Wow that's what you understood. I mentioned graphics to help you understand the production cost of the games, the game play is different and its one of the best grand strategy games . Production of the CK2 does not cost as much as Simcity or BF3. Why would they sell a product that costs more for the same price as the one that costs less.
and regarding the issues please check the Gettysburg review.. also please check the following link...

Paradox’s Plan To Finally Squash Its Bug Problem | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I mentioned the bugs only to make you understand the amount of money put into the games production. FYI QA costs a lot.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow that's what you understood. I mentioned graphics to help you understand the production cost of the games, the game play is different and its one of the best grand strategy games . Production of the CK2 does not cost as much as Simcity or BF3. Why would they sell a product that costs more for the same price as the one that costs less.
and regarding the issues please check the Gettysburg review.. also please check the following link...

Paradox’s Plan To Finally Squash Its Bug Problem | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I mentioned the bugs only to make you understand the amount of money put into the games production. FYI QA costs a lot.

Gettysburg is just one game, and I am aware of the issues. I haven't found any problem with Magicka or CKII or Cities in Motion though.

bippukt

In the zone
You are comparing CK II to EA games like sim city and BF3 ?!!... the game has some of the shitty graphics and though game play is good its not much different from previous Crusader game. Do you have any idea how much production of a AAA games costs.. even a DLC like end game cost almost a full game produced by paradox.
I have played enough paradox interactive games that I can assure you that their game quality is **** and worst in the whole industry... it is a well known fact that they do not put enough effort or money on QA. Magika and king arthur 2 were ****, some bugs made them almost unplayable. I even remember their cheif or some one apologizing for the bugs in their games.
Even though there are bugs in all games they are not as game breaking as the one in Magika or Gettysurg (boy you need to see the reviews of the game, search in you tube)...
I am not saying EA is great.. It sucks to see in every forum they keep talking about it as if its the o nly company thats taking the game industry down.

YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT PRODUCING GAMES LIKE BF3, SIMCITY AND RECENT NFS COST A LOT OF MONEY... HOW DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO OFFER IT AT SAME PRICE AS A LOW PRODUCTION VALUE GAMES OF PARADOX..... DO YOU EXPECT A IPHONE 5 TO BE THE SAME COST AS A MICROMAX CANVAS HD

I am very much aware of the cost difference. I can continue this argument, but there is really no point. I hope the problems with Simcity are fixed soon - if not, it could spell an end to this great series.

I also hope that game publishers learn something from this. Firstly, don't keep the single player parts of the games like Simcity hostage to some server. But if you choose to use this online DRM thing, then at least make sure that you invest enough in the required infrastructure to ensure that people get to play the game that they paid for. If not, then be prepared to be crucified by the gaming community.

Thanks for the information. Wasn't aware of that. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

I am happy to clarify. It is quite an unusual situation that it requires Steam but isn't bound by its DRM. I don't think I know of many such games :)

EDIT: Lol, you have to see this, it is absolutely hilarious:

*www.jonathancresswell.co.uk/2013/03/review-simcity/

Last edited:
Gettysburg is just one game, and I am aware of the issues. I haven't found any problem with Magicka or CKII or Cities in Motion though.

Thank you for helping me make my point... see even when a Senior producer of Paradox himself has agreed to the bug issues(Which is a big thing in itself since no company would like to do that), in an article by probably the most respected game journalists in the industry; you still dont want to accept the flaws of Paradox. Since people always like to root for so called underdogs and want to gang up against the Big Evil; you would raise hell if EA had done the same mistake. (BTW do you know Paradox makes more money than EA). Also added to the fact that when some one is thrashing a person the rest want to join the bandwagon and trash along.
@ bippukt no buddy you don't, why for the matter people working as Devs and testers in the gaming industry dont know too. The cost of marketing only for EA for a game like Simcity is higher than the cost of production of 2-3 games Paradox develops. And before you try to troll me regarding my source. I have been working in the game industry for past 6 years... Gameloft, EA and now Zynga and being a producer I know some things.
You dont have to believe me just ask any of your friends working in the companies or the newly set-up Disney.
I agree you have the right to believe what ever you want but I was only commenting at the Fervor with which people say "EA sucks" when anything goes wrong.
I was mentioning the points only coz I see a lot of posts conveying the view that EA is filling the coffers by overpricing the games; but the fact is that EA is loosing money (Which made them to cut-off jobs, mine included)when you compare the production value and cost to make the game to the price of the game and the amount of loss EA faces with pirating.
That is the reason Companies started using DRM, big AAA titles cant take of loss due to piracy, especially when they are single player games. In India and most of the world if a game is worth only for single player, people simply resort to pirated copies; so the companies are adding multi-player option and pushing DRM.
This time they tried something different in DRM and failed and just like when the DRM caused issues to Ubisoft and Ubisoft removed the DRM from their games; I think EA will not use the DRM in near future.
They thought since Diablo 3 sold so well with the always on DRM, they could implement it too.
Churning out so many game series, most of them yearly installments is not an easy tasks. Things tend to go wrong at some point.

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
SimCity fans will be happy to know that the bulk of server problems plaguing the launch of the highly anticipated game are almost completely solved. In a Sunday update regarding the game's status, Maxis GM Lucy Bradshaw broke the much-welcomed news.
I'm happy to report that the core problem with getting in and having a great SimCity experience is almost behind us. Our players have been able to connect to their cities in the game for nearly 8 million hours of gameplay time and we've reduced game crashes by 92% from day one.

A combination of optimizing our server architecture and response times, deploying these enhancements on both a series of new and the original servers and issuing a few critical client updates has achieved getting virtually everyone into the game and, once in, having a great time building cities and sharing regions.

I had hoped to issue an 'All-Clear' tonight, but there are still some elements coming together. Tonight and tomorrow we'll be monitoring each server and gameplay metrics to ensure that the service remains strong and game is playing great. We need a few more days of data before we can assure you that the problem is completely solved and the game is running at 100 percent.

The good news is that tens of thousands of new players are streaming into the game every day and the confidence our fans have shown is truly humbling. I can�t begin to explain the way a development team feels when something you�re proud of is threatened at launch. Our biggest fear was that people who love this franchise would be scared off by bad reviews about the connectivity issues.

But you put your faith in us. You bought the game with the understanding that we�d quickly fix the server issues. For that support � that incredible commitment from our fans -- we are deeply grateful. As the general manager of Maxis, I want you to know that we cherish your faith in us, and the love you�ve shown for this franchise.

Thank you very much.

source:: GGmania.com

Electronic Arts' launch of the new SimCity game has been plagued by server issues, resulting in everything from features being taken offline to EA calling off some of its promotional efforts for the game. As compensation, the company will be offering a free downloadable PC game from EA's portfolio. Registered SimCity owners will be emailed on March 18th with instructions on how to obtain their game of choice.
Here's a quick update on the problems we were experiencing with SimCity � and a little something extra for people who bought the game.

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that we�re working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. It's working � the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So we're close to fixed, but not quite there. I'm hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

The good news is that SimCity is a solid hit in all major markets. The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game. But this SimCity is made to be played online, and if you can�t get a stable connection, you�re NOT having a good experience. So we�re not going to rest until we�ve fixed the remaining server issues.

And to get us back in your good graces, we�re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

I know that�s a little contrived � kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We�re hoping you won�t stay mad and that we�ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent.

Source:: GGmania.com

Reloaded

In the zone
Bought the game on 9th

Gameplay is good. Played it for 6hrs non stop :mrgreen: .

9/10 rating.

new servers added
*i.imgur.com/NMk12aM.jpg

BTW ea providing free game on march 18 :shock:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Yup.. EA is giving free game (donno what though) and will send out personal mails to people registered with them by mail on 18th.

Hope the game is of our chice.. and I will pick BF3 premium pack :p

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Fingers crossed
BBC News - Gamer hacks SimCity to run offline

Well I will buy the game if can surely, but online mode sucks- just shared this for info

hearthacker

Journeyman
I would like to buy this game but its unavailable at flipkart, game4u as well as the Origin Client. Is there any possible way to buy this game?

Thanks~

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
So how is the game? And what about the city size limits?

And today is 18th , what is the free game you guys got? @Reloaded, @rakesh_ic

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
To all guys buying the game, i suggest you all wait for an offer in which simcity becomes like 1k, you never know they might decrease price to increase sales + 2X2 map size is very small

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
^2x2 map size is too small that will be get over even if you play conservatively for two weeks
+1 on the size limit.. its small.. But alternatively.. you can take up and build a city on the rest of the plots on your overall map which is good.

I am still waiting on the mail from EA as promised. Lets see. will keep you all updated.

Reloaded

In the zone
Good news for people who bought the game :mrgreen: Blog Article

If u haven't purchased the game, there is still a chance to get a free game, last date is March 25, 2013 at 11:59pm PST.

Games available

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
MOHW (Standard Edition)
NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

Buy the game its really good. :p

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Good news for people who bought the game :mrgreen: Blog Article

If u haven't purchased the game, there is still a chance to get a free game, last date is March 25, 2013 at 11:59pm PST.

Games available

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
MOHW (Standard Edition)
NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

Buy the game its really good. :p
The only worth buy in the list (ofcourse the game that i dont have) is MOHW for me.

I am picking it. lets see if it has a good MP base.

bippukt

In the zone
Simcity is still not available on Origin. What is going on?

EDIT: It is out of stock on Flipkart and has disappeared from Game4u. Does someone know what the hell is EA doing? I feel as if it is a trick to avoid having to give out a free game to Indian gamers, who get the game at reduced price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom