Some questions about Corsair CX500

quicky008

Technomancer
In a thread that I posted a few weeks earlier in this forum,I had asked the members to help me select a new psu for my system within a price range of Rs.3k-4k.Almost everyone had suggested that i should go for a low priced psu from corsair's VX lineup,such as VX450 or maybe even GS600 as both of them will fit into my budget and offer great bang for the buck too.
I have looked for them at some of the most popular shops in kolkata like MD computers etc but to no avail.I've been told that psus from corsair's VX and GS lineup are unavailable here as of now as they are completely out of stock-these people have no idea when they're likely to become available again.The only psus that are available here are the ones from corsair's CX series,namely the CX430 and CX500.

I need to get a psu for my system asap and it's not possible for me to wait any longer.I've heard that CX430 isn't a reliable psu and has some known issues and so I'm thinking of buying the CX500 because i have no other options at the moment.Will buying it for about Rs 3.4k(as quoted by dealer) be worthwhile?Does the CX500 have any reliability/stability issues like cooler master's extreme power psus?Please advice.

(P.s.-While I've heard a lot of complaints that the CX series is garbage I believe this is only applicable to the 430-is my assumption correct?)

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
I have cx400 and its got no problems for the past 5 months. don't know about cx500 though.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Don't buy the CX series PSU, apart from CX 400. They are actually little below quality products and can only provide their quoted performance in below 40 degree C and hence not recommended for Indian climate.

If you can a GS 600, go for it. It is better than VX 450.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@Cilus:I know but neither the corsair VX 450 nor the GS600 are currently available in kolkata-I've searched fervently for both of them.I was not very keen on buying a corsair CX psu either as I didn't want to make any compromises on quality but as it is the only option available to me now,I am in a real predicament.

Cilus

laborare est orare
GS 600 is readily available in Kolkata. Check M.D. Computers. Me and Tenida have verified it 2 weeks back. He also has purchased the GS 700.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@Cilus:I called M.D. computers today in the afternoon and was informed by their salesperson that the GS600 is totally out of stock.He further added that if i wanted to go for a corsair psu,i'll have to settle for a CX430 as it is the only corsair psu they currently have.Can u recommend any other store at CR avenue where it may be available?Technocrat told me that they don't sell corsair psus.Does Supreme technology Ltd deal in corsair power supplies??

When u and Tenida checked for the availability of gs600 at MD,what price did the retailer quote for it?Please note that my budget cannot exceed 4k(4.2k max).Do u think it will be available for 4k or less?Please reply-i am really confused about the price of gs600!!

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Gs600 - 4k

Are u sure?Some online retailers like theitwares.com are selling it for about 4.5k-has its price been reduced recently?

@Cilus:For how much was the gs600 retailing at md 2 wks earlier?I'd be glad if u could shed some light on this matter.

Cilus

laborare est orare
GS600 is 4K in Kolkata. Check Vedant Infotech and Starcomp Infotech for Corsair PSU availability.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
GS600 is 4K in Kolkata. Check Vedant Infotech and Starcomp Infotech for Corsair PSU availability.

I called vedant today in the morning and learned that the VX 450 is indeed available there.So i visited this shop in the afternoon and when i asked them for this particular psu,one of their employees informed me rather sheepishly that its no longer available!Then i told him about the conversation that I've had with someone from their store this very morning;at this point,another guy who was sitting behind the counter interrupted and mentioned that he was the one who had told me on the phone that this psu will be available today and asked me quite gently to wait for a couple of mins.

A few mins later,i was informed that they will be able to get this psu for me but i will have to wait for a while.After waiting for about 45 mins,the psu was delivered and i bought it for Rs 3750.I am quite satisfied with quality of service offered by vedant.Before going to vedant,i had been to md computers to enquire about this psu and there i was told that corsair has discontinued manufacturing it(is it true?!)-even the gs600 was not available with them.

So if anyone from kolkata is planning to buy this psu within the next few days,my advice to him will be to look for it at vedant as its probably the only shop at GC avenue where this psu is still being sold.Why has the availability of corsair's VX and GS psus suddenly reduced so drastically?This is truly inexplicable!

I hereby thank Cilus and all other members of this forum for lending me their valuable advice and suggestions.Have a nice day,my good friends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom