internet browsing.i also love its slim design and 2GB ram.

noob

Cyborg Agent
^^
thanks for your suggestion.Usually i don't allow someone else to mess with my phone :wink: and as far as it comes to gaming i hardly use phone for gaming as i don't like playing those FPS or Racing games on such a small screen.my main use is internet browsing.i also love its slim design and 2GB ram.

in that case N4 wins hands down anyways....

Top Bottom