★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
My Present config is:

PSU : 450W
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 ghz
XFX Nvidia GT220
3gb ram ( 1gb ADATA 2gb something else) @667 mhz
160 gb HDD from samsung
Intel DG3PRI classic mobo

Is this configuration good for overclocking the CPU ?

Will a bios update let you overclock the CPU if there is no option in BIOS ?
I have heard about software that allows you to overclock CPU like setFSB and systool

SetFSB 2.0

SysTool - System Tweaking and Overclocking Utility

Do they work ? I heard you cant restore using these?
Please help me in this regard

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Never ever overclock your computer using a software.sometimes overclock might be pushed. Windows will work but next time you POST your computer will not boot and you will end up needing to format.
Avoid software.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Read this post mate
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/149055-computr-went-kaboom-overclocking.html#post1531049

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
what does the software do?
Does it apply overclocked settings at startup ( then safemode will work no? )

And will a bios update help to change the FSB via BIOS.

Always OC from BIOS, its safe and much stable
My bios doesnt support it .

Will a bios update let me do it?

Read this post mate
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/149055-computr-went-kaboom-overclocking.html#post1531049
Thanks, I was just going to try it out. Ah........I wouldnt want to blow up my PC now.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ If you want to OC desperately then just get a better OC supporting OC.

Even i you succeed with setFSB, i doubt you OC will be stable, because your mobo is not designed too support and you will finally end up with BSODs and crashes

kapilove77

Padawan
I overclocked my cpu by asus utility and it oced my cpu to 4.3ghz as i stability tested it. So u guyz saying i m at risk here?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
I overclocked my cpu by asus utility and it oced my cpu to 4.3ghz as i stability tested it. So u guyz saying i m at risk here?

no ur not at all at risk. bios oc is also having all these side effects that these guys are listing....

OCing using S/W is perfectly SAFE.

for all practical purposes i use amd overdrive for ocing the cpu... and its never been a prob for me.....

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent

LOLZ If ur thinking its a pure software OC on the Asus P8Z68 V-Pro MB then i think ur wrong it is a chip for OC i.e TPU combined with AI Suite II utility gives u the overclock same feature in MSI mb's is called OCGenie
The TPU chip run tests on processor/MB/Ram and automatically applies the best stable voltages & frequencies

thebanik

Broken In
Never ever overclock your computer using a software.sometimes overclock might be pushed. Windows will work but next time you POST your computer will not boot and you will end up needing to format.
Avoid software.

Please read a bit before suggesting such utter non-sense. Software OC is completely safe and does not harm your CPU, since a tool like SETFSB doesnot even give the option to push higher voltages. And that is the reason why your overclock maynot be stable when done through Setfsb. Another negative (or positive, whichever way you want to look) is that, overclock done through a Tool like Setfsb is not permanent and upon reboot you will need to apply it again.

LOLZ If ur thinking its a pure software OC on the Asus P8Z68 V-Pro MB then i think ur wrong it is a chip for OC i.e TPU combined with AI Suite II utility gives u the overclock same feature in MSI mb's is called OCGenie
The TPU chip run tests on processor/MB/Ram and automatically applies the best stable voltages & frequencies

You know there are manual option to put settings in AI Suite II and MSI control center??? I dont see LionKing has mentioned anywhere that he is using Auto OC option anywhere.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ yes i know that there r both auto option & manual option BTW i haven't quoted Lionking post read properly
also nobody told that oc via sw is harmful for the cpu its the os/data/files which may get corrupted for the unstablity as thetechfreak had mentioned resulting to reformat the os

thebanik

Broken In
^^ yes i know that there r both auto option & manual option BTW i haven't quoted Lionking post read properly
also nobody told that oc via sw is harmful for the cpu its the os/data/files which may get corrupted for the unstablity as thetechfreak had mentioned resulting to reformat the os

Ah yes....sorry misread it....He did mention that he used auto oc....:oops:

After 100's of time of overclocking through windows, have not ever botched a OS because of corrupted files due to bad overclocking settings.....Could have happened to a few but then a few would have bad OS even after a simple power failure......

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
no problem mate anyways tell me frankly how many time did u personally used software for OC

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
it is a bad idea to OC from the OS unless there is an interface chip is the mobo. CPU OCs may not be as stable and/or require higher volts, more relaxed memory timings than BIOS based OCing.

As a rule of thumb, remember always that if your mobo doesn't allow you to tweak frequencies and voltages via BIOS, it is a bad idea to OC via software, because the mobo isn't designed to handle the added stress.

Top Bottom