Should i use a wireless access point or router?

rabjabber

Journeyman
i have a modem connected to linksys router at one floor of my house. i want something that can transmit the signals of that network to the other two floors.(that thing will be connected to linksys via ethernet). for this purpose i've tried using routers(belkin g wireless at one and netgear router at other). Now i feel that my network planner had been guiding me all wrong throughout. I feel that i'll be better off using single network with multiple access points on different floors, all connected amonst themselves with ethernet cable. will wireless AP serve this purpose without creating multiple networks? I have multiple computers on different floors which i want to remain connected with LAN as well.

i want to be able to view and edit documents from one computer to the other. And also there is a software which is only in one pc and i want to access it through all pc's. this is currently working with the use of netgear and belkin routers but i've to change network on laptops every time i change floors.

also is there a difference between WAP's and routers? if yes then what?

pls give me a detailed answer including as less technical terms as possible

Top Bottom