Smartphone or PC

laxsubveda

Right off the assembly line
Hi, I am Vedagiri, new member of Think digit. I joined this website after reading some awesome posts such as Buying advice, Mobile reference guide to say a few.

I hope my question will be sincerely answered.

Basically, we have come across a situation where we have high end smartphones, laptops and PCs aiming at similar type of users. Even though PC, Laptops can support lot of memory and devices when compared to smartphones, they are main reason why PC and Laptop sales are decreasing.

My question is that whether an high end smartphone like SGsIII, HTC One X, Iphone 4s etc., can be a decent alternative to PC or Laptop.

In my case, I have PC of 160 GB storage of which 122 GB of memory is being unsued(Using PC for atleast 8 years) . I dont watch movies and play limited games. I use PC to store a lot of Statistics, Information related documents found on websites. I also browse a lot. Since, I am using only less amount of memory on PCs, I am thinking on to move to a Smartphone.

When it comes to health issues ( eye related issues, ergonomism), can smartphones be good alternatives to PCs?

Also can high end smartphones act as future proof devices. Will they support a wide range of documents, images, song files as supported on PC?

When it comes to browsing, can smartphones provide nice experience as being browsed on PCs.

Can Smartphones support basic Softwares like MS office, adobe photoshop as supported by PCs?

How about security? Can i get a good security in Smartphones as compared to PCs.

So, please tell me , in my case, whether Buying high end smartphone is good alternative to PC.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Performance wise PC>>>>Phone any day.

But its upto your need.

Smartphones and PC serve quite different purpose.Form factor being the most important thing.

BTW we come across confusions b/w phones or tablet,tablets or Netbook,netbook or Notebook,and Notebook or PC.Yours is a direct link b/w First and Last in this chain!.Strange.

But your answer is quite clear.
Think of your requirements and decide accordingly.Dont end up with cases like these. www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-ta...ointed-its-just-not-great-indian-context.html

Last edited:

noob

Cyborg Agent
My question is that whether an high end smartphone like SGsIII, HTC One X, Iphone 4s etc., can be a decent alternative to PC or Laptop.

Wrong question. A phone CANT be a replacement for PC. You need both.
Instead we can have tablet as replacement to PC (but not yet)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
tablet/laptop, mobile and pc can't be related even if they have kind of similar internals. i run my pc for 18hrs per day. if i do the same with a laptop, it'll overheat and may start showing problems. well for smartphone, it'll simply die in a few months. And a 1Ghz dual core processor of pc/netbook will beat the hell out of 1.5Ghz dual core or 1.2Ghz quad for mobile.

also its not about space. typing on a mobile (even with a H/W keypad) is PITA. yes basic software are there and supported but those are meant to be usedlike you have to edit a doc or a photo on the move. Not more than that.

For security you can use cloud based storage offered by few softwares so all docs & photos are stored online and even if mobile gets stolen your work is safe.

Top Bottom