Sleep or hibernate results in shut down | Windows 10 laptop

Last month I upgraded my laptop's OS from Windows 8.1 to 10. Everything was running smoothly. Then last week when I was trying to start up my laptop, an error came up stating that it couldn't boot (unfortunately I cannot recall the exact error message). Options such as 'Startup Repair' didn't help; so I had to reset my laptop (to Windows 10).

Since then I haven't been able to use the 'hibernate' or 'sleep' options in my laptop. If I use any of those two, my laptop would shut down instead. Closing the lid results in my laptop going to sleep. I checked the power options; which are set to 'do nothing' on closing lid. I googled the issue but it didn't help much. Can anyone please tell me what is going on and how to fix this?

Last edited:
OP
gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

AFOL
There isn't any particular power management driver for my laptop model - Asus X550JK.

By the way, I noticed something this morning.

If I press the power button on my laptop, it goes to sleep (as set by me in the power options).
I can also wake it up by pressing any key on the keyboard, as expected.

However instead of just waking up, the laptop boots. So all my previously opened apps are now closed.

How do I rectify this?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn't any particular power management driver for my laptop model - Asus X550JK.

By the way, I noticed something this morning.

If I press the power button on my laptop, it goes to sleep (as set by me in the power options).
I can also wake it up by pressing any key on the keyboard, as expected.

However instead of just waking up, the laptop boots. So all my previously opened apps are now closed.

How do I rectify this?

So you are on windows 8.1 now ? Check these out :
Windows 8.1 is rebooting when waking from sleep mode - Microsoft Community

Windows 10 updated now HP Pavilion won't wake up from sleep - HP Support Forum - 5176160

BTW, check your HDD for bad sectors .. use crystal disk info and post a screenshot here. Also reinstall gpu driver.

OP
gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

AFOL
So you are on windows 8.1 now ? Check these out :
Windows 8.1 is rebooting when waking from sleep mode - Microsoft Community

Windows 10 updated now HP Pavilion won't wake up from sleep - HP Support Forum - 5176160

BTW, check your HDD for bad sectors .. use crystal disk info and post a screenshot here. Also reinstall gpu driver.

No, I'm on Windows 10.
I'll go through the steps you mentioned and then post the results here.

OP
gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

AFOL
I know this is very very late, but here are the results. Please let me know if something seems to be the issue.

Btw, the hibernate option is now working correctly. 'Sleep', however, continues to shut my laptop down.

cdi_hdd.jpg

Top Bottom