Should there be any moderation for the 'Fight Club' forum?

Should there be any moderation for the 'Fight Club' forum?

• No, mods and admins should spend their valuable time minding their own business.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Yes, because looking after the forum IS their business.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Yes, but only for 'below the belt' posts.

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Uh...

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello!
First of all, I am not starting this thread to advocate that members should be given the license to break all rules in the Fight Club forum. In fact, there is nothing personal in this topic. So, please do not say later that I want moderation to be removed here so that I am safe from being 'miserabled' in future. In fact, I think there should be moderation in this forum.
So, why did I start this topic? Well, when I and gx_saurav were miserabled for a few days in the topic 'I Hate Macs!!!', many people requested that there should be no moderation in this forum. I wanted to see how many people actually support that notion. So, please vote in the poll and post replies to let us know.

mediator

Technomancer
I vote for "mild moderation"! Its normal in debates that people go off-topic, personal and start flaming each other. No one shud be banned or miserabled for such obvious and expected things. If things really start to deteriorate with no meaningful discussion then mods can just close the debate.

Everyone watches debates on TV news channels and Parliament. In parliament leaders not only get personal, but start throwing iron rods and chairs at each other. Thats the height of misery and the session is adjourned then!
So, Similar action shud be taken here only when necessary!

But what I see is people tend to initiate a debate in Non-Fight Club arenas and tend to get personal,start posting their philosophies and off-topic replies! If moderation is needed somewhere, then those areas are very much eligible!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
Everyone watches debates on TV news channels and Parliament. In parliament leaders not only get personal, but start throwing iron rods and chairs at each other. Thats the height of misery and the session is adjourned then!
So, Similar action shud be taken here only when necessary!

:D :D reminds me of U.P & Patna parliament

mediator

Technomancer
gx_saurav said:
:D :D reminds me of U.P & Patna parliament
For those leaders, a debate is not a debate until and unless some heavy weight stuff is thrown at each other and some muscle is shown!

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
mediator said:

you are comparing the misbehaving polish1tians with digit members , no dude ppl here are not that bad.

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Moderation is necessary to prevent things getting personal and flammable levels. Arguments in normal debates are countered by reasons and logical replies, not by "You are stupid..", "You flunked in school.." and such personal and unwarranted personal comments instead of logic. This is not debate but logical fallacy called argumentum ad hominem, which means attacking a person's character or person to enrage him and discredit him in a debate. I see a lot of this happening here (no names) and I think if parliament of India inpires them to sink low, bad idols...real bad.

Moderation is necessary to contain this and preserve the integrity of the forum and the goal of this forum. Sometimes it seems to go overboard but well, nothing is prefect and no one can be too careful.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
eddie said:
"No moderation" vote from my side.
Quote from "Fight Club" description

Well that wouldn't justify using personal and derogatory comments. I have more than a thick skin, bullet proof armory but then you can't withstand snipers with that..and so do a lot of other members. ;)

When someone says something like, "You are a toddler.", "Did your parents teach you this?", etc. it stops being a normal debates and turn towards a pathetically provoking personal attack when they have run out of logical arguments or find their position threatened. Its just like goons whipping out a gun when they can't wrestle hand to hand. In such situations its in best interests moderators intervene so that the fight doesn't go personal leading to bans.

mediator

Technomancer
AS I stated "mild moderation" is justified as from "Feb 2006" we have started to experience "troll" from some members. They call themselves "experienced" in each of the threads and then post personal comments, off-topic replies, try to deviate the topic even after repeated requests for not to. Not to mention the threads when the person asks some question to get his problem solved and all these "trolls" answer is their philosophies. e.g I remember a person started a thread "Audio quality poorer in FC5 than SuSE
" and the troll replied by saying "If you go to a doctor and say, "Doctor I'm not feeling well", do you expect the doctor to find your problem without your explaining anything?" and never gave the solution or hinted at one.

These "trolls" have their ego so high that they don't even understand what insults are. Not agreeing to them also sounds like an insult to them. And then they start posting personal comments. I think such kinda trolls shudn't be tolerated outside of FIGHT CLUB.

Also, I wud like to vote for moderation in "PM" thing as some trolls start flame war and personal comments in mailboxes after losing a debate! How pathetic can one get?

If anyone wanna see the nature of such trolls then he can PM me to see their extreme state of misery! :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mediator said:
Also, I wud like to vote for moderation in "PM" thing as some trolls start flame war and personal comments in mailboxes after losing a debate! How pathetic can one get?
I do not know about vBulletin but on InvisionBoard, it is possible to track personal messages. But I think it is highly impolite to track others' "private" messages. I wouldn't want someone to moderate my PMs.
mediator, if someone is irritating you with stupid PMs, stop replying. I am sure they will stop messaging you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom