[Solved] First time assembly... PC turns on then off after half a second.

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Yeah... I don't know what I screwed up...

I turn the power on, then for like a second, the fans spin (CPU, case & PSU fans)... just for a second... and all of them stop.

I currently have connected:
Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2V
AMD A6-3650
GSkill Ripjaws X 4GB @ 1600
Corsair CX430v2.
Cooler Master 310 Elite cabinet.

Haven't connected any drives yet... but it should still work right?

My first doubt is that the motherboard accepts a 4-pin 12V supplemental power supply. The CX430v2 seems to have a 4+4 connector?
I connected half of the 4+4 pin thingy (the half labeled 12V CTS or something) to the motherboard... it fits in nicely, but am I doing it right?
The other half is labeled with 'G'.

I'm on a reaaaly slow connection, but I'll try and update this post with pics in a bit. But if you can guess meanwhile, please do.

EDIT: I donno if I should have, but I just connected the 'G' part of the 4+4 connector and the same thing happened. It also seems that the 'G' labeled part has 'holes' that match up with the motherboards ATX_12v port... the half labeled 12V doesn't (though it still fits)

And... I'm really having problems uppin pics. I'm temporarily on a really bad connection.

EDIT2
:

Finally got some pics...
*i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m542/boom7777/close_up12v.jpg
*i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m542/boom7777/overview.jpg

That was the initial orientation... have tried to switch it around as well... (in the pic, the 4+4's half labeled '12' is connected to the board... though I realized that the holes don't match, but fits easily. I also tried the other half.. labeled 'G', but same issue.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
when you connect either half does the socket clip(on connector from psu) fits clicking over the locking notch(a small plastic extension on one side of the 4 holes atx connector on mobo).

OP
S

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Yeah.. I just tried it with the half labeled '12' and it clicked, but same issue.

Also for that 1 second, the CPU fan spins in a counter-clockwise direction... but the label on the heatsink shows clockwise?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
reset cmos, remove ram.

don't plug in mismatching EPS cables. stick to the G-marked one.

check if the PSU is working. try someones other PC. friends PC if you can. or try to short the point of the EPS connector. google it for detailed method.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) I think you haven't installed the HSF correctly. Remove it and reinstall it again.

2) There could be a short with the motherboard, I doubt this is the case though.

3) Power supply problem. You *might* have received a defective unit. Try it in a friend's build.

OP
S

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
x____x

I think it's working. A number of things could have been wrong.

I took everything out and tried an 'outside' setup first.

First, I took out the RAM and put it in the 2nd slot (DDR_1 as opposed to DDR_0). Maybe it wasn't seated properly before.

More importantly, I stuck to using the 'G' labeled half of the 4+4 connector.. which had matching heads with the MoBo ATX_12V port. At first I had separated the 4+4 connector into 2 halves, but now I tried a few times with it stuck to its other half and plugging it in as such (label G was connected, label 12V was not).

This seemed to do the trick.. maybe it was a loose connection.

Anyway, later I was also connecting the CM Elite 310 rear fan into the MoBo... this led to the same initial problem. I later realized that while the fan's connector was a 3 pin thingy (MoBo had 4), I had initially took out the Molex plug connector that the fan's 3 pin was connected to when I first opened the cabinet's box.
I put this molex connector back on and connected it directly to the PSU's molex thingy.

Voila, stuff worked.

Another possible cause... and I hope not... is that I rather messily screwed in a MoBo standoff and later when screwing in the MoBo via another screw... it's now stuck permanently to the standoff and when unscrewing, the standoff rotates as well.
Hope this wasn't causing some shorting in my initial attempts... hope it won't randomly act up again if it did.

So... that's that. Many nubbish mistakes, but it's looking okay now I think. Windows just finished installing as I typed this.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
so, congrats on your new machine. :mrgreen:

Do download Catalyst 11.12 Suite for the IGP. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beauty of PC assembling, you learn from your mistakes and grew more confident for future adventures. ;)

OP
S

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Thanks guys.

And.. yeah I'm glad you told me to download that driver pack thingy. I'm clueless wrt new hardware. You wouldn't believe the rig I've been using at home for the past 6 years... so many workarounds/alternative programs/wait-for-program-for-1-minute-after-each-action... hopefully it will all seem like a bad dream with this new rig.

Top Bottom