should I get PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hi Guys,

I am planning to purchase PS4, and totally confused on which one should I buy? Reasons being:

1) The price difference is huge (Slim 500GB @ Rs. 26990/- vs Pro 1TB @ Rs. 38990/-) The 1.50 firmware version features support of external hard drive (just like xbox one), so internal memory size is not an issue anymore.
2) By reading, I am liking the additional features of Pro i.e. 4k, HDR, PSVR, smoother gameplay.. but I am not sure if I really need those. I don't have any plans to get 4k display and I am not sure if I would ever get VR. I think when Indian market will be flooded with console/pc VR's, I would definetly be opting for PC VR instead of playstation (I own a gaming rig)
3) The size of slim would be really good for my play area, as it requires very less space. However, that would not be a problem if I get Pro because of its better functionality.
4) I want to have PS4 solely to play its exclusives. Its not going to be my whole sole gaming machine, as I already have xbox one and gaming PC.

I know all my points above shows that I am inclined more towards getting Slim instead of Pro, but the "Pro" mark + kind of future proofing is equally distracting. What you guys have to say?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
PS4 500 GB+ Uncharted 4 bundle sells for 260$ (around 17k) in USA.

Don't pay more premium, get the cheapest one possible in India (paytm: Buy Sony PlayStation PS4 Slim 500 GB Console Online at Low Prices in India - Paytm.co for 23800 including cashback)

Last edited:

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Vineet. PlayStation Slim is nothing but the regular PS4 in a smaller body with higher power efficiency. So buy the regular PS4 and save some money. Use it to buy a external HDD or games. I have the PS4 Pro and using it on a 1080p TV. I would recommend PS4 Pro if you want higher stable frames rates on 1080p resolution. Cant comment on 4k.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=317810]Stormbringer[/MENTION] there is no difference between pricing of regular PS4 and PS4 Slim, so Slim is the better option. Also, I dont think stable frame rates worth 11k extra for me. I like the "4K" tag but its not very much appealing to me. I think the slim option would be good for me :)

However, not sure if I should get it from Paytm.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
[MENTION=317810]Stormbringer[/MENTION] there is no difference between pricing of regular PS4 and PS4 Slim, so Slim is the better option. Also, I dont think stable frame rates worth 11k extra for me. I like the "4K" tag but its not very much appealing to me. I think the slim option would be good for me :)

However, not sure if I should get it from Paytm.

When it was launched PS4 Slim was costlier than PS4. Also Slim doesn't have optical audio port. Keep that in mind if you are planning to connect it to a home theater. About the Pro, the frame rates are not only stable and higher at native 1080p resolution. In the regular PS4 few games ran at 900p. It's upto you. I got the Pro from Dubai for 26k :D I haven't bought anything from Paytm. So can't advice on that.

gameranand

Living to Play
If you have the budget then go for PS4 Pro. PS4 slim is same as PS4 occupying less space. Also exclusive or not, they just run better on Pro, and TBH PS exclusives are worth getting a console as compared to crap exclusives of Xbone.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=317810]Stormbringer[/MENTION] Pro @ 26k?! Man, I wish I could get that deal :(
I can pay extra, but when I hear about deals like this (cheaper in Dubai, US etc.), it really bugs me off :|

Anyways, after your and [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION] advice, I am confused again. Thanks! :| [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION] xbone..lol! yes I agree that xbox can't compete with PS when it comes to exclusives. But I really bought it..eyes closed..only for the Halo series (big fan).

I think I should wait for sometime and get Pro, majorly for peace of mind (Pro is not in stock as of now).

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah paying several thousands just to save several inches of your table is not worth it. Buy it only if you getting it at the same price as PS4 or maybe 500-1000 bucks more. Anything more than that is waste of money.
From what I have read and heard, PS4 Pro is worth it and most of the titles are getting optimized for PS4 pro in greater degree than PS4. Prime examples being recent game releases which gave some problems with PS4 and inconsistent frame rates but on PS4 they ran pretty much flawlessly. Not to mention PSVR is also for Pro only and is good cheap solution if you want to get VR experience without shelling out lacs like in case of PC games.
So there is that...

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Man, I am currently watching fps comparison between Pro and standard PS4, and the results are not satisfactory! I am comparing only 1080p, as I am going to game at that resolution only

Last of Us remastered: constant 60 fps on Standard..while Pro giving 50-60fps
The Last of Us Remastered PS4 Pro vs PS4 Gameplay Frame-Rate Test - YouTub

The Last Guardian: 30 fps on Pro... 24-30 fps on standard
[4K] The Last Guardian PS4 vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test - YouTub

FF15: same performance on both..30 fps
Final Fantasy 15 PS4 vs PS4 Pro Gameplay Frame-Rate Test - YouTub

Maybe its happening because these games are not optimized for Pro yet?

gameranand

Living to Play
Most of the time Pro runs at better resolutions than PS4. Horizon Zero Dawn performs at higher resolution on pro. More games are not exactly coming to my mind but I have seen various reviewers citing that game is running better on Pro.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Man, I am currently watching fps comparison between Pro and standard PS4, and the results are not satisfactory! I am comparing only 1080p, as I am going to game at that resolution only

Last of Us remastered: constant 60 fps on Standard..while Pro giving 50-60fps
The Last of Us Remastered PS4 Pro vs PS4 Gameplay Frame-Rate Test - YouTub

The Last Guardian: 30 fps on Pro... 24-30 fps on standard
[4K] The Last Guardian PS4 vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test - YouTub

FF15: same performance on both..30 fps
Final Fantasy 15 PS4 vs PS4 Pro Gameplay Frame-Rate Test - YouTub

Maybe its happening because these games are not optimized for Pro yet?

Hey bro. While comparing the frame rates check the resolution too and how is it being rendered. Many titles on PS4 works at 900p or else use a technique called checkerboard tech(same used in PS4 for few titles for gaming at 4k ) and upscale to 1080p. PS4 Pro on the other hand plays all games in native 1080p afaik. Few game developers have came out with patches to make use of PS4 Pro Hardware. Many haven't. And in some games which are not graphically intensive, there wont be any difference. Also all these games you cited are already released games. Future games will definitely make use of the PS4 Pro HW for better performance in 1080p. So keeping all this in mind, PS4 Pro makes a better choice even for 1080p gaming. If money is a constraint only then get the cheapest regular PS4.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
If you have a TV that supports 4K HDR, get the PS4 pro else the Slim will suffice. [YOUTUBE]M845vvAWD3s[/YOUTUBE]

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Thank you [MENTION=317810]Stormbringer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=57860]thetechfreak[/MENTION] for your inputs,

So the way I see it (finally!), there is no use for me to spend extra on PS4 Pro. Reasons being:

1) I don't own 4k display and I really have no interest in getting it because I personally feel its more of a marketing gimmick rather than being an actual improvement.
2) The Pro is not native 4k. It just have much better upscaling technologies than a standard 4k TV. Well, its common sense because Pro is approx. 30% faster than standard/slim version with exactly same hardware. That alone cannot make it to deliver 4 times of present pixels count.
Link to source: PS4 Pro Upscaling and Native 4K: It's Hard to Tell the Differenc . Somehow, even if I get a 4k display in future, I know I'd be happy with TV's upscaling technology.
3) I don't know for sure, but the guy in above video said that PSVR will work with PS4 as well, it won't be exclusive to Pro version. Anyways, I already own a gaming system and I would anyday get VR gear for my PC rather than for my console, If I ever get into VR.
4) HDR feature is in for every PS4 variant. So, that is also checked.
5) In last, the Pro is supposed to give more stable FPS with *little* better graphics improvement than standard/Slim, which is the only point I am considering. However, I personally don't think that is good enough to spend extra.

Considering all points, the deal of getting Slim @ 24k rather than getting Pro @ 39k is just too sweet! :D

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
okay guys, so I finally ordered Pro version. I thought far off and concluded, maybe it will become one of the primary reasons to buy a 4k TV at some point of time :D

I'll get it by 8 PM today.
Will share pics as I get it.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, got it and tried Uncharted (Nathan Drake collection). I never played on original PS4 but this is definitely superior than playing on xbox. The overall UI, graphics system is much better. However, I think the xbox controller is much better than PS one in terms of button response and gripping.

Some pics:

IMG_20170320_200209.jpg
IMG_20170320_200215.jpg
IMG_20170320_215900.jpg
IMG_20170320_215908.jpg
IMG_20170320_215946.jpg

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
okay guys, so I finally ordered Pro version. I thought far off and concluded, maybe it will become one of the primary reasons to buy a 4k TV at some point of time :D

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, got it and tried Uncharted (Nathan Drake collection). I never played on original PS4 but this is definitely superior than playing on xbox. The overall UI, graphics system is much better. However, I think the xbox controller is much better than PS one in terms of button response and gripping.

Some pics:

View attachment 16728
View attachment 16729
View attachment 16730
View attachment 16731
View attachment 16732

Congrats!!!

gameranand

Living to Play

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics:

View attachment 16728
View attachment 16729
View attachment 16730
View attachment 16731
View attachment 16732

Congrats. Yes, playing with PS controller will take some getting used to it but its nice as well. Now buy Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne etc exclusive and play them. :)

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Thanks [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION]! yes I have my eyes on sales for PS4 games now ;)
My hands are big and I have this feeling that PS4 controllers are designed for smaller hands, whereas xbox controllers are absolutely perfect in every term. Maybe because Sony is Japanese (Asians usually have small hands) and Microsoft is American (people with bigger hands)

Top Bottom