Some problems in the broadband cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

debaisaindian

LOVING UBUNTU
Hello guys,
I have faced many problems by my internet provider,so i am discussing it with you here.Please try to figure the problems out.

1.How the cable internet provider shares a connection?
(As I am staying at Hostel, I was the first to get the connection and then the d/l speed was 60kbps on 256kbps connection.After one of my friend got another connection,we both are getting 30kbps d/l speed individually)

2. How can a modem acts as a unlimited connection legally?
(One of my friend has 256kbps connection from the same ISP and his d/l speed is 300-350kbps and his bandwidth is also not displayed in the cable modem's information page, means unlimited bandwith)

I will be grateful if any other people are having the same sort of problems or not.If then pls figure the out.

eddie

El mooooo
debaisaindian said:
1.How the cable internet provider shares a connection?
(As I am staying at Hostel, I was the first to get the connection and then the d/l speed was 60kbps on 256kbps connection.After one of my friend got another connection,we both are getting 30kbps d/l speed individually)
If you are talking about Internet Connections through LAN then you should know that they have specific applications do so. Your internet provider must be requiring you to login into his server by using some software. Commonly used example is 24onlineclient. There servers on the other hand are controlled by a server application which has a control panel. These server applications shape your bandwidth to what ever the provider desires.

2. How can a modem acts as a unlimited connection legally?
(One of my friend has 256kbps connection from the same ISP and his d/l speed is 300-350kbps and his bandwidth is also not displayed in the cable modem's information page, means unlimited bandwith)
A cable modem's speed is much more than just 256kbps. 256kbps is the speed of your internet connection and not of the modem. The ISP providing you with the connection always tell you the speed of the connection and if they are providing that then you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom