[Solved] Sapphire 6770 core clock problem

sunnyhj

Broken In
Hi guys,

I just bought a new sapphire 6770 card...and checked its core clock..its set at 775 MHz instead of 850 MHz..the mmry clck is at 1200Mhz.and the problem is after installing MSI afterburner to see its overclocking capabilities...

The core clock slider ends at 800MHz..!?? how it that possible..?? i thought that 6770 comes with a 850 MHz clock which is overclocked from factory 800Mhz...Instead i get a underclocked card which i can't even overclock over 800Mhz..??

Is the card damaged or something..??

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't say for sure why but HD6770 has some versions which comes with 775 Mhz core clock speed.

GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - ATI - PCI Express Solution - Radeon HD 6000 series - GV-R677D5-1GD

this Gigabyte HD6770 has 775 Mhz core and 1000 Mhz mem clock speed.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
My 5770 was 850MHz from the start (not an OC edition card), so I think 850MHz is the correct frequency for HD 6770/5770. Sapphire tweaks the PCB so that your overclocking options are limited.

See why I'm against Sapphire? You gotta be real careful about what you're getting if you want a Sapphire card.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^oc limit is set by amd overdrive and not sapphire and that applies to every manufacturer and u can easily go past that oc limit using trixx or modified afterburner. :-|

Last edited:

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
the reference clocks of 5770/6770 are 850/1200(4800 effective) resp. try using the Trixx as js already mentioned

OP
S

sunnyhj

Broken In
Thankz guyzz..!! trixx did the trick..!! :D i now have a proper sapphire card.. :)) ...i was thinking of rma it before...but if this works why rma it....

thankz again guys.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^oc limit is set by amd overdrive and not sapphire and that applies to every manufacturer and u can easily go past that oc limit using trixx or modified afterburner. :-|

Even considering my ignorance regarding this matter, Sapphire's modified PCB (and, for that matter, even XFX I guess) does not have the same voltage tweaking capabilities as a reference PCB HD 5770/6770. The OC potential is limited anyway due to this.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thankz guyzz..!! trixx did the trick..!! :D i now have a proper sapphire card.. :)) ...i was thinking of rma it before...but if this works why rma it....

thankz again guys.

glad to know it's working now with proper clock speed ;-)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Even considering my ignorance regarding this matter, Sapphire's modified PCB (and, for that matter, even XFX I guess) does not have the same voltage tweaking capabilities as a reference PCB HD 5770/6770. The OC potential is limited anyway due to this.

till now i didnt came across such statement. any proof?

AcceleratorX

Youngling
It's not said explicitly since Sapphire (and others) sell many different models of HD 5770 (I do not know if this applies to 6770, but probably does). You can see inferences from a number of posts here:

*forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=16326442
*www.overclock.net/amd-ati/749651-what-5770-has-voltage-control.html
*www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?252509-Reference-HD-5770-s&
*www.overclock.net/amd-ati/726412-5770-v3-worthy-1ghz-core.html

overclockers forum said:
The cooler is dual slot, the I/O panel is single. The cooler looks effective for such a card to me, but bear in mind that they no longer allow voltage increases (Same goes for all the new non reference 'V3' 5770s with custom PCBs, including the Sapphire

overclock.net forums said:
You need voltage adjustments to hit 1ghz core.

(HIS Radeon HD 5770 v3) card does not have them.

Note that it seems "V3" refers to any non-reference PCB and not a standard PCB per se. The brands I know that are selling such products are XFX, HIS and Sapphire.

The big problem is that when you buy a card, even OC versions come with modified as well as reference PCB (depending on revision). There is no bonafide guarantee of what you're getting when you open the box - Plus, even if you knew model numbers of revised versions, how will you ask the dealer, "Hey, give me Sapphire 100283-L instead of 100283-3L"?

There are other reasons too why (in my opinion) Sapphire isn't that good - cheaper capacitors, cutbacks on cooling on non-VaporX, non-reference PCB coolers, etc.

I haven't seen an XFX card in a long time, so I do not want to comment on them. But PowerColor, MSI and Asus seem like good stuff when it comes to ATI/AMD cards.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^happened once to me too got a xfx9600 & to my surprise it had 48SP in place of 64 since i purchased from a local dealer i got is replaced at once with a 9800, i got a XFX 6850 recently the build quality is as good as Asus but i feel the Msi military class products uses superior components

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@AcceleratorX
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 Voltage control - Guru3D.com Forums
please see the high oc he achieved without voltage control.

and sapphire non reference coolers are better than reference anyday.
have you examined the caps?

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^happened once to me too got a xfx9600 & to my surprise it had 48SP in place of 64 since i purchased from a local dealer i got is replaced at once with a 9800, i got a XFX 6850 recently the build quality is as good as Asus but i feel the Msi military class products uses superior components

There are certain versions of 9600 GT card having 48 SPs and with increased Core clock and memeory speed to compensate the loss of SPs. These models are called GeForce 9600 GSO 512, with 48 stream processors (64 for original 9600 GT) with 900 MHz core clock (650 MHz for 9600 GT) and 1625 MHz Memory clock (1008 MHz for 9600 GT). Some of them are available with 1 GB memory too.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^but it read 9600GT in gpuz not 9600gso also cilus i want to know can a manufacturer fiddle with the no of sp's can it be done in the gpu bios
if i am correct 1st version 9600GSO had 96 sp then the reduced it to 48 in second version

thanks for the info

Cilus

laborare est orare
1st version of 9600 GSO was no new cards, they were rebranded 8800 GS. The 2nd brand of cards were new cards with 48 SPs. For enabling/disabling SPs in a GPU either laser cut can be used to physically remove bunch of SPs or modify BIOS to do so. Example is HD 6950 and HD 6970 where BIOS modification is used to disable SPs in HD 6970 to produce HD 6950,

AcceleratorX

Youngling
@AcceleratorX
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 Voltage control - Guru3D.com Forums
please see the high oc he achieved without voltage control.

and sapphire non reference coolers are better than reference anyday.
have you examined the caps?

I examined some of the caps that were easily, externally visible. There are still a few (2 or 3) electrolytic caps and these are made by Teapo on my Sapphire card. Teapo doesn't have a good history, check the internet for more information.

The solid capacitors are made by Samxon, arguably these are relatively good capacitors. But when others (like MSI) can offer 100% solid capacitor design with high grade components, I don't see why one should go for Sapphire.

BTW, the Guru3D thread says the poster had to re-do the Thermal Interface Material (Paste) to get that OC (otherwise temps would be higher), and he also claims sapphire did a poor job at it. Since I have this card, I'm going to agree with him on the comments about the thermal paste.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
msi uses high grade components is big joke.
msi mobos have highest rate of vrm failure. caps blow simply.
And here is why I absolutely HATE MSI.. - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
About VRMs & Mosfets / Motherboard Safety with 125W+ TDP processors - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
and i hope that high grade component design you mentioned is not reserved for gpu only.

and about re-do the thermal paste ofcourse for nice oc you need to try your best.

Top Bottom