slave / master / problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Hi guys ..

i bought a system...

with sata 320 gb hd.. and connected to a sata 1 pin on the mobo

dvd writer is been connected to primary ide on mobo..

now i have got two probs..

1.) my 320 hd is not showing as primary master .. instead its showing me a third slave...!!! the dvd drive is the old one which i took from the prev system...it has some jumper setting which i dont know ..(i am not well versed with these jumper setting ..

2.)i have my old ide hard disk .. which i want to transfer files to my new hdd .. so when i connect it .. it start to boot from the older hdd , but then crashes saying there may be drive installed improperly .. or added new driver which is causing the probelm..

my mobo is p5gc-mx 1333 asus..

please help..
and fast ..

anand1

In the zone
your system will boot from the drive whom you will make the master. so make those device as a master from which you want to start the system and for copying the old data make the old one as the slave.

Now for making the one as a slave and the other as a master you can change the jumper settings on the HDD.

If you carefully read the outer case of the HDD you can find that how to make the HDD as a Master or Slave by removing a suitable jumper.
Remove the one for master and slave. and try out your work.

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
No sata doesnt have any jumper...
More over i removed everything and installed only the sata drive..still it shows as slave.that too third slave.please help guys

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
if you connect a sata HD with an IDE one, the IDE will be the default. and there will be series of BSODs :eek:

Since you have the CD/DVD drive as the primary IDE master.
Set the jumper serttings of the HDD to Slave. and connect it as primary slave under the DVD drive.

Now, you want to boot from the sata one.

As your mobo is of Asus, Goto to the BIOS, Open the "boot Priority" list.
Your old harddisk will be on the top.
Its name will be (SGHxxx.. for samsung, WDxxx.... for western digital and Sxxx... for seagate).

Select your sata hard disk from it. Now on the numeric keypad, press "+" button or the arrow keys. This will bring it to the top of the list.

Save and exit. Your system will boot from the sata one and the old one would appear as slave.

If your mobo is of Intel, then goto advanced features, and turn of "advanced boot mode" and proceed as above.

remember, sata and older ones won't work together that easily, until you make them to.:eek:

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Lucky_star said:
if you connect a sata HD with an IDE one, the IDE will be the default. and there will be series of BSODs :eek:

Since you have the CD/DVD drive as the primary IDE master.
Set the jumper serttings of the HDD to Slave. and connect it as primary slave under the DVD drive.

Now, you want to boot from the sata one.

As your mobo is of Asus, Goto to the BIOS, Open the "boot Priority" list.
Your old harddisk will be on the top.
Its name will be (SGHxxx.. for samsung, WDxxx.... for western digital and Sxxx... for seagate).

Select your sata hard disk from it. Now on the numeric keypad, press "+" button or the arrow keys. This will bring it to the top of the list.

Save and exit. Your system will boot from the sata one and the old one would appear as slave.

If your mobo is of Intel, then goto advanced features, and turn of "advanced boot mode" and proceed as above.

remember, sata and older ones won't work together that easily, until you make them to.:eek:

how do i make my sata hdd as master ??
i still cant see any jumper setting there ???
please can anyone help me with some photo please ..still stuck..

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
first tell which brand is your old HD?
In SATA, there is no such master and slave configuration. only u need to set the boot priority.

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
here is the detail of he old hd

seagate model ST340015A

it has a jumper set in the "enable cable select mode"
it has a picture denoting the jumper setting...
anotherthing is i have only one jumper pin..

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Only one jumper pin is necessary.
Check this pic from Seagate website:
*www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/u5_family_1.gif
For setting slave, remove all the jumper pins.

Now tell which all drives you want to use, and how do you want to configure them.
Do you got an CD/DVD drive in your present system?

Give the complete info, then I will tell how to set them right.

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
thnks for the pic man...
really thnks ..

ya i have a lg dvd writer.. i cant give the exact detail about it ..
it too has got a jumper .. i saw it ..

ok now i want to set the SATA ( my present drive ) to be my primary hd ,
and i just want to tranfer few GB`s from the old HD (seagate) to the new one ..
and also want to put the drive (dvd ) also... butthat can wait after the transfer also ..

please do help man...

when i connected with nothing ( ie no jumper tthe old hd) .. it booted from the old HD instead of the new one ..and it showed BSOD

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Ok,

I am assuming two things:

1: You want to connect the HD as a master drive.

Here you have got two methods:
Connecting as primary master:
If you have the ribbon cable that came with the old HD, connect it into another spare IDE port(generally the blue one) on the motherboard. And set the jumper pin as "Master or Single Drive" You will still be having the DVD drive connected to another IDE port with another cable.

Removing the DVD drive and connecting the HD in that place.
Here also the jumper will be set to "Master or Single Drive". But you should use the cable that came with the old HD and not the DVD writer's cable.
If both the cable look the same, then no problem.

2: You want to use it as a slave under the lg dvd writer.

Remove all the jumper pins on the old HD to set it as slave, and connect it under the DVD writer like this:
*img240.imageshack.us/img240/424/image1pe3.jpg

Now comes the important part which is common to both the above steps:

Start the computer, press del key and goto BIOS. From the Boot devices, set your sata disk as the primary boot disk.
I mean, set the boot device priority in this order:
SATA HD
OLD HD
DVD Writer

Until, you change the bios settings, your system won't boot in to the SATA HD. It will take the old HD as the primary boot device and there will be BSODs.

As you want only to transfer some data, then its better to go with the first method.:)

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ya it shows the boot sequence and all..

but inthe intial test itself it says there is no master connected...

my mobo contain only one PRimary ide port.(thats wht written on the mobo)

thinker

Think Well Before You Do
if u wanna transfer ur data in the old hd to the new one u have to make the old hd as the slave
to do so instructions are printed on the hd itself
just follow the instructions
but be sure to make a master for sure

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Solved the problem.
Now my question is will there be a problem in running the main hard disk as third slave?mine is sata

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
How did you make it work?

Since, the main HD is sata, it will be mentioned as third slave in Asus boards.

I think, there won't be any problem, because, the sata drives are itself independent.

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
I didnt fix the cable properly first.then i called upon service person and he did the jumper work..
Now still the main new hard disk shows ar third slave.will it affect my performance.
Thanks for all the replies and support man.
Lucky star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom