So, what is the linux Distro you are currently using and why?

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Here's mine:
I am currently using POPOS. The things I like about it:
1. Very stable (since its ubuntu based, which is turn is debian based, so maybe this is to be expected)
2. Gnome as the default DE: I love Gnome, so its quite cool that POP OS integrates well with Gnome. Even their custom theme is gorgeous.
3.Best out of the box power management for laptops: I didn't knew it before but POPOS provides quick and easy power controls when booted on a laptop, which I will go so far as to say is better than Window's(in terms of intuitiveness)
1632150990467.png

4. Good multimonitor support: POPOS is the only OS that supported my weird dual monitor setup(a lappy and a old 1366*786 display) out of the box. Fedora(which I really wanted to install) gave flickering and buggyness on the second monitor(wrong refresh rate set I presume, though there's no way I could change it, at least in the UI, for my ancient monitor).
5. Good out of the box support: It installs proprietary NVIDIA drivers by default. It even has a useful extention called "Pop shell" preinstalled, which is basically like i3WM for Gnome. I basically had to change no setting anywhere to make it behave.

What I despise about it:
1. Outdated and sometimes unavilable software: Its based on ubuntu, ain't no AUR here my friend. Can't live without flatpak and external repos in this land.
2.Pesky things: POP OS's choice to use their own dock instead of default Gnome, and setting performance profile to balanced everytime I reboot(both things can thankfully be manually changed). There's also no separate scaling for 2 different display, a thing I haven't been able to fix till now.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Manjaro because I like Arch and more specifically I love the AUR. I actually like it so much that I cannot think of migrating to another non-Arch based distro.

Plus Manjaro has some good quality of life features such as some custom utilities that allow installing drivers and kernels with one click.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
i'm on Fedora ,i dont know why i'm here.so far no problems ,regular updates, .btw what is AUR? and why is arch considered superior?

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

btw what is AUR
AUR is Arch user repository. In simple terms it is like a way to get lastest software for the system. Like all latest software, it might not be fully tested and could be buggy. Most, if not all, of the software are on AUR. Like on fedora remember how you how to add RPM fusion and so many damn repositories(or use flatpak)?. With the power of AUR you just don't have that problem. In a little more technical term, AUR allows you to compile software based on instructions from its userbase (Correct me if I am wrong.)
Effectively, AUR enables you to install virtually every package on your system.
(Read: What is AUR? How to use AUR in Arch and Manjaro Linux?)

why is arch considered superior?
Well, arch is not "superior". Even linux ain't superior in every context per se. Its just arch suites someone's needs better. For me, Arch has-:
a) AUR.
b) Archwiki: Best documentation in comparison to any distro. Period.
These two are wonderful, wonderful resources.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Manjaro because I like Arch and more specifically I love the AUR. I actually like it so much that I cannot think of migrating to another non-Arch based distro.

Plus Manjaro has some good quality of life features such as some custom utilities that allow installing drivers and kernels with one click.
Agreed, not having AUR on POPOS was a major PITA. I had to learn to live with adding external repos and flatpak instead :')

I also found out that help for manjaro was readily available online. Only linux distro that had better support would be Ubuntu.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Flatpak is not bad, it runs applications in their own sandbox which includes their own dependencies. So flatpak applications are guaranteed to not break with future updates. I use flatpak as well on Manjaro.

Some distros like Elementary are moving to purely flatpak based system IIRC.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
AUR is Arch user repository. In simple terms it is like a way to get lastest software for the system. Like all latest software, it might not be fully tested and could be buggy. Most, if not all, of the software are on AUR. Like on fedora remember how you how to add RPM fusion and so many damn repositories(or use flatpak)?. With the power of AUR you just don't have that problem. In a little more technical term, AUR allows you to compile software based on instructions from its userbase (Correct me if I am wrong.)
Effectively, AUR enables you to install virtually every package on your system.
(Read: What is AUR? How to use AUR in Arch and Manjaro Linux?)

Well, arch is not "superior". Even linux ain't superior in every context per se. Its just arch suites someone's needs better. For me, Arch has-:
a) AUR.
b) Archwiki: Best documentation in comparison to any distro. Period.
These two are wonderful, wonderful resources.
so its gets u out of the hassle to add more and more repos. correct me if i'm wrong
i have one for free and one for non free ,then another for brave. i guess almost all other software i have fall into either free or non free repository i installed

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Effectively, AUR enables you to install virtually every package on your system

Correct me if I am wrong, apt on ubuntu can also do that. You dont need to add repos for every software. The software center on flavours of ubuntu hosts great set of them. You can use deb file instead if you dont want to open terminal. You can use FlatPak. you can also compile the packages in ubuntu as per your needs.

Ubuntu derivatives has too got good support, like Ubuntu's own forum or Stackoverflow. There is also help available on various blogs even for simplest of things. So ubuntu doesnt have any support missing on it. If you face problem on any of the distros which are ubuntu derived, then you can easily find help as most problems are common. If it is some specific issue, then you can ask in forum too.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Correct me if I am wrong, apt on ubuntu can also do that. You dont need to add repos for every software. The software center on flavours of ubuntu hosts great set of them. You can use deb file instead if you dont want to open terminal. You can use FlatPak. you can also compile the packages in ubuntu as per your needs.
AUR makes the process very streamlined. You just have to do
Code:
pacman build packagename.
You can't beat that.
You can use FlatPak

When I am on Ubuntu I prefer using Snaps. Yeah, there are moral concerns, but its the default and is well integrated, so I decide to bite the bullet. Snap packages work flawlessly too, the exception being chromium. Chromium from snap was buggy as hell(freezing and crashing).
you can also compile the packages in ubuntu as per your needs.
You can't expect anyone except Gentoo users to do that, can you? XP
Ubuntu derivatives has too got good support, like Ubuntu's own forum or Stackoverflow. There is also help available on various blogs even for simplest of things. So ubuntu doesnt have any support missing on it. If you face problem on any of the distros which are ubuntu derived, then you can easily find help as most problems are common. If it is some specific issue, then you can ask in forum too.
Well, that's what I said didn't I? Ubuntu(and concequently its derivatives) got slightly better support than Manjaro.

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
You mean u used windows before but after windows got buggy and shitty, u started using linux?
lol i misposted in a different thread. but you are kind of right, my ultra light cheap laptop did not come with windows, and it had lower specs, so i installed linux mint on it.

it serves well, but it was quite a whole ago, and that version reached eol. need to upgrade.

Top Bottom