should i build new pc or upgrade existing???

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Gigabyte B75M-D3H is a mATX board whereas Intel DH67CL is ATX.
Both the mobos have usb3.0 ports in the back panel but B75M-D3H has a usb3.0 internal header.

Intel DH67CL supports LucidLogix Virtu GPU virtualization softwarewhich the B75M-D3H doesn't.
Virtu is important if you are using a discrete GPU and still want to make use of quick sync(intel's video transcoding engine)
which is a much faster solution for video encoding through the applications which support.
Gigabyte B75M-D3H offers a PCIe3.0 x16lane which would work as PCIe3.0 only with
a ivy bridge processor.With sandy bridge it would work as PCIe2.0.But that's nothing to worry as PCIe2.0 x16 lanes are much more than enough.

acewin

Point Blanc
virtualization has increased in general usage, where in normal users also run Virtual machines for the benefit of running two OSes simultaneously. And also in terms of technology has also improved. Most of the new proccy and mobos support hardware virtualization.
intel still holds its forte where core to core performance is very good.
With VM softwares dedicatedly using HW benefits. Now before you boot your VM you can allocate a dedicated core as well as RAM allotment for the VM you are running, this benefits over all performance. Other cores not dedicated for VMs clear up hosts task and dedicated core clears up tasks in VM using the RAM alloted.

When I started working on VMs around 4 year backs there was not enuf general knowledge for VMs and their benefits as well HW support was also not available. Now everyone can use them for just the thrill of running two OSes and development etc etc. There are opensource/free softwares available as well like VirtualBox, Xen, Microsoft made its Virtual PC software a free software.

If running windows as host you can think of saying visual studio works faster on intel, but will be different if u are running it inside a VM. Having more core alloted to the VM is a benefit which we cannot calculate direct away. We have many apps now but still not everyone try to utilize more cores that is why intel has an edge even in virtualzation

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
d6bmg...don't make generalised statements.Check the things first.Real advantage of fx8150/8120 can only be felt in case of more core usage simultaneoulsy.
fx is much slower in per core performance.
In general it is not that in all multi-threaded programs under windows7 fx will be faster.Depends upon the degree of multi-threading.

VT-X and VT-D come into play while running VM(s), be it single instance or multiple instance. For more info, see wikipedia. I'm not making any generalized statement or at least I try not to make any.

P.S. Ever tried to run or stimulate any virtual OS in your PC? If you had, then you won't be suggesting wrong processor+mobo to the OP.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
VT-X and VT-D come into play while running VM(s), be it single instance or multiple instance. For more info, see wikipedia. I'm not making any generalized statement or at least I try not to make any.

P.S. Ever tried to run or stimulate any virtual OS in your PC? If you had, then you won't be suggesting wrong processor+mobo to the OP.

You don't seem to read things properly or don't understand things.I have clearly stated that i5 2400 supports both VT-x and VT-d.
It's the k series sandy bridge processors like i5 2500k which don't support VT-d.
What are you trying to make me understand??
I have already written about VT-d in my earlier posts.I have clearly explained in which applications and which scenarios of vitualisation which processor is more suitable.
OP understood the things and made his choice as per requirement.
I have nowhere mentioned that fx is bad.
And yes I have experience with virtualisation.

That's why read,understand and check things clearly first before commenting/posting.Better not post anything than posting random stuffs and generalised statements which can confuse OP.
Better read some sites and know about something than posting crap stuffs in the thread which is not required.

@ Kirankj1724
8GB RAM is more than enough if you are not running many VMs at a time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom