Sify Broadband Fined For Unfair Trade Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biplav

In the zone
yea i saw the news in yesterday`s papers.... times of india..... atleast the brdband companies need to provide 256kbps connection now!

OP
Aberforth

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I had no choice in my area but to use Sify. When I started out, the first few days had my internet down after 10 pm and back after 11 am the next day. I complained to the local service partner and Sify and despite their repeated assurances no help so after about 10 days. I then sent a letter to Sify and service partner asking for a refund for all the charges or I would have to go to consumer forum. The next day, the service partner sends some goons to my house to threaten me, luckily my friends from DU had a greater reserve so they got trapped. It just shows how Sify left customers in the hand of mafia style goons.

OP
Aberforth

Aberforth

The Internationalist
You better do a little research before you settle on an ISP as it is not easy to switch ISP considering their high 'installation costs' if you are price conscious. Sify has good speed if it works as I use it now but when downtimes occur it can be long time of 3 days to a week before it is resolved. I had a good experience with Airtel broadband for two years (little downtimes if any; fast speed, sometimes even faster than my plan at night) in another locality but after shifting I was forced to use Sify as we have only two ISPs here, Sify and MTNL and comparing the two Sify turns out a bit better.

I have a good experience of ISPs in Delhi as I have tried Tata Indicom, MTNL, Airtel, Sify (currently using) and Hotwire. Airtel wins in my opinion in terms of pricing and speed (Unlimited 256 KBps costs 1050/- taxed added, for home plan here and I got even upto 300 - 450 Kbps occasionally, had 3 days downtime in 2 years because of storm). MTNL has the best speed but the plans are too pricey or limited. Sify is the choice only if you can't get first or can't afford second the downtimes and speed drops are pathetic due to overselling of connections and choking of networks. Tata Indicom and Hotwire lag far behind in service, speed and price.

We really need some laws for better services from broadband, they get around the speed rules by using the word 'upto', like 'Speeds upto XXX Kbps' which practically means 'we can always provide speeds below that and you cannot blame us for that'.

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
yeah me to feel that... with Broad band ISP would say speed up to 1MBPS.. and as its broadband they will make sure they dont go bellow 256kbps... but also the UPTO word gives them power to run at 512kbps... we cant complain as its UPTO

i think TRAI must stape here and should define a line for it.. meaning if its a 1MBPS connection should never go bellow 750kbps or like that...

OP
Aberforth

Aberforth

The Internationalist
saurav_cheeta said:
yeah me to feel that... with Broad band ISP would say speed up to 1MBPS.. and as its broadband they will make sure they dont go bellow 256kbps... but also the UPTO word gives them power to run at 512kbps... we cant complain as its UPTO

i think TRAI must stape here and should define a line for it.. meaning if its a 1MBPS connection should never go bellow 750kbps or like that...

750 KBps for a 1 MBps is way too poor, nothing less than 950 KBps is acceptable (unless exceptional circumstances). Broadband companies private and government, MTNL included fleece us poor customers because we don't have a choice. Reminds me of pre-liberalisation era.....or well, gas connections in Delhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom