Software for cloning windows installations

quicky008

Technomancer
I want to replace my ageing 80GB HDD with a new 1 TB drive.However i dont wish to install windows from scratch on my new HDD-instead I'd like to make an exact copy of the existing win 7 installation on my 80 GB drive and transfer it to my new HDD so that it starts working right away-I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how it can be done,is any software available which can be used for this purpose?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
thanks a lot for your advice,however i could not find a free version of the aforementioned software-only 30 day trial versions are available at their website.Can seagate DiscWizard utility be used for cloning the hdd partition containing windows?

Last edited:

BhargavJ

In the zone
I use DriveImageXML. Its free, and it works; it can make a copy of the used space on your drive as well as the entire disk, along with the free space.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I use DriveImageXML. Its free, and it works; it can make a copy of the used space on your drive as well as the entire disk, along with the free space.
I wanted to use it too,but I came across some reports on various websites that driveimagexml can't create bootable clones of windows partitions-do u know whether such rumours are true or not?

It'd be very useful if you could also post a step by step guide on using drive image XML for cloning windows partitions.

Last edited:

jaykant

Broken In
Valuable information is provided about cloning windows installations though it is not enough for me. i did not use it practically but want to know some more about it

BhargavJ

In the zone
How many partitions do you have on the 80 GB disk? And have you connected the 1 TB disk to the computer?

I have XP installed in C Drive. I boot into XP itself, run DriveImageXML, and make a ghost image of C Drive. When I want to restore the image to C Drive, I boot into Win 7 (installed in another partition) and restore the C Drive image.

What you can do is this: Boot into your Win 7. Open DriveImageXML, and click backup. I'd add pics but the Printscreen button on my laptop doesn't take snapshots of the screen. I think you'll have to run DriveImageXML as Administrator to continue. Run it as Admin, click backup, select the partition you want to backup. Click next; it will ask you where you want to save the partition image.

If your entire 80 GB disk is one partition, you'll have to save it in the new 1 TB disk. I don't think it'll allow you to save an image of the 80 GB disk onto itself, because it locks the disk when it is making a ghost image. So first make an 80 GB partition on the 1 TB disk, the first partition. Lets say you have made two partitions on the 1 TB disk, one is an 80 GB partition for Win7, and the other is D drive, for data. In DriveImageXML, save the ghost copy to the D drive of the 1 TB disk. After it has finished, click Restore, select the 80 GB partition on the 1 TB disk, and select the image file from the D Drive of the 1 TB disk. Wait for the process to complete. Now you have two Win7s, one on the 80 GB disk, and another on the 1 TB disk!

So: connect both hard disks; make a copy of the 80 GB disk to a partition of the 1 TB disk. Then restore the image to the first partition (C drive) of the 1 TB disk.

When you are saving the ghost image, it'll give you a couple of options: one is Raw mode - it means DriveImageXML will make a sector to sector backup, including the free space, and make an exact copy of the partition selected. You don't need that, you just need the data of Win7, so don't select Raw mode. You can choose whether to split large files, it is selected by default and is better kept that way. Choose the kind of compression you want, I keep "Good", it is slow but it saves disk space. No need to do anything with the "Hot Imaging Strategy" section. And yes, if you have a lot of personal data on the partition you want to backup, like images and stuff, it is better to shift that to the 1 TB one first, to the second partition. This will speed up the backup process as there will be less data to backup, and the image file will also be smaller.

In the end, you can use EasyBCD to edit the boot entries, and add an entry for the Win7 of the 1 TB disk.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks a lot for posting such a comprehensive guide-i have a few questions about this process:

The primary partition of my 80 gb HDD that contains win 7 is around 24 GB in size-can i restore the image of this partition to another partition of my 1 tb HDD that is larger than 24 gb in size(say around 100 GB)?

Will i be able to boot into windows directly from my 1 tb hdd after the cloned image has been restored to one of its partitions?

BhargavJ

In the zone
You can make a ghost image of a partition and then restore it to another partition that is at least the same size or larger. For example, if the Win 7 partition on your 80 GB HDD is 24 GB, you can restore that image to another partition that is at least 24 GB, or larger, you can't restore it to 15 or 20 GB partition. I think making the backup will take around half an hour or so. Depends on the system as well as the compression rate.

I don't think you'll face any problems booting from the restored image on the 1 TB HDD's partition. If the hardware changes, there'll be problems. But if its the same computer, it should be alright. I've earlier made an image of C Drive, and then restored it to my 1 TB HDD's partition, which was another drive, and I was able to boot from it.

See what happens. If there's a further doubt, you can always ask!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks a lot for your advice,however i could not find a free version of the aforementioned software-only 30 day trial versions are available at their website.Can seagate DiscWizard utility be used for cloning the hdd partition containing windows?
don't take any offence but this is really irritating.it is not some obscure 10 years old software but one of the most recommended & known free backup software.i seriously doubt that a person who can post in thinkdigit forum failed to find it on net.just typing "macrium reflect free" in google would have been enough.
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
don't take any offence but this is really irritating.it is not some obscure 10 years old software but one of the most recommended & known free backup software.i seriously doubt that a person who can post in thinkdigit forum failed to find it on net.just typing "macrium reflect free" in google would have been enough.
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

As a matter of fact,i did perform a google search for macrium reflect free edition when i couldn't find it at their official website and discovered that it was available at download.cnet.com-I've already downloaded and installed it but forgot to mention that here.Although i haven't begun using it yet,I'm hopeful that it will work just fine-thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom