Should I buy External DVD Optical drive/Writer or Internal DVD Optical Drive/Writer?

ajayritik

Technomancer
My existing Asus DVD ROM Back pin has broken and hence I need to get a new DVD ROM. Since I have multiple HDD's I thought it's better to get an external DVD ROM so that I can get rid of the hassle of disconnecting the HDD's everytime.

Can someone suggest a good brand.
If there are issues with external DVD ROM vs Internal then I will opt for Internal.
But ideally would prefer External DVD ROM.

Kindly share your views.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Need suggestion on External DVD ROM

I think external DVD drives are better than external HDDs ;) Anyway, what you will get now is DVD writer. My preference is Liteon > LG > Lenovo > HP.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

^^ I know when I bought DVD ROM Drives earlier say maybe 5-6 years back I was always suggested to go for Liteon.
I remember seeing Samsung ones locally.
Will appreciate if anyone can post links for ones available online.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone suggest which one to go among these?
*www.flipkart.com/liteon-etau108-external-dvd-drive/p/itmdeh4xk2wgg65a

*www.snapdeal.com/brand/liteon
*www.snapdeal.com/product/liteon-external-dvdrwetau108/635261

*www.amazon.in/Liteon-External-DVD-Writer-eBAU108/dp/B00HZDRS64

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

eTAU108 is a little older model but it looks nice. If you don't mind the looks then eBAU108 is a great alternative. Performance wise both are excellent so you can't go wrong with either. The only advantage with a new model may be is better compatibility but a firmware update can always fix that.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

eTAU108 is a little older model but it looks nice. If you don't mind the looks then eBAU108 is a great alternative. Performance wise both are excellent so you can't go wrong with either. The only advantage with a new model may be is better compatibility but a firmware update can always fix that.

Since it's weekend maybe I will get more replies. Will wait for more responses. Thanks [MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION] for your thoughts.
Just now my cousin pniged and told me that online purchase may have issues with service later. So he is suggesting to buy at a local store.
Kindly please let me know your views.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's just some distributors which are causing issues but with most of the products you won't face any such issue as long as you have proper bill and the item is imported through proper channel. While making online purchase try to get items from seller with highest rating to to be on the safer side.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

Guys I'm sure there are many people out there who know about External DVD Writers and how they are better or not better when compared to Internal DVD writers.
Please let me know your views as to whether External DVD writer will serve my purpose or it's not worth it.
What may be the specific purpose of External DVD Writer and if it's worth getting a new one.

Also can any mod please edit the Title of the thread by adding a Suffix 'Writer'.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

Guys sorry for bumping into an old thread again.
Just want to know perspective of Internal Vs External DVD Writer
Which one would be better?
I don't mind shelling out the extra bucks for the External DVD Writer.
Kindly suggest the pros and cons for both.
I would need a DVD writer for occasional burning say once a month or once in two months.

ankitj1611

Journeyman

I suggest you to go for Liteon.

I think external DVD drives are better than external HDDs ;) Anyway, what you will get now is DVD writer. My preference is Liteon > LG > Lenovo > HP.

Hello I also have Liteon slimtype esau208 External Slim DVD Drive
At purchased time i didn't new that Liteon is that much good.But now after reading your suggestions above I think i made right decision 1 (one) year back.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

At purchased time i didn't new that Liteon is that much good.But now after reading your suggestions above I think i made right decision 1 (one) year back.

I was looking for suggestion not asking you to compare with someone's post.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

I suggest you to go for Liteon.

Didn't you find the answer.I recommend Liteon slimptype only .I am using it from past 1 year and its running good no problem at all.

All the three replies are based on the title thread.
However I asked altogether a different question.
It would have helped if you had read the last post would have helped my current dilemna.
For a sec I thought you are trying to post just to increast your posts.
Thanks anyways for your reply.

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."

All the three replies are based on the title thread.
However I asked altogether a different question.
It would have helped if you had read the last post would have helped my current dilemna.
For a sec I thought you are trying to post just to increast your posts.
Thanks anyways for your reply.

IMO, external DVD writer is better. Since you have no preference, i suggest you go for external as you would be able to store it away when you don't need it. If you do not read/write DVD's so frequently, then an external one is good. Internal one would just increases count of wires inside the cabinet, take up one portion of your PSU power connector, also don't forget the extra cleaning trouble (i know i sound like i am just writing stuff to increase the line count so that i get better marks in my exams :D) and from my experience with them, 2 DVD writers have gone band in the past 3 years, although i use an external one by Lenovo which serves my purpose. #MyChoice :p

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer

IMO, external DVD writer is better. Since you have no preference, i suggest you go for external as you would be able to store it away when you don't need it. If you do not read/write DVD's so frequently, then an external one is good. Internal one would just increases count of wires inside the cabinet, take up one portion of your PSU power connector, also don't forget the extra cleaning trouble (i know i sound like i am just writing stuff to increase the line count so that i get better marks in my exams :D) and from my experience with them, 2 DVD writers have gone band in the past 3 years, although i use an external one by Lenovo which serves my purpose. #MyChoice :p

I think write speed of External is slower and my cousin was suggesting an internal one.
Ok will wait for couple of more suggestions before taking final call.

- - - Updated - - -

Do we still get LightScribe DVD Writer in the market?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
External DVD writers are beneficial if you have multiple PC's. But DVD writers are something which you don't necessarily need to unplug and plug like an external HDD. So its good if it's fixed in the PC.
Anyway, it's just boils down to convinience and sometimes cost.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have one guy suggesting to go for External and other Internal and this seems to be confusing me more.
I would have gone for the External Drive but I think the write speeds are one let down for not chosing it unanimously.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If it's that difficult to choose, buy both. :p
Or fill up this questionnaire:

1. How many PC you have at home (including laptops)?
2. How many of them have DVD writers?
3. If you don't have more than one PC in home, do you plan to buy one in near future?
4. Do you plan to travel with DVD writer and/or plan to use it with friend's?
5. Are you OK with friends asking to borrow your DVD writer (cause if it's external, they would sure do).
6. What is the price difference? If it's negligible or if you don't mind the difference, then this ignore this point.
7. Finally, how many DVD's you are planning to burn in an average daily? Since if less than 1 or 2, speed doesn't matter much.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
1. How many PC you have at home (including laptops)? only 1 PC
2. How many of them have DVD writers?Currently using IDE DVD Writer of my cousin
3. If you don't have more than one PC in home, do you plan to buy one in near future?maybe a laptop not sure
4. Do you plan to travel with DVD writer and/or plan to use it with friend's?No
5. Are you OK with friends asking to borrow your DVD writer (cause if it's external, they would sure do).Depends on who it is.
6. What is the price difference? If it's negligible or if you don't mind the difference, then this ignore this point.
7. Finally, how many DVD's you are planning to burn in an average daily? Since if less than 1 or 2, speed doesn't matter much.Answer below

My thing is I may not do burning often but whenever I need to do then it maybe 3 to 4 at one go. Maybe once a month or maybe once in two months or it can be adhoc if someone requests to burn some movies which doesn't happen often but if it happens I wouldn't want to spend too much time on burning.

Top Bottom