SMPS for Pentium III 800 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

casual_gamer

In the zone
So my 9 year old 235w mercury smps goes dead. The hardware dealer says putting a 450w smps might burn the motherboard and components. I could not find less than 450w smps anywhere.
So, i buy a second hand Kobian 235w, this worked for the first time. during the next boot started making loud noise...i remembered the seller had told me no return.
So i go and buy another used smps, this time a mercury 250w. Now, whenever i play a mp4 movie, it hangs after sometime. plays avi files fine.

I have a p3 cpu, 2hdd's, 1dvd-rw, 1cd-rw, geforce4mx, tvtuner, 56k modem, floppy drive

My original smps output was: 3.3v-10a, 5v-19a, 12v-8a
The 2nd hand mercury smps output: 3.3v-16a, 5v-25a, 12v-9a. Eventhough all the values are greater, it hangs.

So, my question is can i use the latest smps in the market for my system without any problem? and what's wrong with the 2nd hand mercury smps?

Krow

Crowman
^That's overkill by a long shot. Get Gigabyte 460W Superb @ 2.2k. VX450W is for 4k and not needed for that config, but will be a bit more future proof.

Alternatively you may even look for a CM extreme power 400W SMPS which should be cheaper.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I could not find less than 450w smps anywhere.
I have a sahara 250W smps. See if can find one. It may not come without a cabinet though.

Now, whenever i play a mp4 movie, it hangs after sometime.
This doesn't sound like an smps problem. Have you tried multiple media players to play mp4 files? Try using some other media player like smplayer or vlcplayer to play mp4 files

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^That's overkill by a long shot. Get Gigabyte 460W Superb @ 2.2k. VX450W is for 4k and not needed for that config, but will be a bit more future proof.

Alternatively you may even look for a CM extreme power 400W SMPS which should be cheaper.

Okay revised...

Get a 450W SMPS..whichever..you are comfortable with.
:)

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
This doesn't sound like an smps problem. Have you tried multiple media players to play mp4 files? Try using some other media player like smplayer or vlcplayer to play mp4 files
there are signs suggesting an smps problem like monitor going blank for half a second, slowly everyday i am finding new signs.

For a new one, i am looking at cheaper options. How about, Odyssey 450w or Zebronics 450w? is it safe to use these with my 10 year old pc? The hardware vendor told me that a higher watt psu might burn the motherboard/components, is this true? Already i have wasted Rs.500 on second hand smps's due to this advice.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
there are signs suggesting an smps problem like monitor going blank for half a second, slowly everyday i am finding new signs.

For a new one, i am looking at cheaper options. How about, Odyssey 450w or Zebronics 450w? is it safe to use these with my 10 year old pc? The hardware vendor told me that a higher watt psu might burn the motherboard/components, is this true? Already i have wasted Rs.500 on second hand smps's due to this advice.

The higher watt SMPS burning your system...that is a big pile of crap. He is totally BSing you. No ways, will it burn out a 'thing' on your system. It should be connected correct. That is about it.

Get a decent brand PSU.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Modern SMPS are all ATX power supplies, ain't it? And if i remember, PIII's use different type of PSU's! Although am not sure about this! Get a Zebby for this! It would work fine with PIII's. Why dont you get an upgrade done on that dinosour??? :p:p

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
thanks for the replies.

yeah mine is ATX 20 pin.

I found an interesting discussion in *www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118057 thread. I quote below
"There has been a change of spec on newer PSU's as newer motherboards now regulate the 12Volt supply to power the CPU where as older mobos for PIII's used the 5Volt supply to power the CPU. So what has hapened is that older PSU's could supply more current (AMPS) to the 5Volt rail, and because they don't need use it the newer PSU's have a lower spec output current on the 5Volt supply."

still a little confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom