Sony Cybershot W80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankit

Journeyman
Dear friends,
There is one very good camera which has not been discussed so far Nikon s510. I'll keep my observations to ultracompact camera ( not even compact ones)

First let me quote grey market Appx. prices:
Sony W80 8200/-
Sony T20 9600/-
Nikon s51 9200/-
Nikon s510 9800/-
Canon Ixus 860 IS no idea but shld be arnd 14k
canon Ixus950 IS shld be arnd 13k
Sony T70 Around 13-14k
Fujifilm f50fd around 12k
All prices are for camera only.. storage card extra

The best camera is undoubtebly is canon ixus 870 IS. but it is costly. Most feature rich is fujifilm f50fd with 12mp, 1/1.6" sensor size and with shutter and aperture priority modes.
For under 10 k budget ( as the case with me) the toss up is between s510 and T20, T 20 wins in good macro performance (1cm vs 15cm) and battery life while s510 scores in terms of better flash and low light performance as well as slight edge in terms of pic quality, and better F number. Lookswise sony is unbeatable.

For those on a shoe string budget ... they can go for Nikon L12 ultracompact. Grey market arnd 6500/-, and beleive me it even features optical Image stabilisation.

Ankit

Journeyman
Sorry for double post but Edit option was giving some errors
Sony T70 is 12000/-
Sony T200 is 15500/-

maximus999

Broken In
Sony W80 is 12K on homeshop18 . com too......

*www.homeshop18.com/hs18shop/faces/...2=&k3=&k4=&k5=&k6=&k7=&k8=&k9=&k10=&k11=&k12=

which is the cam u used to take the pic of the cam thats a sexy cam too :p

btw i got the Sony t200 for 15k without bill :D it rox my uncle took it said u get another 1 :(

15K for T200.....alfa?? HeeraPanna?? from whr yaar???

Last edited:

napster007

Padawan
i had bought the w80 2 months ago for 14.5k. i saw this thread and decided to join the conversation. btw, nice rev gx_saurav

The Sony DSC W80 is one of the many pocket sized digital cameras on the market. This model has seven megapixels and a three times zoom lens. With so many digital cameras of this type to choose from it is often hard to say why a camera stands out from its competitors. The attractions of thw DSC W80 include value for money, ease of use and a fast shutter response.

Image Quality
Running through the tests starting with the first outdoor shot, focusing is sharp enough, but not quite in the league of more expensive models. Focusing levels are retained as you move out towards the edges of the shot. The glare of the sun causes a small amount of detail to be lost where the sun reflects directly off the boats in the picture. Colours look good to me, although if I am being fussy there is a degree of noise showing in the sky.

The DSC W80 finds the next outdoor shot a tougher test and focusing is not as sharp in this photo. This is a common theme in my tests and the distance between the camera and the scene makes it harder to maintain focusing.

With the lens zoomed in to its full capacity the third outdoor shot works quite well. Again I can see the glare of the sun causing a problem on areas of the boats. Detail is lost in these areas.

As I have already mentioned I like the colours produced by Sony digital cameras. Looking at all the outdoor scenic shots together with the specific colour test I think the levels are about right. This is a matter of personal taste, but the colours are vivid without overpowering you.

The outdoor portrait is another example of the way the colours work. Here they add some warmth to the photo without adding too much of an orange tint as some cameras do. This is another sharp photo.

My lowlight tests are passed easily by the DSC W80. Even in very lowlight I found the camera was able to focus as long as it is within range for the auto focus illuminator to work. Focusing is some way above average in both my portrait and extreme lowlight test. Unfortunately as with other Sony digital cameras red eye is a problem.

The macro shot is o.k. without being anything special. It is sharp enough, but there is a very slight blue tinge to the photo as the camera doesn't quite cope with the artificial lighting.

Up to ISO 400 the camera performs reasonably well. After this level picture quality slides down hill. The maximum ISO rating you can use is ISO 3200. Personally I wouldn't look to use this setting!

Shutter Lag

This is an area where the DSC W80 excels. It is the fastest camera I have tested for sometime. I was able to take a single photo in 0.15 seconds and five photos in 5.08 seconds. That's an outstanding performance. With the flash on it took a single photo in 0.28 seconds and five photos in 12.69 seconds. That beats the time recorded by many cameras with the flash off.

Style: You can take your pick when it comes to colour. The DSC W80 is available in silver, black white and pink. It has an aluminium body. Otherwise it is a fairly standard looking digital camera and is just about small enough to fit into a pocket.

Dimensions: 91 x 58 x 22.9mm

Weight: 124g

Batteries: Lithium ion. Battery and charger supplied. Sony suggest you should be able to take in the region of 340 shots between charges.

Memory cards: 31mb built in memory (enough for around fourteen photos). Also compatible with Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick Duo Pro cards

Points I like:
Low shutter lag - viewfinder - ease of use

Where it could improve:
Red eye

Verdict:
I like the Sony DSC W80. With virtually no shutter delay you should always get your shot with this camera. In lowlight the camera performs well (shame about the red eye!) and is capable of taken a decent shot outside. Worth a look if you are looking for a good value for money, pocket sized digital camera.

menus :

*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/sony-dsc-W80-resolution.jpg

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yesterday i tested IXUS 70, W80 and T70. Among the three, I felt IXUS70 had the better overall quality.

When I zoomed in using IXUS 70, there was lot of distortion when seen in LCD but once I took shot, the image was damn clear and crisp, even in lowlight, it performed really well, unlike W80 that didn't have good lowlight image quality.

just my thought.

GK Vale price of IXUS 70 : Rs.14.5k
Price at canon dealer in SP Road (extremely trusted dealer) Vishal Infotech : Rs.11.7k

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
IXUS..hmm, How did I missed that, but anyway...no matter which camera I buy obviously the pics will need editing in photoshop anyway

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
*img150.imageshack.us/img150/6371/48588774ws8.gif

Hey whatz the price of A710IS , i really like that camera .

and which is the best point and shoot camera in 10k range
i want to setup A710IS as point and shoot , can i do?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
*img150.imageshack.us/img150/6371/48588774ws8.gif

Hey whatz the price of A710IS , i really like that camera .

and which is the best point and shoot camera in 10k range
i want to setup A710IS as point and shoot , can i do?

I would recommend you to stretch your budget to 12k and try the following cam's:

1) Canon IXUS 70
2) Olympus FE-280
3) Olympus FE-820.

in the order of preference.

Last edited:

Ankit

Journeyman
Ixus 70 performs good by only in the hand of a good photgrapher when you compare it with Sony T-70. It is an obvious winner with w80. The best one as i said earlier is Ixus 860 IS. BTW on 31st dec I purchased one Sony T70 for 11000/- (without bill)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yes. I agree that 860IS is a clear winner and i would give it a 10/10.

I tried IXUS 70 in various conditions from sunrise to midnight and it was really good. Looks like am a good photographer :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i dont know guys about the 860is as compared to t200 - t200 full HD stills; 3.5" Touch screen and to top it off t200 looks sexier

abtibz

Right off the assembly line
hey guys...
i too hav Sony W80 point & shoot camera.
i brought it thru my frnd in USA for about 7.5K in January this yr...
initially it gave me awesum shots, but off late the noise in the photos hav increased to such a level that im gettin edgy with the photos i click.
i will post, for u guys, few of my old n new photos, all unedited.
if any1 of u knows wot could b the possible reason for the noise level &/or if u hav a remedy 2 reduce noise, do lemme know.

avi_avadhut

Broken In
small update -
only T series of sony is made in japan
rest like W / s series is made in china/taiwan/koria.

i know this coz i purchased T100 almost a year ago in tokyo.
i knew if i get T200 my friends will spoil it due to touch screen to i took T100.
it takes some time to get command on it.... but its a nice one :)
best part is so compact u can carry like a mobile anywhwere... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom