Should I buy a PS3 now?

Gollum

Collector
[MENTION=85950]Gollum[/MENTION] i want to ask this creative question :D

if i buy a PSN account lets say for 3 months without a ps3 is it possible to buy the free games without ps3 ? i mean buy now through app or website account of play store and download it later when ps3 comes.. since once the free game is bought in a psn account it stays with that account forever and is free to play as long as the subscription is active right ?

thing is i have observed in some months sony gives some big free games some months the games aren't that exciting so it would be pretty smart to have subscription for a month in which great games are offered , buy it and then play it later :D or are the games cycled and repeated ? big games that is ?
you are right about the retention of games. i have never bought anything from web version of psn. i dont think you can create an account without having the console. Since i haven't tried this, i suggest you to at least give it a shot.

masterkd

Padawan
If you want a PS, IMO don't go for PS4 now at least. The games are too expensive. Also there are lots of good games available for PS3 which you can play for long time.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys, don't want to hijack this thread but is it safe buying a modded ps3??? What would be the problems i could face??? Will i have to remod everytime there's a new software update???

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey guys, don't want to hijack this thread but is it safe buying a modded ps3??? What would be the problems i could face??? Will i have to remod everytime there's a new software update???

What kind of mod? Cobra ODE or custom firmware?

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
I don't know... What are these mods???

Cobra ODE is a hardware mod while CFW is software mod.
You should buy a ps3 running CFW instead of cobra ODE.

The only problem you can face with cfw is accidentally updating to official firmware. You have to be careful with that as new games or PSN might ask you to update before playing.
You can get updated custom firmware from sites like psx-scene.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Cobra ODE is a hardware mod while CFW is software mod.
You should buy a ps3 running CFW instead of cobra ODE.

The only problem you can face with cfw is accidentally updating to official firmware. You have to be careful with that as new games or PSN might ask you to update before playing.
You can get updated custom firmware from sites like psx-scene.
Thanks for the info... Will I be able to flash the cfw myself if I buy a PS3 or will I have to buy a modded one???

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for the info... Will I be able to flash the cfw myself if I buy a PS3 or will I have to buy a modded one???

You can flash it yourself
But U can flash a cfw ONLY if official firmware is 3.55 or lower. You cant find a new ps3 running 3.55 or lower ofw now.
Your only option would be to buy a used ps3 running cfw.

You can update a 3.55 cfw to newer cfw like 4.50 rogero cfw. But you cant update 4.50 ofw to 4.50 cfw.

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
You can flash it yourself
But U can flash a cfw ONLY if official firmware is 3.55 or lower. You cant find a new ps3 running 3.55 or lower ofw now.
Your only option would be to buy a used ps3 running cfw.

You can update a 3.55 cfw to newer cfw like 4.50 rogero cfw. But you can update 4.50 ofw to 4.50 cfw.
Didn't get the last line... Did you mean that I CANNOT update 4.5 ofw to 4.5 cfw???

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Didn't get the last line... Did you mean that I CANNOT update 4.5 ofw to 4.5 cfw???
sorry that was a typo.
Yes, You can't update 4.50 ofw to 4.50 cfw

If you have a ps3 with 3.56 or above ofw. U cant install cfw on it.

If you have a ps3 running 3.55 ofw or lower. U can install 3.55cfw on it and update it to the latest cfw.

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
sorry that was a typo.
Yes, You can't update 4.50 ofw to 4.50 cfw

If you have a ps3 with 3.56 or above ofw. U cant install cfw on it.

If you have a ps3 running 3.55 ofw or lower. U can install 3.55cfw on it and update it to the latest cfw.
Okay... Thanks for the info...
Will have to find one with 3.55 or below...
Am guessing the online stores like Flipkart, Amazon, etc. have units with newer firmware...
So, what now??? Ebay??? Or, is there some other site??? :)

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay... Thanks for the info...
Will have to find one with 3.55 or below...
Am guessing the online stores like Flipkart, Amazon, etc. have units with newer firmware...
So, what now??? Ebay??? Or, is there some other site??? :)

3.55 or lower ofw ps3 slims were available till med 2011. U cant find a new one now.

Try finding a used ps3 running 3.55 or any newer cfw

rish1

Cyborg Agent
whats the use if they can't be played online after using CFW ? better to play them on PC if you want to go that route

plus the old ps3 with 3.55 firmware will be selling expensive and will have very less life..

Much better to buy the latest one plus buy used games and sell it off after playing them on ivg.. along with a ps plus subscription and enjoy full features instead of paying more for CFW edition

you are right about the retention of games. i have never bought anything from web version of psn. i dont think you can create an account without having the console. Since i haven't tried this, i suggest you to at least give it a shot.

thanks will give it a shot later..

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
whats the use if they can't be played online after using CFW ? better to play them on PC if you want to go that route

plus the old ps3 with 3.55 firmware will be selling expensive and will have very less life..

Much better to buy the latest one plus buy used games and sell it off after playing them on ivg.. along with a ps plus subscription and enjoy full features instead of paying more for CFW edition
Okay... Will weigh my options accordingly... :)

OP
D

Deleted member 118788

I have hooked my PC to TV through HDMI. Playing with the controller and sitting on the couch feels more comfortable while gaming.

Top Bottom