Sony hacked again; Sony Pictures this time

sygeek

Technomancer
^It may not be off-topic, because it relates to Sony in a way, which is the topic. Anyways, if this is off-topic, the mods will naturally delete it.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@sarath Yeah, when I was playing Killzone 2 & Uncharted 2, to unlock new achievements it repeatedly asked me to install updates.. moreover, I had to manually disconnect the LAN cable (wifi router of BSNL sucks :p) to stop it from auto-updating..

I edited your link, cause it had a hack technique within.

Also, this auto-update, you were speaking about. Does it happen even when you are playing SP..?

@Rest:
Let us not discuss piracy or circumvention of hardware security protocols.

Not deleting any ones posts, but think before posting about "market hacks" and so forth along with price points for the same.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Auto updating is a feature only seen in PS Plus.

For the rest of us (like me) it has to be manually done.
However you will find the option to auto update in the menu but that will only prompt you to get the PS Plus subscription

The PS3 connects to the Sony? servers in the background however it will not download any patch or update. It shares some system information etc etc. I read this in a official statement a few months ago on engadget.com. However if you are found with a custom patch like the on by geohotz then it blocks your IP (console) number and hence disqualifies your PSN account. As a result you can not play online.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Thanks for the nice reply.

So, if I am JUST playing SPs, and have my Wi-Fi on (doing something else) -- MY PS3 will NEVER update..? Talking about the FW.? :)

Any source to prove that point?

sir, i'm sorry if my opinion was a problem to you, never meant to.

as you might be knowing that psp2 aka ngp is gonna release soon, so when that will come to surface, itz very obvious that game devs will turn their attention fully towards it, killing the psp1 gaming scene cause they know everyone has got a hacked psp. and if you check some psp sites you will know that this has even started, i guess itz 1-2 months back that ngp was announced, but after that many game devs have announced their games on ngp. what about psp now?

now for the same if sony dropped the price, it will surely boost the sales and that can revive the psp gaming scene.

about the source, i myself belong to a very popular psp site, and a very reputed member there. so i need not to state now that i know the basics of psp.

Also this topic is not about p1rating games and to defend for that.
sir i'm not defending piracy i'm just providing possible solutions, i love sony too, after all they provided us with the awesome gaming consoles. no offence

BTW It's like most often stated reasons for pirating a game in this forum and we really get fed up with that. So please stop discussing about that here.
thatz what i wanna say, most people say that the prices are too high for normal mans reach.

NOTE: this is not war between anyone, this is just a friendly argument about some topic, so guyz dont take it as something else.
*peace*

^^
Thanks for the nice reply.

So, if I am JUST playing SPs, and have my Wi-Fi on (doing something else) -- MY PS3 will NEVER update..? Talking about the FW.? :)

it will ask you before updating if you have disabled auto-update option

also i'm not talking about hacking, i'm talking about the possible wayz sony should opt to save consoles from hacking. take me as a sony guy. :)

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
You're welcome :)

The PS3 never ever updates on its own (unless ofcourse you are a PS plus user). It always has to be manually done. Infact every update has a end user agreement to be signed and okayed.
Even the game patches need to be manually updated. (frustratingly, since everytime you pop in a game you most likely have to update[game patch] and wait for 15mins or so)

As I said when the wifi is on and if SP=Single player then it wont update. But it does communicate with the servers. Also to play online you need to have the latest update always. But your PS3 will know if there is a system update or a new game patch if it is connected to wifi. It always checks for the latest update in the background but never updates it automatically. Only prompts while logging into PSN and not while booting. So offline gaming is fine.

Simply put. If your PS3 is offline. No online gaming ofcourse but no prompts made for game patches either.

But if it is connected then it knows there is a new patch. You cant play the game w/o DLing it since there is no "NO" option. Same goes for online.

What is FW?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piracy is affecting the gaming industry more than any other. I hope you know the development costs of a modern game.
Already we have fewer shorter games coming in.

If everyone cracked the PSP then no more games will come out for it.
Hence the PSP Go and online game DLs.
Now the NGP has a propriety game card slot+ SD card slot + online DL(able) games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@bharat do you think the PSP is actually worth just 10k? If you paid the actual price then the games would be cheaper but then you would have never bought the PSP in the first place.

Same with my PS3. Modern consoles are basically just assembled PC parts now (ofcource propriety). Can you build a full blown gaming rig for 20k now (5years after its debut despite cheaper faster parts available). You pay for the subsidy in the form of overpriced games. I too however hate paying 2.5k for a game. But 1.5k is bearable which is what I am doing.
A movie ticket costs Rs.200 for 3 hours. You can definitely pay 1k for a game that gives many times more entertainment.

No offence bro. Not taking a dig at you either. Even I have come back from the PSone days to finally buying legal copies on my PS3.
Back then I though we had to pay 1k for PS2/PS1 games just to get a booklet and a fancy box. I was not even aware of it being original or not.

What is FW?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piracy is affecting the gaming industry more than any other. I hope you know the development costs of a modern game.
Already we have fewer shorter games coming in.

If everyone cracked the PSP then no more games will come out for it.
Hence the PSP Go and online game DLs.
Now the NGP has a propriety game card slot+ SD card slot + online DL(able) games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@bharat do you think the PSP is actually worth just 10k? If you paid the actual price then the games would be cheaper but then you would have never bought the PSP in the first place.

Same with my PS3. Modern consoles are basically just assembled PC parts now (ofcource propriety). Can you build a full blown gaming rig for 20k now (5years after its debut despite cheaper faster parts available). You pay for the subsidy in the form of overpriced games. I too however hate paying 2.5k for a game. But 1.5k is bearable which is what I am doing.
A movie ticket costs Rs.200 for 3 hours. You can definitely pay 1k for a game that gives many times more entertainment.

No offence bro. Not taking a dig at you either. Even I have come back from the PSone days to finally buying legal copies on my PS3.
Back then I though we had to pay 1k for PS2/PS1 games just to get a booklet and a fancy box. I was not even aware of it being original or not.

FW is firmware

also you can say that i'm at my evolving stage, but really man, when i take a look at my pocket money and then at the prices of games, i prefer the other way. may be i'm wrong.

and i agree psp is not worth for 10k, but the thing that hurts me most is that i paid 10k for something that is of no use if i dont pay everytime i want to enjoy it.

also the point that game developing is too costly these dayz, but the royalty charged by sony makes it more costly. i'm just saying, why not sony just drop itz share so that prices become more affordable.

you might be knowing about total_noob releasing his lcfw of 6.20, soon after it was released there was a boost in sales of psp go. this is what proves my point.

drop the price and everyone will buy original, well not everyone, but it will give a big boost to the sales certainly. i would prefer originals myself.

sygeek

Technomancer
This reminds me of my cousin. He couldn't decide whether to go for PS3/XBox 360. He was a PS3 fanboy but was confused if he should buy it just because it hadn't been cracked at that time. He didn't want to spend damnloads of money on the games.

Just so if you're wondering, he finally bought PS3 and is now using ebay to buy games.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
There is only one cure to that. Borrow from friends and buy used games. I have friends who have hardly bought any games as he mostly just borrows from friends.

Sony doesnt make a good profit selling the consoles. So they want more game sales. This was reflected in their new statement that "No new technology will be developed exclusively for the NGP as they have learnt from the PS3. They would now stick to making it more economical by using available parts." Which means no Cell2 proc.

I understand what you are saying. Gaming on consoles is just too expensive. I bought a lot of them during the holidays. After that I will borrow and trade with my friends. Easy simple economical.

Almost every PSP i have seen with my friends has custom firmware.

@Sygeek: I reckon thats the reason the xbox is so famous now. I resisted the temptation somehow. Or maybe I was dating someone then :p

P.S. Too lazy to correct typos up there

i guess in my friends i'm the only one with a psp,:( :( :( so no sharing or borrowing.

n do you mean that sony has refrained from installing that quad core proc. in ngp? i didnt hear that from anyone.
but then too, ngp's games wont be compatible with the psp/ psp go... so that will automatically be a red sign for psp game development, everyone will focus on ngp.

eagerly waiting for ngp to release :D but i'm sad for my psp :(

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
i guess in my friends i'm the only one with a psp,:( :( :( so no sharing or borrowing.

n do you mean that sony has refrained from installing that quad core proc. in ngp? i didnt hear that from anyone.
but then too, ngp's games wont be compatible with the psp/ psp go... so that will automatically be a red sign for psp game development, everyone will focus on ngp.

eagerly waiting for ngp to release :D but i'm sad for my psp :(

probably give it to me for free.... I'll use that PSP and play some classic titles..... :D

@Sarath
If no Cell2 proc in NGP, then what it will be?

Sony just announced at their E3 conference that the NGP (PS Vita) will be sold 250$ in the US… but of course there’s a trick

The NGP will be 250 euros in Europe, that’s 370$, 25’000 yen in Japan, that’s 310$, screw those marketing techniques, seriously…. That’s for the Wifi only version, while the Wifi+3G version will be sold 300$ in the US, 30’000 yen in Japan, that’s 375$, and 300 euros in Europe, that’s 440$.

probably give it to me for free.... I'll use that PSP and play some classic titles..... :D

no sir i still love my psp and love to play god of wars and mgs peacewalker on it... :D

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I know we all heard rumours that the quad core cell proc will be seen in the NGP but that is well a rumour and I have no idea about its credibility.

However Sony has said that the NGP will be more powerful(or same as) than the PS3. Which is possible since in the 5years since the PS3 launched proc speeds and efficiency have definitely improved.

Also the fact that the NGP and PS3 will have the same game running on both platforms shows that the experience should be more or less similar. The game saves can be shared between the two and you will be able to pick up the game and play on the NGP from where you stopped in the PS3.

Must be an ARM proc. Anything else will eat up the battery. GPU? well no idea.

*img835.imageshack.us/img835/2439/ngpspecs685x441.jpg

it has a quad core... itz official

also i doubt that the games will be same for ps3 and ngp.. coz ngp have a touch pad unlike ps3 and motion sensors too...

yeah ps3's games can be played in ngp but ngp's games in ps3.. nahhhh... :D

Sony just announced at their E3 conference that the NGP (PS Vita) will be sold 250$ in the US:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:… but of course there’s a trick

The NGP will be 250 euros in Europe, that’s 370$, 25’000 yen in Japan, that’s 310$, screw those marketing techniques, seriously…. That’s for the Wifi only version, while the Wifi+3G version will be sold 300$ in the US, 30’000 yen in Japan, that’s 375$, and 300 euros in Europe, that’s 440$.

no sir i still love my psp and love to play god of wars and mgs peacewalker on it... :D

no it will be priced below 15000... 250x50=12500 in us.. so in india it will be below 15000

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I am talking about the upcoming UC3. Ofcourse the NGP will have its share of exclusive games.

A 15000 price point is most likely. INR 10000 would be sweet.

The PS3 retails for 18000 INR so its unlikely that the NGP would retail at 20k making Sony look stupid.

They would anyways make money on overpriced games.

I am talking about the upcoming UC3. Ofcourse the NGP will have its share of exclusive games.

A 15000 price point is most likely. INR 10000 would be sweet.

The PS3 retails for 18000 INR so its unlikely that the NGP would retail at 20k making Sony look stupid.

They would anyways make money on overpriced games.

see, you too agree my point :D

Top Bottom