Skylake or Haswell?

ComputerUser

Journeyman
I will be upgrading my old rig soon and I am confused as to whether I should choose Skylake or not. I want to future-proof it but it seems a little costly, not to mention the availability of the parts. My budget is 25000-30000 and I will be changing only the core stuff so I made two configs -

Skylake config

CPU : Core i3 6100
MOBO : Asus H170 Pro
RAM : 4GB DDR4 Kingston or Gskill
Cabinet : Antec X1-T
PSU : Antec VP450

Approx. total : 29000

Haswell config

CPU : Core i3 4170
MOBO : Asus H97 Pro
RAM : Gskill Aegis DDR3 4x2

Approx. total : 26000

I could not find the i3-6100 and 4GB DDR4 modules online but I am hoping to buy from Lamington Road and are available there. Can anyone confirm the possibility? Will they be within 9000 and 4000 respectively?

Also I would like to know if any part can be improved.

DK_WD

WD Official
I will be upgrading my old rig soon and I am confused as to whether I should choose Skylake or not. I want to future-proof it but it seems a little costly, not to mention the availability of the parts. My budget is 25000-30000 and I will be changing only the core stuff so I made two configs -

Skylake config

CPU : Core i3 6100
MOBO : Asus H170 Pro
RAM : 4GB DDR4 Kingston or Gskill

Approx. total : 29000

Haswell config

CPU : Core i3 4170
MOBO : Asus H97 Pro
RAM : Gskill Aegis DDR3 4x2

Approx. total : 26000

I could not find the i3-6100 and 4GB DDR4 modules online but I am hoping to buy from Lamington Road and are available there. Can anyone confirm the possibility? Will they be within 9000 and 4000 respectively?

Also I would like to know if any part can be improved.

Hi [MENTION=25181]ComputerUser[/MENTION],

In my thought, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to gain the upper limit velocity as per game or usage demands.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO.

Just a suggestion, based on your budget; the normal CPU like Intel i3 k series and MOBO with Z97 chipset overclocked will fulfill your requirements.

Hope it helps.

OP
ComputerUser

ComputerUser

Journeyman
Hi @ComputerUser ,

In my thought, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to gain the upper limit velocity as per game or usage demands.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO.

Just a suggestion, based on your budget; the normal CPU like Intel i3 k series and MOBO with Z97 chipset overclocked will fulfill your requirements.

Hope it helps.

I don't intend to overclock and I will add a graphic card probably next year so the system is only for casual gaming and stuff. I want to go with the Skylake config but i am not sure if the CPU and RAM are available.

DK_WD

WD Official
I don't intend to overclock and I will add a graphic card probably next year so the system is only for casual gaming and stuff. I want to go with the Skylake config but i am not sure if the CPU and RAM are available.

Hi [MENTION=25181]ComputerUser[/MENTION],

In my opinion, for most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to increase the maximum speed as per application requirements. If the product is not available in your place, then I'd suggest you to go with the Intel higher series like i5 and i7 with 4th or 5th generation CPUs.

OP
ComputerUser

ComputerUser

Journeyman
Why don't you buy the i5 4440,its powerful than the i3s,its just my option

The i3 4170 is newer, cheaper and fulfills my requirements.

Hi @ComputerUser ,

In my opinion, for most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to increase the maximum speed as per application requirements. If the product is not available in your place, then I'd suggest you to go with the Intel higher series like i5 and i7 with 4th or 5th generation CPUs.

The 6th gen i5 is available but is a little costly. Looks like I have to go with 4th gen.

Knockout

Broken In
I think the difference between the 6th gen and 4th gen is only marginal and the 6th gen doesn't come with a cooler correct me if I am wrong.

OP
ComputerUser

ComputerUser

Journeyman
Only the K-series don't come with a cooler. And even though the performance difference is marginal, 6th gen is future-proof.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Only the K-series don't come with a cooler. And even though the performance difference is marginal, 6th gen is future-proof.

Looking at intel past records. I don't think that anything after lga775 could ever be termed as future proof. The fact is that 6th generation is costly due to the fact that it even need costlier ram and motherboard along with a costlier processor that all doesn't add any new feature(except trivial things for enthusiast) or speed as you would expect.

So, even a h97 or z97 motherboard with 4th gen cpu is preety much future proof in itself. There isn't a feature you would be missing with those things vis a vis the newer motherboard or processor while saving some decent money for a better GPU perhaps.

So, if you have money then surely buy the very latest at premium. But if you want everything that the 6th generation offers along with being future proof rather then going into trivial things. Then invest in 4th generation cpu. There is absolutely nothing that you would loose and you are going to be future proof as well.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Use a processor and mobo combo which you can overclock later. I am still on 2500k or past 4-5 years.

Hrishi

Your preference should be in this order.
Number of cores >>> Core clock frequency > Generation upgrade.

Top Bottom