Sony Unveils World's First 16.41 MP Sensor for Mobile Phones

leo61611616

Journeyman
Sony has unveiled a 16.41 megapixel, back-illuminated sensor for mobile phones.

*1.bp.blogspot.com/_nvQC_nchP4o/TK3qQn5WjyI/AAAAAAAAK-U/0ILxWsCA4cM/s1600/Sony+16.41MP+Sensor.jpg​

The new sensor is the world's first 16.41 megapixel Exmor R back-illuminated image sensor for a mobile phone. The official name for the sensor is IMX081PQ. It will be available to manufacturers this coming January and will carry a $30.30 price tag.

Read More Here

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
ok so this is the one I heard of on the internet that would be a competition to N8's 12MP sensor

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Yeah, this will be a serious rival of Nokia N8.
Sony is so eager to get back their title of 'BEST CAMERA PHONE'.
Wish they wud provide a xenon flash with that not a dual power LED.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish we could actually have Optical Zoom in a mobile fone. :( Enough of megapixels.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@ico
Some phones do have optical zoom like nokia n93 and samsung pixon 12, both of which have 3x optical zoom. Even spice tried their luck with optical zoom enabled 12MP camera mobile.

Its just that no mobile manufacturer is considering optical zoom to come to main stream mobiles (having >=5MP camera). I think they are afraid of experimenting!!! :)

OP
leo61611616

leo61611616

Journeyman
Agree with @ico! What we need now is Optical Zoom. All those MP is just increasing the photo size in Mbs... no one is going to use a mobile for pro photography.. so what's the use of it?? Any mobile user would be happy with a 5-7 MP camera and an optical zoom that clicks a decent picture rather than having 16 MP camera.

Top Bottom