Sony Xperia SL Sync Issues

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hey guys, i need some desperate help. My phone contacts before all used to be saved in local contacts. As a result it wasn't backing up on my google account. So i exported contacts to card and imported to google. As a result, my google account finally had my contacts as backup. Now here is where it all went wrong. I thought of deleting all the local contacts since they got linked to google and since it might create duplicate contacts, i decided to delete it. To my horror, my whole contact got empty. Tried to import it from google but somehow it wasn't coming on the phone. Later i selected import from local contacts and my contacts came back. But there are in a mess. Earlier whoever's contact i used to click, below their numbers, the whatsapp link too used to come, even the facebook link and the picture of the person. All that has disappeared. The whatsapp link too disappeared. How do i get it back.
I know there might be no Xperia S users here but if anyone has any clue, pls help.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sync issues has nothing to do with Handset model, it's google and android specific. Procedure is same for all Sony phones and other phones more or less same.

Menu > Settings > Setup Guide > Make sure Automatic Sync is turned on.

Menu > Settings > Check each and every a/c (Google, Facebook, Whatsapp) and check sync is enabled for all the options (Contacts, Photos etc.)

Everything will be fine I guess.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Thanks for the help..got the sync issue sorted but a new prob has emerged. Now i seem to have double contacts emerging in my phonebook..One is local contact and the other being my gmail account. How do i sort this?Also usually below the numbers, it used to show whether they had whatsapp enabled on that particular number. All that seem to have disappeared.

my problem is now related to a filter setting in contact..what should i select in filters?

Next issue is with pc companion on my computer..

it says phone information not accessible and server not accessible. What sort of prob is this??

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Thanks for the help..got the sync issue sorted but a new prob has emerged. Now i seem to have double contacts emerging in my phonebook..One is local contact and the other being my gmail account. How do i sort this?

Well, it looks like duplicate. I think all your contacts have double sync'ed with google, though to ensure that check your Google A/c (Gmail > Contacts) and check if each contact is duplicate there as like your phone.

Now if your contact is duplicate in google itself, then select all contacts and click on More > Find and Merge duplicates, and then relax, everything will be fixed in your phone too, while sync.

If contacts are not duplicate in google a/c then, delete all A/c setup from Settings > Accounts, then all the contacts from your phone and then again setup the A/c's (Google, Facebook)

If you are sure, as you said, that the duplicate are due to local and gmail thing, don't worry, those contacts will also be sync'd (and probably it has already been done), in that case use Gmail's Find and Merge tool. Else you can always follow the 2nd option :)

But be sure to note that, if duplicate contacts have already been sync'ed to google, then even resetting your phone won't help, as when you will setup a/c they will be back. So depending on situation (Verifying from Gmail > Contacts) follow 1st or 2nd option.

Also usually below the numbers, it used to show whether they had whatsapp enabled on that particular number. All that seem to have disappeared.

Go to Settings > A/c > Whatsapp > Select your number > Select Sync Contacts [Do this for all the A/c's you have to keep a sync b/w them]

my problem is now related to a filter setting in contact..what should i select in filters?

Didn't understand your question. Please elaborate.

Next issue is with pc companion on my computer..it says phone information not accessible and server not accessible. What sort of prob is this??

No idea :( I never used that PC Companion. May be someone else can help regarding this.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Well, it looks like duplicate. I think all your contacts have double sync'ed with google, though to ensure that check your Google A/c (Gmail > Contacts) and check if each contact is duplicate there as like your phone.

Now if your contact is duplicate in google itself, then select all contacts and click on More > Find and Merge duplicates, and then relax, everything will be fixed in your phone too, while sync.

If contacts are not duplicate in google a/c then, delete all A/c setup from Settings > Accounts, then all the contacts from your phone and then again setup the A/c's (Google, Facebook)

If you are sure, as you said, that the duplicate are due to local and gmail thing, don't worry, those contacts will also be sync'd (and probably it has already been done), in that case use Gmail's Find and Merge tool. Else you can always follow the 2nd option :)

But be sure to note that, if duplicate contacts have already been sync'ed to google, then even resetting your phone won't help, as when you will setup a/c they will be back. So depending on situation (Verifying from Gmail > Contacts) follow 1st or 2nd option.

Go to Settings > A/c > Whatsapp > Select your number > Select Sync Contacts [Do this for all the A/c's you have to keep a sync b/w them]

Didn't understand your question. Please elaborate.

No idea :( I never used that PC Companion. May be someone else can help regarding this.

Thank you so much..It has immensely helped...it worked..Thanks again

Top Bottom