[Solved] USB port voltage

Nakul

Right off the assembly line
We use the usb port to charge a lot of our devices na... could someone tell me what is the exact output voltage of the usb port..?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Re: USB port voltage

We use the usb port to charge a lot of our devices na... could someone tell me what is the exact output voltage of the usb port..?
While Wikipedia and other reference sources are valuable, in some cases, the sheer amount of information may be overwhelming. Here's a condensed answer to your question:

The short answer is 5V. The two outer pins of the common USB port supplies the +ve and -ve 5V terminals. The two inner pins are the data lines.

A slight expansion: The current that can be drawn from a normal USB port is limited. If a connected device tries to draw too much current, the output voltage automatically drops. This prevents overloading and short-circuits. This is one reason why some USB devices like external hard disks do not function reliably with some computers.

As with many technical standards, there are variations and sub-types.

tkin

Back to school!!

While Wikipedia and other reference sources are valuable, in some cases, the sheer amount of information may be overwhelming. Here's a condensed answer to your question:

The short answer is 5V. The two outer pins of the common USB port supplies the +ve and -ve 5V terminals. The two inner pins are the data lines.

A slight expansion: The current that can be drawn from a normal USB port is limited. If a connected device tries to draw too much current, the output voltage automatically drops. This prevents overloading and short-circuits. This is one reason why some USB devices like external hard disks do not function reliably with some computers.

As with many technical standards, there are variations and sub-types.
Care to elaborate on that?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent

^Not much to elaborate. Some mobo designs limit the USB output current more severely than others. The device can't get enough juice and functions erratically or not at all. To circumvent this, some devices come with two USB connectors but stability is sometimes marginal even then.

I've observed this several times. In some cases, I confirmed the fact by measuring the output voltage at the terminals.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Also happens when you cramp too many USB devices to a hub.

Top Bottom