Should i buy a new PC?

sandeep410

Journeyman
My Current PC graphics card just died.It was core2duo with 9800gt.
Pc hard disk seems to be too sloow and sometimes it doesnt gets detected.
Is it worth to buy a entire new PC.My current PC is 4 years OLD.There are also some problems with motherboard.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:1st Main priority gaming,2nd heavy engg CAD work.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Whats VFM

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:50k hopefully

4. Planning to overclock?
A:Yes

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:1 TB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:above 1600 res, atleast 20'' not more than 25 Should be 3D monitor only

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:8

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:I have built but i like it to be done by assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:Month or two

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:Mouse,Keyboard,speakers

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Mumbai,No

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I need more than 6gb ram,and a good Branded PSU with 600W atleast

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:above 1600 res, atleast 20'' not more than 25 Should be 3D monitor only

Before mentioing config, I would like to suggest you that buying a 3D monitor isn't a good vfm option IMO.

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2500k|10800
Motherboard |MSI Z68A GD55 B3|10100
RAM |Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL|1550
Graphic Card |Sapphire HD 6870|11700
HDD |Seagate 250GB 7200.12|4200
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1100
PSU |Corsair GS 600|3900
Case |NZXT Gamma|2000
Monitor |Benq G2220HD|6950
UPS |APC 800VA|2800
| Total |55100

And only 250GB HDD is included cause, price of HDD is very much high atm. Wait for 3-4 months and them buy 1TB HDD. 4GB RAM is included, you can buy same model of RAM module for another 1.5K or 2X 4GB modules @2.9K

OP
S

sandeep410

Journeyman
Before mentioing config, I would like to suggest you that buying a 3D monitor isn't a good vfm option IMO.

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2500k|10800
Motherboard |MSI Z68A GD55 B3|10100
RAM |Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL|1550
Graphic Card |Sapphire HD 6870|11700
HDD |Seagate 250GB 7200.12|4200
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1100
PSU |Corsair GS 600|3900
Case |NZXT Gamma|2000
Monitor |Benq G2220HD|6950
UPS |APC 800VA|2800
| Total |55100

And only 250GB HDD is included cause, price of HDD is very much high atm. Wait for 3-4 months and them buy 1TB HDD. 4GB RAM is included, you can buy same model of RAM module for another 1.5K or 2X 4GB modules @2.9K
May i ask reason why
Why is 250Gb HDD at a price of 4k bec my freind bought 500gb for 1.8k 3 months ago.
Is it necessary to buy a 10k motherboard. Arnt the 5k ones any good?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Harddisk price has been increased like hell in the last couple of months due to Flood in Thailand, causing the clouser of the HDD manufacturing facilities of Seagate and WD over there.

If you want to overclock with the Sandybridge based processors, then you need a Intel K series processor and Z68/P67 chipset based motherboard. Now even the standard Z68 boards which can be used for overclocking are over 8K.

kapilove77

Padawan
Harddisk price has been increased like hell in the last couple of months due to Flood in Taiwan, causing the clouser of the HDD manufacturing facilities of Seagate and WD over there.

If you want to overclock with the Sandybridge based processors, then you need a Intel K series processor and Z68/P67 chipset based motherboard. Now even the standard Z68 boards which can be used for overclocking are over 8K.

Taiwan? :shock: or Thailand? :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you want to overclock & don't have the budget for a 10k mobo then get a 6-7k phenom II BE processor & a 5-6k mobo & you can still overclock pretty good.

OP
S

sandeep410

Journeyman
I dont think i will be overclocking motherboard just my graphics card.
Whats the cheapest harddisk i can get for 1.5k something.
Is SSD any better for gaming?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
overclock in general is associated with cpu & not gpu.if you are not going to overclock then i5 2500k is a waste of money for you.get i5 2400/2300 along with a 5k H67 intel mobo(good one just no overclocking of processor).at present you won't get a new hard disk for 1.5k & as for SSD certain games may load a few second faster after you launch them but main factor is always the graphics card.

OP
S

sandeep410

Journeyman
How much difference does overclocking a CPU will make and will it void its warranty.
How good is that 6870 graphics card and whats nvdia equivalent to that.I like nvdia graphics card more bec of better driver support and physx.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it depends on how much you overclock.also overclocking processor or graphics card voids any warranty.for comparable nvidia cards since i don't play games i can't comment so wait for others/gamers.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I dont think i will be overclocking motherboard just my graphics card.
Whats the cheapest harddisk i can get for 1.5k something.
Is SSD any better for gaming?

If you don't want to overclock processor, then best combo for you is:
Intel Core i5 2400 @ 9.4K
Intel DH67CL-B3 @ 5.4K

Total: 14.8K only.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
How much difference does overclocking a CPU will make and will it void its warranty.
How good is that 6870 graphics card and whats nvdia equivalent to that.I like nvdia graphics card more bec of better driver support and physx.

amd drivers are ok now. No issues.

And i will suggest you to wait for HD7000 coming in jan.

OP
S

sandeep410

Journeyman
when HD7000 comes its price will be way too high.Anyway whats a good nvidia card for same performance of hd 6870

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
it seems that hd 7000 which is going to be released is the mobile version of the current hd 6000 series so it seems that wait should be long ..
check this link
AMD's Radeon 7000M and Nvidia's GeForce 600M Mobile GPUs
Also i was wondering how does gtx 560Ti compare against HD 6870

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Performance-wise HD 6870 < 560ti.

But in some games 6870 performs slightly better than 560ti.

Top Bottom